Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup and restore query
Operating Systems AIX Backup and restore query Post 302877115 by rbatte1 on Thursday 28th of November 2013 07:30:10 AM
Old 11-28-2013
And your question is ............?

Perhaps the space is used more efficiently when the files are restored. If the original files became fragmented with lots of partial disk blocks being written, then you could see a space used reduction after a restore as that would write full disk blocks and therefore use less of them.

Is this what you are after or have I missed the point? You made need to explain what you are seeing a little more.

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

HP-UX Filesystem backup/restore?

:confused: Hi Guys, I'm not new to UNIX but I am new to HP-UX. I have a proven backup and restore procedue using cpio on Solaris, however, the filesystem structure appears to be different on HP. Can anybody help me with the following questions? 1) What is the best method for performing a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mybeat
7 Replies

2. Solaris

Backup / restore

Hi.... everyone could help me to understand how to do a backup of my servers .. operating systems is sun solaris 8 . I have some question about .... 1) Is better backup phisical disk or partition ??? i sow the command is ufsdump 0cfu /expbck/bcksunver/c0t0d0s5 dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5 to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tt155
4 Replies

3. AIX

Backup and restore

I have several H80 machines, all with AIX 4.3.3. On these machines I have mksysb running for rootvg backups and savevg for non-rootvg backups. I'm trying to get a list of files on the tapes, but I can't seem to do it with tar for the mksysb images. I keep getting the directory checksum errors?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uXion
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

F-Backup restore

Hello! i have a blank harddrive and a complete tape backup of the workstation. the backup is made with F-Backup. Now my question is: how can i restore my workstation? thanks for every idea! paul tittel hup-si (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paultittel
3 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

DD command to backup and restore

Hi, Currently I have 2 servers. 1 is already installed with RHEL4(withmyapplications) and the other one is still brand new. My question is, is it possible to use DD command to backup the whole harddrive for the RHEL4 server and restore it to the new brand server so that I do not have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flekzout
3 Replies

6. AIX

Backup and restore

Hi experts, i got a question. i have a production server with two Volume Group(VG) which are rootvg and datavg. Both of these VGs are 256 PP SIZE. On Disaster Recovery Server (DR server) contains two empty hardisks for restoring rootvg and datavg from production server. This two hardisks are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: polar
7 Replies

7. Red Hat

Backup / Restore

Hi, I need to back up a RH file system (96G). The files are oracle .dbf format some of which are 5G in size. I know that tar has got a size restriction of 2G so I cannot use this. Can anyone recommend an alternative way of backuping up this FS? I have been looking at dump but this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

Backup and restore using tar

This will be covered elsewhere im sure but i just cant seem to find my exact issue. I want to backup my systems using tar, command is: tar -cjpf /backup /bin /etc /home /opt /root /sbin /usr /var /bootWhen i include the / directory it also tar's the /lib /sys /proc /dev filesystems too (and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tommyk
8 Replies

9. AIX

Backup and restore question

I run a backup sucessfully: find . | backup -ivqf/dev/rmt0 I want to make sure I can restore, so I change to a test directory and try this: restore -rvqf /dev/rmt0 However, we fail with this error: New volume on /dev/rmt0: Cluster size is 51200 bytes (100 blocks). The volume number is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: landog
3 Replies

10. Web Development

Restore MySQL backup

Hello all! First posting here! So be patient with me. I made a clean install with MacOS 10.8 and need to restore my Databases from my external backup drive. Apparently it is not possible, to create the MySQL user and password as before, and simply drag the databases from... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: marek
12 Replies
extendfs(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       extendfs(8)

NAME
extendfs - Extends UFS file systems SYNOPSIS
/sbin/extendfs [- s] [disk_blocks] device_name DESCRIPTION
Use the extendfs command to increase the storage space in a UFS file system. The file system must not be mounted when you perform this operation. To extend a mounted (in use) UFS file system, use the mount command with the -o extend option. The procedure for increasing the storage space of a UFS file system is as follows: Look at the contents the /etc/fstab file to identify the disk partition that maps to the file system. Ensure that there is available storage space on the target disk as follows: If LSM is in use on your system, use LSM commands to increase the size of the LSM volume as described in the Logical Storage Manager guide. If LSM is not in use on your system, use the disklabel command or the diskconfig graphical user interface to check the current size and use of partitions on the disk. If there is adequate space on an adjacent partition, use the disklabel command to write the current label to a file as fol- lows: # disklabel -r dsk4 > d4label Edit the disklabel file to change the size of the partition on which your UFS file system resides. Increase the number of disk blocks on the partition and decrease the disk block size of the adjacent partition by an equivalent number. Use the disklabel command with the -R option to write the revised label to the raw disk as follows: # disklabel -R /dev/rdisk/dsk4 d4label When the disk label is revised, extend the file system using the extendfs command. You can either use the full extent of the newly sized partition or extend the file system in stages. The following example commands show both methods. To extend the file system to use all the available space, you specify the disk partition on which the file system resides, as follows: # extendfs /dev/disk/dsk4g To extend the file system to use only part of the available space, you specify a number of disk blocks, as follows: # extendfs -s 300000 /dev/disk/dsk4g The remainder of the extended partion is reserved for future use. You can extend a file system as many times as necessary, up to the physical limit of the storage device. When no more space is available on the storage device, you must back up the file system using the dump command and restore the file system to a storage device that has more available space. Once you have extended a file system, the operation cannot be reversed except by a back up and restore operation. Use the dump command to back up the file system. You can then reset the partition sizes manually and restore the file system to the storage device. ERRORS
The disklabel command produces output similar to that of the newfs command. If a list of disk blocks is not displayed on the terminal, the command has failed. Verify the partition settings and the mount status of the target file system. The disklabel command does not permit you to overwrite a partition if it is in use. Refer to the disklabel(8) reference page for more information on label errors. FILES
Specifies the command path. RELATED INFORMATION
diskconfig(8), disklabel(8), mount(8), and fstab(4). extendfs(8)