Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl script give answers by file Post 302876904 by Scott on Wednesday 27th of November 2013 05:19:36 AM
Old 11-27-2013
If you know exactly what questions it will ask, you could put the answers in a file, and then pipe it to the script.

For example:

Code:
$ cat myScript
printf "Type y to continue: "
read ans
if [ "$ans" != y ]; then
  echo Exiting.
  exit 0
fi

printf "Type a number: "
read num

printf "Enter the default bin path: "
read path

echo
echo "You entered the number: $num"
echo "You entered the path: $path"

$ cat answers.txt 
y
/usr/bin

$ cat answers.txt | ./myScript
Type y to continue: Type a number: Enter the default bin path: 
You entered the number: 33
You entered the path: /usr/bin

Otherwise, there's always expect.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic script for yes and no answers

What is the basic syntax for a script that says do you want to do this? y - execute this n - end not y or n - end and print this for example if I want to run this: "Do you want to start this process?" answer if y,Y, or yes then run the following script (do I put the script with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

source a property file in script give error

I have sourced a property file in my script like this to load some variables in the script Then i am able to echo all the property file values inside script but the script is not able to recognize other unix commands #!/bin/bash . build.properties mkdir build i am getting error ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: codeman007
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Give input to a perl script while execution

Hi, I have a perl script which prints me the epoch value of a specific date and time given.Now I want to proceed to a next step ie i want to give the input at the time of execution. I have to initialise the date and time values in the script before executing it.But now i want to give the date... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyothi_wipro
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Please give answers for this interview questions

I was not able to get answers for these interview questions. It will be appreciable and useful if any one answers this questions. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sesha
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl :How to print the o/p of a Perl script on console and redirecting same in log file @ same time.

How can i print the output of a perl script on a unix console and redirect the same in a log file under same directory simultaneously ? Like in Shell script, we use tee, is there anything in Perl or any other option ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: butterfly20
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interactive shell - Give answers to shell

Hi, I have a script that calles some other scripts. Those scripts are expecting some inputs. Right no I am typing manually. But now the number of questions from other scripts are too much and I want to give asnwers autimatically. example. Other scripts gives me 2 options 1) joom... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: microsim
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select answers from multiple questions using shell script

I have a text file in this format Some lines.... Question no: 1 The question? A. Answer 1 B. Answer 2 C. Answer 3 D. Answer 4 Answer:B Some lines.... Question no: 2 The question? (choose 2) (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrox
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to give multiple choices and a varying number of answers

Hello everybody, I use `case' quite a lot but , excellent as it is , it only gives one final result ; can anyone suggest a way whereas , say long lists of choices are given and I , or a user could select either one two or any number of results to be echoed . many thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: V686
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need optimized awk/perl/shell to give the statistics for the Large delimited file

I have a file size is around 24 G with 14 columns, delimiter with "|" My requirement- can anyone provide me the fastest and best to get the below results Number of records of the file First column and second Column- Unique counts Thanks for your time Karti ------ Post updated at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartikirans
3 Replies
Test::Script(3) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Test::Script(3)

NAME
Test::Script - Basic cross-platform tests for scripts DESCRIPTION
The intent of this module is to provide a series of basic tests for 80% of the testing you will need to do for scripts in the script (or bin as is also commonly used) paths of your Perl distribution. Further, it aims to provide this functionality with perfect platform-compatibility, and in a way that is as unobtrusive as possible. That is, if the program works on a platform, then Test::Script should always work on that platform as well. Anything less than 100% is considered unacceptable. In doing so, it is hoped that Test::Script can become a module that you can safely make a dependency of all your modules, without risking that your module won't on some platform because of the dependency. Where a clash exists between wanting more functionality and maintaining platform safety, this module will err on the side of platform safety. FUNCTIONS
script_compiles script_compiles( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script compiles' ); The "script_compiles" test calls the script with "perl -c script.pl", and checks that it returns without error. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. Note also that the test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. script_runs script_runs( 'script/foo.pl', 'Main script runs' ); The "script_runs" test executes the script with "perl script.pl" and checks that it returns success. The path it should be passed is a relative unix-format script name. This will be localised when running "perl -c" and if the test fails the local name used will be shown in the diagnostic output. The test will be run with the same perl interpreter that is running the test script (and not with the default system perl). This will also be shown in the diagnostic output on failure. SUPPORT
All bugs should be filed via the bug tracker at http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Script> For other issues, or commercial enhancement and support, contact the author. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> SEE ALSO
prove, <http://ali.as/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.2 2009-11-23 Test::Script(3)