Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Where to see my .profile file in UNIX? Post 302877238 by Yoda on Friday 29th of November 2013 09:25:40 AM
Old 11-29-2013
The .profile file is present in your $HOME directory. It is possible that the .profile file is hidden, use ls -a to list it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changed .profile but didnt ./.profile, yet reflected changes

hi , i added ls -F to .profile. and i need to do ./.profile for the effect to take effect BUT i didnt and YET the next day when i came to work and log in, the changes took effect. i am on aix. please explain.. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is .profile in unix ?

1. What is .profile in unix ? 2. What are they used for ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guhas
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I modify the .bashrc file instead of .profile file to customize my login?

Hello, I got this question which tells me to customize my login script. Some people in the forums suggested to modify the .profile file in my home directory. I did so, but none of my customizations show up when I open the terminal after. So, I tried to modify other files in my home directory,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hyunkel
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

full path of .profile in unix

need a help, am a newbe in unix how do i locate the full path of the .profile where the environmental variable for a user is set. thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Profile File in Unix

Hi, I have to run a sqr program. In the profile file everything is set. e.g APPLID=personel APPPATH=/${ENVIRONMENT}/${APPPATH} and so on.. SQRDIR=/opt/sqr/bin/syb Still when I'm running this script,its giving error APPLID not set and SQRDIR not set. Any idea,why? TIA (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: autosys_nm
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to open .profile in Korn UNIX

How to open/view .profile file in Korn Unix. I need the path to .profile as well. Thanks, Kumar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasan2815
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in creating my own profile file in unix

I am new in shell scripting. currently i am using cygwin. My problem is i created a profile file in my own folder. file name is first.profile in which i gave following values to variable export a=10 now i am executing this profile file by below command ./.first.profile it executed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratikjain998
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in creating execute profile file in unix

first i created a profile file(my_var.profile) which contains export my_var=20 after that i created shell scripts(my_var.sh) which contains #!/bin/bash . ./my_var.profile echo '$my_var='$my_var but when i am executing sh my_var.sh it is showing error that no such file/directory .profile.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratikjain998
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

.profile issue with UNIX

Hi, There is a user in Solaris-10 zone, ora_big01. Its .profile is not getting executed due to some reason and I am not able to find that. root@trddpd-dwsq04:/# cat /etc/passwd | grep -i ora_big01 ora_big01:x:242349:220:Siebel for QA:/ccq/apps/siebel:/usr/bin/ksh root@trddpd-dwsq04:/# which ksh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
3 Replies

10. Programming

Remote login UNIX box from java passing parameters to the custom script called in the profile

Hello Good Day / Guten Tag.... I have to login the server and the user profile contains some scripts which need the inputs to be taken from the keyboard. So I use the method to conn.authenticateWithKeyboardInteractive(username, new InteractiveCallback() { public String... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanalkumaran
1 Replies
INSTALL-MH(8)                                                        [nmh-1.5]                                                       INSTALL-MH(8)

NAME
install-mh - initialize the nmh environment SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/install-mh [-auto] [-check] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Install-mh is the nmh program to create the initial setup for a first-time nmh user. Install-mh lives in two places for historical rea- sons. The -auto option does things as automatically as possible and makes install-mh less chatty. The user is asked for the name of the directory that will be designated as the user's nmh directory. If this directory does not exist, the user is asked if it should be created. Normally, this directory should be under the user's home directory, and has the default name of ``Mail''. Install-mh writes an initial .mh_profile for the user. As with all nmh commands, install-mh first checks for the existence of the $MH environment variable since that gives the profile path if set. If it isn't set, the $HOME environment variable is consulted to determine the user's home directory. If $HOME is not set, then the /etc/passwd file is consulted. When creating the users initial .mh_profile, install-mh will check for the existence of a global profile /etc/nmh/mh.profile. If found, this will be used to initialize the new .mh_profile. The -check option can be used to check whether or not nmh has been installed. This can be used by other programs to determine whether or not nmh has been installed without their having to know the internals of nmh. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile /etc/nmh/mh.profile Used to initialize user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To set the user's nmh directory CONTEXT
With -auto, the current folder is changed to "inbox". MH.6.8 11 June 2012 INSTALL-MH(8)