Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Convert Date Format
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Convert Date Format Post 302877040 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 27th of November 2013 06:00:27 PM
Old 11-27-2013
You need GNU date to use the -d option of date.

If you system doesn't have that available you may need to use a perl program like this:

Code:
#! /usr/bin/env perl
use Time::Local;
use POSIX qw(strftime);

my ($yyyy, $mm, $dd, $hh, $min, $ss) = split(/[:\/ ]/, $ARGV[0]);
print strftime("%d-%b-%Y %T\n", localtime(timelocal($ss,$min,$hh,$dd,$mm-1,$yyyy)));

Save as format_date.pl and run it like this:

Code:
$ cur_date='2013/03/13 14:24:50'
$ ./format_date.pl "$cur_date"
13-Mar-2013 14:24:50

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert mmddyy date format to ccyyddd format??

hi, for reading a cobol indexed file i need to convert "mmddyy" date format to "ccyyddd" format. i checked the datecalc and other scripts but couldnt modify them to cater to my need:(... The datecalc gives an output which i believe is the total days till that date, but i want to convert it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bhups
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert date format

Hi All, Need your help in converting a date format in ksh. I'm currently working on SUN os where my script is getting a date from a table. The result returns to ksh in this format: 17-JUL-08 How do i convert this string to a date format like yyyymmdd? I tried #!/bin/ksh d="17-JUL-08"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Epoch time format to normal date time format in the same file

I have a file named "suspected" with series of line like these : {'protocol': 17, 'service': 'BitTorrent KRPC', 'server': '219.78.120.166', 'client_port': 52044, 'client': '10.64.68.44', 'server_port': 8291, 'time': 1226506312L, 'serverhostname': ''} {'protocol': 17, 'service': 'BitTorrent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rk4k
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert date format to mysql date format in log file

I have a comma delimited log file which has the date as MM/DD/YY in the 2nd column, and HH:MM:SS in the 3rd column. I need to change the date format to YYYY-MM-DD and merge it with the the time HH:MM:SS. How will I got about this? Sample input 02/27/09,23:52:31 02/27/09,23:52:52... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hazno
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert date to Unix format

Dear Expert How to convert date in format of YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS to unix format using a script or command if avaliable Example "2011-05-15 18:00:00" is converted to 1330970400 I tried to use option d in date command but no use, Im using solaris 10 Thanks a lot (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahyaaa
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert date format

I've been using this thread: https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/58675-change-date-dd-mmm-yyyy-mm-dd-yyyy.html and https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/14655-changing-yyyy-mm-dd-ddmmyy.html and this code: on this format: 05/16/2008 18:30:49 Installation 48985and I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert any date format into yyyy/mm/dd

How can I convert any user inputted date into yyyy/mm/dd ? For example user can input date one of the following 20120121 , 2012-01-21 ,01/21/2012,01/21/2012 etc But I need to convert any of the date entered by user into yyyy/mm/dd (2012/01/2012). Any suggestion. Thanks in advance this is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZeroHedge
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk convert date format

Could you tell me how to convert the following dates? If I have m/d/yyyy, I want to have 0m/0d/yyyy. I want my dates to always be 8 digits. In other words, I want a 0 inserted whenever the month or day is a single digit. My issue is first I need to use FS="," to get field $4 for the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbrunc
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert string into date format

Hi, I am getting the below string as a input for date. 12/03/2013 11:02 AM I want to change this date as 03-DEC-2013 11:02 AM. Could you please help on this. Thanks Chelladurai (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckchelladurai
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert date format

Hi guys I am looking to convert this kind of entry in a txt file 26/04/2008 to April 2008 Note : this is not using the date command , these are date entries in a file can i do this with sed ? Use code tags, thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnnybananas
5 Replies
Time::Local(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  Time::Local(3pm)

NAME
Time::Local - efficiently compute time from local and GMT time SYNOPSIS
$time = timelocal($sec,$min,$hour,$mday,$mon,$year); $time = timegm($sec,$min,$hour,$mday,$mon,$year); DESCRIPTION
These routines are the inverse of built-in perl functions localtime() and gmtime(). They accept a date as a six-element array, and return the corresponding time(2) value in seconds since the Epoch (Midnight, January 1, 1970). This value can be positive or negative. It is worth drawing particular attention to the expected ranges for the values provided. The value for the day of the month is the actual day (ie 1..31), while the month is the number of months since January (0..11). This is consistent with the values returned from local- time() and gmtime(). The timelocal() and timegm() functions perform range checking on the input $sec, $min, $hour, $mday, and $mon values by default. If you'd rather they didn't, you can explicitly import the timelocal_nocheck() and timegm_nocheck() functions. use Time::Local 'timelocal_nocheck'; { # The 365th day of 1999 print scalar localtime timelocal_nocheck 0,0,0,365,0,99; # The twenty thousandth day since 1970 print scalar localtime timelocal_nocheck 0,0,0,20000,0,70; # And even the 10,000,000th second since 1999! print scalar localtime timelocal_nocheck 10000000,0,0,1,0,99; } Your mileage may vary when trying these with minutes and hours, and it doesn't work at all for months. Strictly speaking, the year should also be specified in a form consistent with localtime(), i.e. the offset from 1900. In order to make the interpretation of the year easier for humans, however, who are more accustomed to seeing years as two-digit or four-digit values, the following conventions are followed: o Years greater than 999 are interpreted as being the actual year, rather than the offset from 1900. Thus, 1963 would indicate the year Martin Luther King won the Nobel prize, not the year 2863. o Years in the range 100..999 are interpreted as offset from 1900, so that 112 indicates 2012. This rule also applies to years less than zero (but see note below regarding date range). o Years in the range 0..99 are interpreted as shorthand for years in the rolling "current century," defined as 50 years on either side of the current year. Thus, today, in 1999, 0 would refer to 2000, and 45 to 2045, but 55 would refer to 1955. Twenty years from now, 55 would instead refer to 2055. This is messy, but matches the way people currently think about two digit dates. Whenever possible, use an absolute four digit year instead. The scheme above allows interpretation of a wide range of dates, particularly if 4-digit years are used. Please note, however, that the range of dates that can be actually be handled depends on the size of an integer (time_t) on a given plat- form. Currently, this is 32 bits for most systems, yielding an approximate range from Dec 1901 to Jan 2038. Both timelocal() and timegm() croak if given dates outside the supported range. IMPLEMENTATION
These routines are quite efficient and yet are always guaranteed to agree with localtime() and gmtime(). We manage this by caching the start times of any months we've seen before. If we know the start time of the month, we can always calculate any time within the month. The start times are calculated using a mathematical formula. Unlike other algorithms that do multiple calls to gmtime(). timelocal() is implemented using the same cache. We just assume that we're translating a GMT time, and then fudge it when we're done for the timezone and daylight savings arguments. Note that the timezone is evaluated for each date because countries occasionally change their official timezones. Assuming that localtime() corrects for these changes, this routine will also be correct. BUGS
The whole scheme for interpreting two-digit years can be considered a bug. The proclivity to croak() is probably a bug. perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 Time::Local(3pm)