Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Jre not working in Fedora
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Jre not working in Fedora Post 302877295 by Akshay Hegde on Friday 29th of November 2013 01:11:36 PM
Old 11-29-2013
If again reinstalling try this and let me know if its helpful

Download Java from here
HTML Code:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html
Code:
# Root
user@host:~$ sudo su

# Change according to your wish, for example this is installation directory
root@host:~# mkdir -p /usr/lib/jvm

# Optional you can copy or directly extract., this is old version change according to your need
root@host:~# cp -i jdk-7u11-linux-i586.tar.gz /usr/lib/jvm/
root@host:~# cp -i jre-7u11-linux-i586.tar.gz /usr/lib/jvm/

# change directory
root@host:~# cd /usr/lib/jvm/

# Extract jdk and Jre
root@host:/usr/lib/jvm# tar -xvf jdk-7u11-linux-i586.tar.gz
root@host:/usr/lib/jvm# tar -xvf jre-7u11-linux-i586.tar.gz

# If not needed delete
root@host:/usr/lib/jvm$ rm -rf *.gz

# confirm that these two are extracted
root@host:/usr/lib/jvm# ls -1
jdk1.7.0_11
jre1.7.0_11

# Configure according to foldername highlighted in blue color
root@host:/usr/lib/jvm# sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/javac" "javac" "/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0_11/bin/javac" 1

root@host:/usr/lib/jvm# sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/usr/lib/jvm/jre1.7.0_11/bin/java" 1

root@host:/usr/lib/jvm# sudo update-alternatives --set "javac" "/usr/lib/jvm/jdk1.7.0_11/bin/javac"

root@host:/usr/lib/jvm# sudo update-alternatives --set "java" "/usr/lib/jvm/jre1.7.0_11/bin/java"

# On successful installation you should be able to see following
root@host:/usr/lib/jvm# java -version
java version "1.7.0_11"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_11-b21)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 23.6-b04, mixed mode)

root@host:/usr/lib/jvm# javac -version
javac 1.7.0_11

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

Fedora and Ubuntu not working out with GRUB

I have tried befre but nothing works out proprly. I have Ubuntu I try to Install Fedora Core 1. When Fedora Cora is finished Installing It doesnt show Ubuntu on Grub. If I re-install Ubuntu and put grub on then Fedora wont show. I also have Windows 98 but that is always on the list as DOS or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shade11
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

JRE in Fedora 7

Hi, I am trying to install the Java Runtime Environment in Fedora 7. However, according to articles such as this: How to Install Java in Fedora Core 6 - Java Runtime Environment - Softpedia I should have a plugin directory in the jre directory. I don't have that after running the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user23
1 Replies

3. Programming

JRE in Fedora 7

Perhaps this is the right forum for this question? Hi, I am trying to install the Java Runtime Environment in Fedora 7. However, according to articles such as this: How to Install Java in Fedora Core 6 - Java Runtime Environment - Softpedia I should have a plugin directory in the jre... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user23
3 Replies

4. Linux

gvfs-mount not working from command line (Fedora 11 x86-64)

When I access a samba share from command line using gvfs-mount, I can not see anything in ~/.gvfs/ directory. See below: ajitabhp:$ gvfs-mount smb://iomega-dstore/music/ ajitabhp:$ echo $? 0 ajitabhp:$ ls -l ~/.gvfs/ total 0 ajitabhp:$ ps -ef|grep gvfsd-smb ajitabhp 10896 1 0 11:28 ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajitabhpandey
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

Wireless stopped working- Fedora 12

I installed F12 around the time it was released and it picked up my wireless card and worked like a charm.....Suddenly last week everything stopped working and I receive what appears to be a driver error when wlan0 tries to load. Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) : SET failed on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: woodson2
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to find the OS JRE as well as User installed JRE on my UNIX box!

Hi, I want to determine whether my java application is pointing to the OS version of Java or the User installed Java version on my Unix box. I am aware of the "java -version" command, however I am unsure if the version returned is the OS one or the user one. Please help. Ali. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali40
5 Replies

7. Linux

fedora 11 updates not working

I am running fedora 11 as a virtual machine on vmware. when i open software updates they do not start.neither can new software be installed.but i am getting lan connection as firefox is working.have changed system proxy too. the directory /etc/yum.repos.d/ is not empty.this is output of ls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxstudent
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Wine is not working in fedora 15

Hi Frnds I dont know where to post thread for fedora so here i am posting I have fedora 15 with kernel-2.6.41.4-1.fc15.x86_64.It was previously kernel-2.6.40.6-0.fc15.x86_64 which i updated today through Yum.After than i restarted with new kernel and installed wine-1.3.35-1.fc15.x86_64... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaibhav.T
4 Replies

9. Fedora

Yum repository not working in Fedora 16

Hi, while installing/updating package using yum I am getting (repomd.xml) error # yum list Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit http://mirror.cse.iitk.ac.in/fedora-archive/fedora/linux/fedora/linux/releases/16/Everything/x86_64/os/repodata/repomd.xml: HTTP Error 404 -... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: muzaffar.k
12 Replies
firefox(1)							   User Commands							firefox(1)

NAME
firefox - Firefox for Sun Java Desktop System SYNOPSIS
firefox [options ... ] [url] DESCRIPTION
Firefox is a free, open-source web browser based on the Mozilla codebase. It is small, fast and easy to use, and offers many advantages over other browsers, such as the ability to block pop-up windows. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -height value Set the height of startup window to value. -h or -help Display the help message. -width value Set the width of startup window to value. -v or -version Display the version message. -P profile Start with the profile named: profile. -ProfileManager Start with profile manager. -UILocale locale Start with the UI Locale listed: locale. -safe-mode Disables extensions and themes for this session. -jsconsole Open the JavaScript console. -browser Open a browser window. -setDefaultBrowser Set this app as the default browser. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Launching Firefox example% firefox EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully 1 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/firefox Executable for Firefox application $HOME/.mozilla/firefox User configuration files for Firefox ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWfirefox | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
For more information about firefox, please refer to http://www.mozilla.org/firefox Refer to Help->Help Contents for more information. NOTES
Updated by Evan Yan, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2008. SunOS 5.11 10 Jul 2008 firefox(1)