Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Format unit requires destructive mode??? Post 302877395 by hicksd8 on Saturday 30th of November 2013 04:07:16 PM
Old 11-30-2013
I am not a HP-UX expert (my forte is Solaris/SCO/Linux) but I have seen such things before. My immediate thoughts are:

1. The disk has been used in another environment (or came from the factory) with a register value set on a mode page on the SCSI drive which is causing this, or,
2. Some O/S's don't like to overwrite partition tables written by other O/S's.

I suggest that, if possible, you put the drive into a PC and try installing Windows on it. Does it object to that? If not, run the Windows install routine again and, when prompted, remove all partitions but DON'T create any new partitions. Simply turn the PC off when no partitions are present and put the drive back into the HP system.

As far as (1) above is concerned, I don't know how to get a HP-UX system to "set mode pages to default" on a SCSI drive. However, this may be what is required. (If you've got a Solaris box there I can tell you how to do it).

Last edited by hicksd8; 11-30-2013 at 05:14 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't use sendmail ( Program mode requires special privileges)

I just updated sendmail to the newest version and got into this trouble. Somehow only can root can use sendmail while the other users will simply get "SMTP went away" when using pine or "can not chdir(/var/spool/mqueue/): Permission denied Program mode requires special privileges, e.g., root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Micz
1 Replies

2. SuSE

Convet Linux OS from text mode to graphic mode

Hi All, I used to have my suse linux(VM) server in graphic mode but not anymore since morning. I cant rolback since i loose somuch work. Any idea how to it back to normal. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Self destructive script

How should i write a script so that the script will destroy(delete) itself once it completes execution. Thanks? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is the difference between single line mode and multiline mode in Regular expressions?

Hi All, Can please let me know what is the difference between the single line mode and multi line mode in regular expresions? Thanks, Chidhambaram B (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidhu.anu
3 Replies

5. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

is mdadm --incremental --rebuild --run --scan destructive?

Hello Unix Community: My task to figure out how to add a 20G volume to an existing EBS Array (RAID0) at AWS. I haven't been told that growing the existing volumes isn't an option, or adding another larger volume to the existing array is the way to go. The client's existing data-store is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

Load average unit

Hi, On load average graph, unit is 100m, 200m, 300...800m. I don't understand what it means. Thx for helping (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michenux
3 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Destructive one word unix commands

Hi I'm trying to hack a web server as part of an assignment and have gotten it to exec commands but I cannot pass commands arguments as the program splits up space separated words and only execs the first one. Is there anything I can pass to cause any sort of damage in one word? Btw webserver runs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aydinh
1 Replies

8. Solaris

DNS service is in maintenance mode. How to bring it back to online mode?

:confused: when i tried to look the status of DNS-client, it is in maintenance mode..... Please tell me how to bring it back to online mode...PLEASE TELL ME STEP BY STEP.... PLEASE... :wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

From a C++ application how to find if a hpux host is in standard mode or trusted mode

is there a way for my C++ application to find out which mode the hpux OS is running in? standard mode or trusted mode. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: einsteinBrain
3 Replies
SD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     SD(4)

NAME
sd - driver for SCSI disk drives SYNOPSIS
#include <linux/hdreg.h> /* for HDIO_GETGEO */ #include <linux/fs.h> /* for BLKGETSIZE and BLKRRPART */ CONFIGURATION
The block device name has the following form: sdlp, where l is a letter denoting the physical drive, and p is a number denoting the parti- tion on that physical drive. Often, the partition number, p, will be left off when the device corresponds to the whole drive. SCSI disks have a major device number of 8, and a minor device number of the form (16 * drive_number) + partition_number, where drive_num- ber is the number of the physical drive in order of detection, and partition_number is as follows: +3 partition 0 is the whole drive partitions 1-4 are the DOS "primary" partitions partitions 5-8 are the DOS "extended" (or "logical") partitions For example, /dev/sda will have major 8, minor 0, and will refer to all of the first SCSI drive in the system; and /dev/sdb3 will have major 8, minor 19, and will refer to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second SCSI drive in the system. At this time, only block devices are provided. Raw devices have not yet been implemented. DESCRIPTION
The following ioctls are provided: HDIO_GETGEO Returns the BIOS disk parameters in the following structure: struct hd_geometry { unsigned char heads; unsigned char sectors; unsigned short cylinders; unsigned long start; }; A pointer to this structure is passed as the ioctl(2) parameter. The information returned in the parameter is the disk geometry of the drive as understood by DOS! This geometry is not the physical geometry of the drive. It is used when constructing the drive's partition table, however, and is needed for convenient operation of fdisk(1), efdisk(1), and lilo(1). If the geometry information is not available, zero will be returned for all of the parameters. BLKGETSIZE Returns the device size in sectors. The ioctl(2) parameter should be a pointer to a long. BLKRRPART Forces a reread of the SCSI disk partition tables. No parameter is needed. The SCSI ioctl(2) operations are also supported. If the ioctl(2) parameter is required, and it is NULL, then ioctl(2) fails with the error EINVAL. FILES
/dev/sd[a-h] the whole device /dev/sd[a-h][0-8] individual block partitions COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 SD(4)