Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change numbers in flat file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change numbers in flat file Post 302877180 by Don Cragun on Thursday 28th of November 2013 03:54:44 PM
Old 11-28-2013
Your latest set of revisions to the 1st message in this thread still has grossly inconsistent output. (Some lines have a trailing space; most do not. Some lines have two spaces as field separators; some have one space. The values in the Variables do not always match the corresponding field in your output file.

It looks like MadeInGermany's script captured most of the intent of your latest changes, but missed two points:
  1. You added a new line at the start of the desired output.
  2. Sometimes you want 5 digits after the decimal point in your output and sometimes you want 6.
The script below consistently only uses a single space as the field separator, does not add any trailing space, adds the new line you added as the first line of your output file, and adjusts the output to have the same number of digits after the decimal point as the longest input value for that line:
Code:
awk -v Variable='54.24425 35.24535  25.53231 24.24225 35.24535 28.350132' '
# dpm(v1, v2) returns the maximum number of digits after the decimal point in
#       the two given values.
function dpm(v1, v2,        n1, n2) {
        n1 = length(v1) - index(v1, ".")
        n2 = length(v2) - index(v2, ".")
        return(n1 > n2 ? n1 : n2)
}
BEGIN { split(Variable, vlist)
        print "New File generated"
}
NF > 2 { p = dpm(vlist[++v], $NF)
        $(NF + 1) = sprintf("%+.*f", p, vlist[v] - $NF)
        $(NF - 1) = vlist[v]
}
1' file1.text > file2.txt

The output it saves in file2.txt is when your latest sample input is in file1.text is:
Code:
New File generated
Data 1
Value One 54.24425 +29.99999
Value Two 35.24535 -10.00000
Other values in the list 25.53231 -59.71304

Data 2
Value One 24.24225 -20.00000
Value Two 35.24535 +10.00000
Other values of new 28.350132 -26.785328

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change filename with numbers

ok, this one is definitely too hard for my shell-script-skills. Hopefully, there is somebody who can help me with this: I have a folder with files in it named 0.ppm 10.ppm 2.ppm ... 5.ppm 50.ppm 55.ppm ... 355.ppm 360.ppm etc. As you will notice, the order in which the files are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: silversurfer202
5 Replies

2. AIX

how do I change major-minor numbers of disk devices

Good evening ... does anyone of you know how to change major/minor numbers of disk devices ? I had to migrate from raid1 to raid5 and this messed up my ASM cluster - I know which devices should have which IDs to match the content - but I have no idea how to change it. Any help would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read numbers from file and output which numbers belongs to which range

Howdy experts, We have some ranges of number which belongs to particual group as below. GroupNo StartRange EndRange Group0125 935300 935399 Group2006 935400 935476 937430 937459 Group0324 935477 935549 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change numbers in a file, incrementing them

Hello, Here's a file of mine: key1:431 key2:159 key3:998 I need to change these keys to something bigger - and I actually need to shift them all by a range of 3. The output would be: key1:434 key2:162 key3:1001 I can't find the propper sed/awk line that would alter all my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fzd
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding change in column numbers after some commands

Hi All, I was using some commands to: replace a column by a constant string character awk -v a=CA 'NF>1{ $3=a; print; } ' $line>$line"_1" to copy a column and paste it in another place awk '$5=$2" "$5' $line>$line"_2" to delete the extra columns awk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++)... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAch
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change the format of the date column in a flat file?

Hi, i have a flat file namely temp.txt with this data below ID|name|contact_date 101|Kay|2013-12-26 102|let|2013-12-26 I need to modify the date data in the flat file into MM/DD/YYYY HH24:MI:SS format let me know the code for this. Thank you! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to take file numbers from a file, pass them to sed to change strings in corresponding lines

I have a bunch of file numbers in the file 'test': I'm trying the above command to change all the instances of "H" to "Na+" in the file testsds.pdb at the line numbers indicated in the file 'test'. I've tried the following and various similar alternatives but nothing is working: cat test |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchgargoyle
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding (as in arithmetic) to numbers in columns in file, and writing new file with new numbers

Hi again. Sorry for all the questions — I've tried to do all this myself but I'm just not good enough yet, and the help I've received so far from bartus11 has been absolutely invaluable. Hopefully this will be the last bit of file manipulation I need to do. I have a file which is formatted as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchgargoyle
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the numbers

Hi friends, i need a command which can be used to change the values in file. I have file which contain some values. Data_Center_costing=XXXX Financial_loss=XXXX operational_cost=XXX I am not aware about the values of XXXX, They may be 4 digit or less/more than that. but i need these... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nakul_sh
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change numbers

Hallo This is the content of the file 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 And I want the following output 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thailand
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)