Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Combining rows into columns
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Combining rows into columns Post 302876329 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 23rd of November 2013 02:22:41 AM
Old 11-23-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selva_2507
Thanks for your prompt response, but its not giving the output which is expected, instaed its giving as below

Code:
Database1..Table1..col1
Database1..Table1..col2
Database1..Table1..col2

I am using Korn shell (OS: Solaris)

As you said, i have used nawk instead of awk, but it didn't give the output which i required.
With your given sample, using nawk on Solaris 10 and with Don's suggestion I get:

Code:
Database1..Table1..column1,column2,column3,column4
Database1..Table2..Column1,Column2
Database2..Table1..Column1,Column2,Column3
Database2..Table2..Column1

Can you confirm that it works with your own sample? If not, what is your Solaris version?

If so, could you post a new sample that better reflects you real world data? And show us where the suggestion fails with that input?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining columns from different files

Hi all, I would be very grateful for some advice on the following. I have several text files. The files are experiment results with columns of data separated by white space. The files begin with several lines of header which are all preceeded by a comment character '#'. Each file has a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: iomaire
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining columns from different files

I have two files I need to combine. The problem I'm having is I need to only combine data from the second file in the empty spaces of the first. For example: file1 Data Field Data Field Data Field Data Field file2 a - Insert Data b - Insert Data c - Insert Data d - Insert Data... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: handband2
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combining two text files as columns?

I have one space delimited file with multiple columns and one tab delimited file with multiple columns (They have the same number of rows). I want to basically combine these two text files into a new text file by column. How would I go about doing that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining cat output and cutting rows

I have a file that contain the following. -D HTTPD_ROOT="/usr/local/apache" -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf" I want a shell script, so that after cat filename and apply the shell script I should get the output as follows. /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf ie cat filename |... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilcliff
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining rows in a text file with a character limit

I have a file that contains several thousands rows. Here is an example. ^411912$ ^487267$ ^643776$ ^682249$ ^687737$ ^692328$ ^693767$ ^695483$ ^697289$ ^757411$ ^776688$ ^778953$ ^806123$ ^872262$ ^877877$ ^839837$ ^76666$ ^72018$ ^23330$ (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: justinb_155
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple rows in single row based on certain condition using awk or sed

Hi, I'm using AIX(ksh shell). > cat temp.txt "a","b",0 "c",bc",0 "a1","b1",0 "cc","cb",1 "cc","b2",1 "bb","bc",2 I want the output as: "a","b","c","bc","a1","b1" "cc","cb","cc","b2" "bb","bc" I want to combine multiple lines into single line where third column is same. Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samuelray
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all the fields(columns) from a .csv file if all rows in that columns are blanks

Hi Friends, I have come across some files where some of the columns don not have data. Key, Data1,Data2,Data3,Data4,Data5 A,5,6,,10,, A,3,4,,3,, B,1,,4,5,, B,2,,3,4,, If we see the above data on Data5 column do not have any row got filled. So remove only that column(Here Data5) and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

8. Linux

[Solved] Combining columns from different files

Hey Guys & Gals, I am stuck with the following ; I have 2 text files, each containing 2 columns. My goal is to have a column from the 2nd file placed inbetween the columns in the first file. Basically the idea is, each address has a different name (but 1 name per address) but 1 address... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAPE
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate 2 columns, add sum IF two columns match on two rows

Hi all, I know this sounds suspiciously like a homework course; but, it is not. My goal is to take a file, and match my "ID" column to the "Date" column, if those conditions are true, add the total number of minutes worked and place it in this file, while not printing the original rows that I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mtucker6784
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 csv files by columns, then extract certain columns of matcing rows

Hi all, I'm pretty much a newbie to UNIX. I would appreciate any help with UNIX coding on comparing two large csv files (greater than 10 GB in size), and output a file with matching columns. I want to compare file1 and file2 by 'id' and 'chain' columns, then extract exact matching rows'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkane3
5 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)