Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to log all file that has been move,chmod,chown? Post 302876628 by nikki1200 on Monday 25th of November 2013 10:23:16 PM
Old 11-25-2013
Thanks Sir RudiC

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to untar then chown, and chmod

I'm changing (trying to anyway) a script that will need to unrar a file, this file will create a directory with files in it. Then I need to change the owner ship and permission on that directory. Finally, I will rsync the directory to another machine. This is what I have so far. #!/bin/bash ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walkerl
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

use a file to chmod

Hi! I need help becouse I've server to backup and I've a lot of files with 700 permission and I need to change the mode to 755 before copy So the point is. With find . -perm 700 -exec echo {} > textfile.txt \; I got a text file with 3156 line which one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod of remote file

I would like to chmod the file which I am pulling from remote server onto my server. I am using the following script: sftp <server detail> get abc xyz chmod 666 xyz bye Though I could fetch the file successfully but I am not able to change the permission of xyz file on my server. umask... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdtrica
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File permission by chmod

Hi, I have a typical problem. Consider the scenario: Folder1 ------> Folder2 ------> File1 ------> Folder3 Above is my folder structure, currently the user group "other" has no permissions. I wish to give "read" permission for "others" to File1 using a single command. chmod -R... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesh303
5 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown: <file>: Not owner on Solaris 9

Hi, on a Solaris 5.9 machine no user except for root is able to use chown. for exmaple: > touch iamgal > ls -la iamgal -rw-r--r-- 1 galtest1 other 0 Dec 19 08:40 iamgal > chown galu iamgal chown: iamgal: Not owner I have checked about /etc/system and rstchown - it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: galuzan
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

excluding a directory with chown, chmod

does anyone know how to exclude a directory with chown or chmod? im trying to do something like this chown $username:$username $directory/* chown $username:$username $directory/.* chown $username:$username $directory and find $directory/* -type f -exec... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown: Read-only file system

Hi, I am logged in as super use and want to set owner of a root folder to a specific user. #chown -R user1:group1 /u01 This gives the message: chown: /u01: Read-only file system chown: lost+found: Read-only file system #ls -l drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 256 Mar 21 16:42... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoefiend
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chmod working in sudo run script but chown isn't

My git user has permission in sudoers to run a wrapper script to move files into my webroot. Everything is working fine except for the chown line. After the script has run, the files ar still root:root instead of apache:apache. Scratching my head...:confused: #!/bin/sh echo echo "****... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheian
4 Replies
CHGRP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  CHGRP(1)

NAME
chgrp -- change group SYNOPSIS
chgrp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-fhv] group file ... DESCRIPTION
The chgrp utility sets the group ID of the file named by each file operand to the group ID specified by the group operand. Options: -H If the -R option is specified, symbolic links on the command line are followed. (Symbolic links encountered in the tree traversal are not followed.) -L If the -R option is specified, all symbolic links are followed. -P If the -R option is specified, no symbolic links are followed. -R Change the group ID for the file hierarchies rooted in the files instead of just the files themselves. -f The force option ignores errors, except for usage errors and doesn't query about strange modes (unless the user does not have proper permissions). -h If file is a symbolic link, the group of the link is changed. -v Cause chgrp to be verbose, showing files as they are processed. If -h is not given, unless the -H or -L option is set, chgrp on a symbolic link always succeeds and has no effect. The -H, -L and -P options are ignored unless the -R option is specified. In addition, these options override each other and the command's actions are determined by the last one specified. The group operand can be either a group name from the group database, or a numeric group ID. Since it is valid to have a group name that is numeric (and doesn't have the numeric ID that matches its name) the name lookup is always done first. Preceding the ID with a ``#'' charac- ter will force it to be taken as a number. The user invoking chgrp must belong to the specified group and be the owner of the file, or be the super-user. Unless invoked by the super-user, chgrp clears the set-user-id and set-group-id bits on a file to prevent accidental or mischievous creation of set-user-id or set-group-id programs. The chgrp utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. FILES
/etc/group Group ID file SEE ALSO
chown(2), lchown(2), fts(3), group(5), passwd(5), symlink(7), chown(8) STANDARDS
The chgrp utility is expected to be POSIX 1003.2 compatible. The -v option and the use of ``#'' to force a numeric group ID are extensions to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). BSD
September 25, 2003 BSD