Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HPUX Boot failure.
Operating Systems HP-UX HPUX Boot failure. Post 302877230 by vbe on Friday 29th of November 2013 07:36:35 AM
Old 11-29-2013
You have 2 bad dimms, if they are of 4 GB, that means you have no more memory...
In MP, have you tried to use XD ? ( Diag and reset...)
Sorry off again...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP-UX respawning boot failure

Hello. System is a HP Visualize C3600 running X11 and after a power failure machine will not boot (see error messages below) From what I've read, this may be caused by a corrupted etc/inittab file. Solution suggested on other websites is to boot in single user mode and edit file inittab... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: westcoast
2 Replies

2. Linux

Boot failure

Hi all I used a dual boot operating system and it works fine for me. Now , i install a Ati radeon 9250 Agp card on my system and this results in boot failure of fedora 6. The graphics card is working fine with windows XP , i.e i have no compatibility issues.The system also refuses to boot when i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
2 Replies

3. Solaris

INT18 boot failure

I installed solaris virtually and tried to format the partitions .. I dont know what went wrong, It got rebooted and hangs in the screen "No partitions" and after pressing Enter button it goes to "INT18 boot failure" and hangs there once again . Could any one of you suggest why this has happened... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: priky
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Boot failure

I have installed Solaris 10 OS in Sun Virtual Box that uses x86 32 bit system. After an abnormal shutdown i'm getting the following message on the console when i try to boot. SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_127128_11 32-bit Copyright 1983-200 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserrved. Use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sesha
3 Replies

5. SCO

stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot

hi SCO Unix 5.0.6 doesn't boot due to this problem: not a directory boot not found cannot open stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot Knows someone howto solve it? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
16 Replies

6. Debian

clusterKnoppix Live Cd boot failure

I'm trying to run clusterKnoppix live cd from a couple machines but it only works from one computer. The other three, my toshiba laptop, emachine, and hp machine can't find the filesystem.. the live cd stops booting and gives me a error saying it couldn't find knoppix filesystem and then gives me a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamhe
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

fail to boot HPUX

HPUX running in D-Class (L1000), pretty old HPUX version - hpux 11.00 Attempt 1 -- To boot from normal (primary) Unable to boot - system complains failure SYSTEM ALERT System Name : uninitialized DATE : 10/22/2011 Time : 03/41:12 Alert Level 15 = Fatal hardware or configuration... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
12 Replies

8. Solaris

Failure to boot v445

Hi Guys, I have a small problem with a v445 which I have been informed will only boot with the reconfigure option enabled. It is attached to HP SAN storage using qla2300 FCA's with a Veritas encapsulated rootvoldg (No Laughing here please) when I try a reboot I get the following error. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot up failure unix sco after power failure

hi power went out. next day unix sco wont boot up error code 303. any help appreciated as we are clueless. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredthayer
11 Replies
BAD144(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 BAD144(8)

NAME
bad144 - read/write DEC standard 144 bad sector information SYNOPSIS
bad144 disktype disk [ sno [ bad ... ] ] DESCRIPTION
Bad144 can be used to inspect the information stored on a disk that is used by the disk drivers to implement bad sector forwarding. The format of the information is specified by DEC standard 144, as follows. The bad sector information is located in the first 5 even numbered sectors of the last track of the disk pack. There are five identical copies of the information, described by the dkbad structure. Only the first of these copies is used. Replacement sectors are allocated starting with the first sector before the bad sector information and working backwards towards the begin- ning of the disk. A maximum of 126 bad sectors can be supported. The position of the bad sector in the bad sector table determines which replacement sector it corresponds to. The bad sector information and replacement sectors are conventionally only accessible through the ``h'' file system partition of the disk. If that partition is used for a file system, the user is responsible for making sure that it does not overlap the bad sector information or any replacement sectors. The bad sector structure is as follows: struct dkbad { long bt_csn; /* cartridge serial number */ u_short bt_mbz; /* unused; should be 0 */ u_short bt_flag; /* -1 => alignment cartridge */ struct bt_bad { u_short bt_cyl; /* cylinder number of bad sector */ u_short bt_trksec; /* track and sector number */ } bt_bad[MAXBAD]; }; Unused slots in the bt_bad array are filled with all bits set, a putatively illegal value. MAXBAD (in <sys/dkbad.h>) may be tuned locally to reduce the space required to hold the bad-sector file in memory. It may not be greater than 126, which uses the whole disk sector. Bad sectors past MAXBAD may be included by the formatter, but replacement sectors will not be used until MAXBAD is increased. Bad144 is invoked by giving a device type (e.g. rk07, rm03, rm05, etc.), and a device name (e.g. hk0, hp1, etc.). It reads the first sec- tor of the last track of the corresponding disk and prints out the bad sector information. It may also be invoked giving a serial number for the pack and a list of bad sectors, and will then write the supplied information onto the same location. Note, however, that bad144 does not arrange for the specified sectors to be marked bad in this case. This option should only be used to restore known bad sector information which was destroyed. New bad sectors can be added by running the standard DEC formatter in section ``bad.'' SEE ALSO
badsect(8) BUGS
Not all drivers support bad-sector forwarding on the PDP-11. It should be possible to both format disks on-line under UNIX and to change the bad sector information, marking new bad sectors, without running a standalone program. The bootstrap drivers used to boot the system do not understand bad sectors or handle ECC errors. This means that none of these errors can occur when reading the file /unix to boot. Sector 0 of the disk drive and the file /boot in the root file system of that drive must also not have any of these errors in it. The drivers that write a system core image on disk after a crash do not handle errors; thus the crash dump area must be free of errors and bad sectors. 3rd Berkeley Distribution BAD144(8)