Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Format unit requires destructive mode??? Post 302877425 by edspit on Sunday 1st of December 2013 07:33:57 AM
Old 12-01-2013
I tried what you suggested on WinXp and it recognized the SCSI Seagate disk. When I reinstalled it in the HP-UX 9000/742 computer I got the same error. I skipped over the support disk format function and went to the HP-UX installation disk phase. Everything installed correctly until the last step where I had to do an update on the X window screen. It stopped updating and I got a memory dump error. I did a reboot and got this error: cannot read block 17363328. It suggested to use fsck interactively. Not sure how to do that. Thanks, one again, in advance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't use sendmail ( Program mode requires special privileges)

I just updated sendmail to the newest version and got into this trouble. Somehow only can root can use sendmail while the other users will simply get "SMTP went away" when using pine or "can not chdir(/var/spool/mqueue/): Permission denied Program mode requires special privileges, e.g., root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Micz
1 Replies

2. SuSE

Convet Linux OS from text mode to graphic mode

Hi All, I used to have my suse linux(VM) server in graphic mode but not anymore since morning. I cant rolback since i loose somuch work. Any idea how to it back to normal. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Self destructive script

How should i write a script so that the script will destroy(delete) itself once it completes execution. Thanks? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is the difference between single line mode and multiline mode in Regular expressions?

Hi All, Can please let me know what is the difference between the single line mode and multi line mode in regular expresions? Thanks, Chidhambaram B (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidhu.anu
3 Replies

5. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

is mdadm --incremental --rebuild --run --scan destructive?

Hello Unix Community: My task to figure out how to add a 20G volume to an existing EBS Array (RAID0) at AWS. I haven't been told that growing the existing volumes isn't an option, or adding another larger volume to the existing array is the way to go. The client's existing data-store is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

Load average unit

Hi, On load average graph, unit is 100m, 200m, 300...800m. I don't understand what it means. Thx for helping (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michenux
3 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Destructive one word unix commands

Hi I'm trying to hack a web server as part of an assignment and have gotten it to exec commands but I cannot pass commands arguments as the program splits up space separated words and only execs the first one. Is there anything I can pass to cause any sort of damage in one word? Btw webserver runs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aydinh
1 Replies

8. Solaris

DNS service is in maintenance mode. How to bring it back to online mode?

:confused: when i tried to look the status of DNS-client, it is in maintenance mode..... Please tell me how to bring it back to online mode...PLEASE TELL ME STEP BY STEP.... PLEASE... :wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

From a C++ application how to find if a hpux host is in standard mode or trusted mode

is there a way for my C++ application to find out which mode the hpux OS is running in? standard mode or trusted mode. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: einsteinBrain
3 Replies
FSCK.MINIX(8)                                                  System Administration                                                 FSCK.MINIX(8)

NAME
fsck.minix - check consistency of Minix filesystem SYNOPSIS
fsck.minix [options] device DESCRIPTION
fsck.minix performs a consistency check for the Linux MINIX filesystem. The program assumes the filesystem is quiescent. fsck.minix should not be used on a mounted device unless you can be sure nobody is writ- ing to it. Remember that the kernel can write to device when it searches for files. The device name will usually have the following form: /dev/hda[1-63] IDE disk 1 /dev/hdb[1-63] IDE disk 2 /dev/sda[1-15] SCSI disk 1 /dev/sdb[1-15] SCSI disk 2 If the filesystem was changed, i.e., repaired, then fsck.minix will print "FILE SYSTEM HAS CHANGED" and will sync(2) three times before exiting. There is no need to reboot after check. WARNING
fsck.minix should not be used on a mounted filesystem. Using fsck.minix on a mounted filesystem is very dangerous, due to the possibility that deleted files are still in use, and can seriously damage a perfectly good filesystem! If you absolutely have to run fsck.minix on a mounted filesystem, such as the root filesystem, make sure nothing is writing to the disk, and that no files are "zombies" waiting for deletion. OPTIONS
-l, --list List all filenames. -r, --repair Perform interactive repairs. -a, --auto Perform automatic repairs. This option implies --repair and serves to answer all of the questions asked with the default. Note that this can be extremely dangerous in the case of extensive filesystem damage. -v, --verbose Be verbose. -s, --super Output super-block information. -m, --uncleared Activate MINIX-like "mode not cleared" warnings. -f, --force Force a filesystem check even if the filesystem was marked as valid. Marking is done by the kernel when the filesystem is unmounted. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. DIAGNOSTICS
There are numerous diagnostic messages. The ones mentioned here are the most commonly seen in normal usage. If the device does not exist, fsck.minix will print "unable to read super block". If the device exists, but is not a MINIX filesystem, fsck.minix will print "bad magic number in super-block". EXIT CODES
The exit code returned by fsck.minix is the sum of the following: 0 No errors 3 Filesystem errors corrected, system should be rebooted if filesystem was mounted 4 Filesystem errors left uncorrected 7 Combination of exit codes 3 and 4 8 Operational error 16 Usage or syntax error AUTHORS
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi> Error code values by Rik Faith <faith@cs.unc.edu> Added support for filesystem valid flag: Dr. Wettstein <greg%wind.uucp@plains.nodak.edu>. Check to prevent fsck of mounted filesystem added by Daniel Quinlan <quinlan@yggdrasil.com>. Minix v2 fs support by Andreas Schwab <schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de>, updated by Nicolai Langfeldt <janl@math.uio.no>. Portability patch by Russell King <rmk@ecs.soton.ac.uk>. SEE ALSO
fsck(8), fsck.ext2(8), mkfs(8), mkfs.ext2(8), mkfs.minix(8), reboot(8) AVAILABILITY
The fsck.minix command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2015 FSCK.MINIX(8)