Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problems with "grep -vf", and exclusion files Post 302877442 by frank_rizzo on Sunday 1st of December 2013 10:59:59 AM
Old 12-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lassiter
A blank "out" file is quickly created, but the command line doesn't report that it the command has finished. It just hangs. I am careful, by the way, not to have blank lines in my "exclude" file. top tells me that the grep process is still working hard (100% of CPU!), but the "out" file remains blank. That's what I call "never-never land".
The output file is not "blank" -- it's a zero length file. Any time you use the redirection operator > in a command line it will immediately truncate the file to zero regardless of file size. This happens before grep gets executes.

I am not sure why the CPU is pegged with your test case but I wanted to clarify that behaviour.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep to find content in between curly braces, "{" and "},"

problem String ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ icecream= { smart peopleLink "good" LC "happy" , smartpeopleLink "dull" LC "sad" } aend = {smart vc4 eatr kalu} output needed ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ smart peopleLink "good" LC "happy" , smartpeopleLink "dull" LC "sad" smart vc4... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: keshav_rk
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls -laR | grep "^-" | awk '{print $9}'| grep "$.txt"

Hi, I don't know hot to make this command work: ls -laR | grep "^-" | awk '{print $9}'| grep "$.txt" It should return the list of file .txt It's important to search .txt at the end of the line, becouse some file name have "txt" in their name but have other extensions (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
13 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use the "grep/egrep" command to search files.

Hi Team, I am new to this forum and also trying to learn Unix. I will highly appriciate your help if you can help me to get the right command . {{{ I use the command " today | egrep '(10:| 11: )' | grep ERROR " to grep all the files that has been error betweeen 10 to 11... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkhanal
6 Replies

5. AIX

xx=`date +"%a %b %d"`;rsh xxx grep "^$XX" zzz ?

AIX 4.2 I am trying to do an rsh grep to search for date records inside server logs by doing this : xx=`date +"%a %b %d"` rsh xxx grep "^$XX" zzz gives : grep: 0652-033 Cannot open Jun. grep: 0652-033 Cannot open 11. But if I do : xx=`date +"%a %b %d"` grep "^$XX" zzz it works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ps -ef | grep "string1" "string2" " "string3"

Hi all, can any one suggest me the script to grep multiple strings from ps -ef pls correct the below script . its not working/ i want to print OK if all the below process are running in my solaris system. else i want to print NOT OK. bash-3.00$ ps -ef | grep blu lscpusr 48 42 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve2216
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with "[" and "]" and "dot" within the search string

Hello. Following recommendations for one of my threads, this is working perfectly : #!/bin/bash CNT=$( grep -c -e "some text 1" -e "some text 2" -e "some text 3" "/tmp/log_file.txt" ) Now I need a grep success for some thing like : #!/bin/bash CNT=$( grep -c -e "some text_1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents, I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out: for filename in $(find /var/log/test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
2 Replies
g3cat(1)						       mgetty+sendfax manual							  g3cat(1)

NAME
g3cat - concatenate multiple g3 documents SYNOPSIS
g3cat [-l] [-a] g3-file1 ... DESCRIPTION
g3cat concatenates g3 files. These can either be 'raw', that is, bitmaps packed according to the CCITT T.4 standard for one-dimensional bitmap encoding, or 'digifax' files, created by GNU's GhostScript package with the digifax drivers. Its output is a concatenation of all the input files, in raw G3 format, with two white lines in between. If a - is given as input file, stdin is used. If the input data is malformed, a warning is printed to stderr, and the output file will have a blank line at this place. OPTIONS
-l separate files with a one-pixel wide black line. -h <blank lines> specifies the number of blank lines g3cat should prepend to each page. Default is 0. -L <lines> limit lenght of output page to maximum <lines> lines. SPECIAL-CASE OPTIONS -w <width> specifies the desired page width in pixels per line. Default is 1728 PELs, and this is mandatory if you want to send the fax to a standard fax machine. If one of the input files doesn't match this line width (for example because it was created by a broken G3 creator), a warning is printed, and the line width is transparently fixed. -a byte-align the end-of-line codes (EOL) in the file. Every EOL will end at a byte boundary, that is, with a 01 byte. -p <pad> specifies a minimum number of bytes that each output line must be padded to. Padding is done with 0-bits before the EOL code. -R suppress output of end-of-page code (RTC). Example The following example will put a header line on a given g3 page, 'page1' and put the result into 'page2': echo '$header' | pbmtext | pbm2g3 | g3cat - page1 >page2 FILES
-- BUGS
Hopefully none :-). SEE ALSO
g32pbm(1), sendfax(8), faxspool(1) AUTHORS
g3cat is Copyright (C) 1993 by Gert Doering, <gert@greenie.muc.de> greenie 27 Oct 93 g3cat(1)