Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to log all file that has been move,chmod,chown? Post 302876606 by RudiC on Monday 25th of November 2013 02:58:08 PM
Old 11-25-2013
Not sure the OP wants to block anything. I guess he/she wants to log actions performed. To do so, redirect stderr and not stdout, and append to the log file instead of overwriting. And, you may want to use the -v (verbose) options to the commands, if that exists. Like:
Code:
mv -v file?.txt /path/to/destination 2>>log.file

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to untar then chown, and chmod

I'm changing (trying to anyway) a script that will need to unrar a file, this file will create a directory with files in it. Then I need to change the owner ship and permission on that directory. Finally, I will rsync the directory to another machine. This is what I have so far. #!/bin/bash ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walkerl
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

use a file to chmod

Hi! I need help becouse I've server to backup and I've a lot of files with 700 permission and I need to change the mode to 755 before copy So the point is. With find . -perm 700 -exec echo {} > textfile.txt \; I got a text file with 3156 line which one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod of remote file

I would like to chmod the file which I am pulling from remote server onto my server. I am using the following script: sftp <server detail> get abc xyz chmod 666 xyz bye Though I could fetch the file successfully but I am not able to change the permission of xyz file on my server. umask... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdtrica
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File permission by chmod

Hi, I have a typical problem. Consider the scenario: Folder1 ------> Folder2 ------> File1 ------> Folder3 Above is my folder structure, currently the user group "other" has no permissions. I wish to give "read" permission for "others" to File1 using a single command. chmod -R... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesh303
5 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown: <file>: Not owner on Solaris 9

Hi, on a Solaris 5.9 machine no user except for root is able to use chown. for exmaple: > touch iamgal > ls -la iamgal -rw-r--r-- 1 galtest1 other 0 Dec 19 08:40 iamgal > chown galu iamgal chown: iamgal: Not owner I have checked about /etc/system and rstchown - it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: galuzan
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

excluding a directory with chown, chmod

does anyone know how to exclude a directory with chown or chmod? im trying to do something like this chown $username:$username $directory/* chown $username:$username $directory/.* chown $username:$username $directory and find $directory/* -type f -exec... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown: Read-only file system

Hi, I am logged in as super use and want to set owner of a root folder to a specific user. #chown -R user1:group1 /u01 This gives the message: chown: /u01: Read-only file system chown: lost+found: Read-only file system #ls -l drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 256 Mar 21 16:42... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoefiend
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chmod working in sudo run script but chown isn't

My git user has permission in sudoers to run a wrapper script to move files into my webroot. Everything is working fine except for the chown line. After the script has run, the files ar still root:root instead of apache:apache. Scratching my head...:confused: #!/bin/sh echo echo "****... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheian
4 Replies
grablogs.conf(4)						   File Formats 						  grablogs.conf(4)

NAME
grablogs.conf - grablogs configuration for libgrablogs.so of the plugins of gnome-system-log file SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/gnome-system-log/plugins/grablogs.conf DESCRIPTION
The libgrablogs.so is a plugin for gnome-system-log(1), it colloct the log files from the system as many as possible. grablogs.conf is a configuration file that contains a set of lines mixed with sh(1) syntax codes and individual log files. libgrablogs.so will read the file try to get a log files list for gnome-system-log(1). Users can copy the file into $HOME/.gnome2/gnome-system-log/plugins/`uname -p` to overwrite the system default one. The grablogs.conf file contains the following configuration categories: [configs] Each line under this category is interpreted as a config file of System. The plugin will open the config file and try to find all system paths of the logs. [commands] Each line under this category is interpreted as a shell command and will be execute through a pipe. And each line of the out- put of the command will be interpreted as a log path. [logs] Each line under this category is interpreted as a log path. FILES
/usr/lib/gnome-system-log/plugins/grablogs.conf The system default configuration file for the plugin libgrablogs.so $HOME/.gnome2/gnome-system-log/plugins/`uname -p`/grablogs.conf The user specific configuration file for the plugin libgrablogs.so EMAMPLE
[configs] /etc/syslog.conf [commands] for i in `svcs -aH -o FMRI | grep -v lrc `; do svcprop -p restarter/logfile $i 2>/dev/null || svcprop -q -p restarter/alt_logfile $i 2>/dev/null ; done [logs] /var/log/messages /var/log/secure /var/log/maillog /var/log/cron /var/log/Xorg.0.log /var/log/XFree86.0.log /var/log/auth.log /var/log/cups/error_log SEE ALSO
gnome-system-log(1), pipelog.conf(1) gnome-utils 2.16.0 13 Oct 2006 grablogs.conf(4)