Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove duplicates by keeping the order intact Post 302876315 by magnus29 on Friday 22nd of November 2013 09:55:48 PM
Old 11-22-2013
Remove duplicates by keeping the order intact

Hello friends,

I have a file with duplicate lines. I could eliminate duplicate lines by running

Code:
sort <file> |uniq >uniq_file

and it works fine BUT it changes the order of the entries as it we did "sort".

I need to remove duplicates and also need to keep the order/sequence of entries. I think i can do this by looping the contents and check in the uniq_file and create new file but it doesn't look optimal.

Please advise!
TIA

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicates

Hello Experts, I have two files named old and new. Below are my example files. I need to compare and print the records that only exist in my new file. I tried the below awk script, this script works perfectly well if the records have exact match, the issue I have is my old file has got extra... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumthreads
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text between headers while leaving headers intact

Hi, I'm trying to strip all lines between two headers in a file: ### BEGIN ### Text to remove, contains all kinds of characters ... Antispyware-Downloadserver.com (Germany)=http://www.antispyware-downloadserver.c om/updates/ Antispyware-Downloadserver.com #2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trones
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Remove the zfs snapshot keeping the original volume and clone

I created a snapshot and subsequent clone of a zfs volume. But now i 'm not able to remove the snapshot it gives me following error zfs destroy newpool/ldom2/zdisk4@bootimg cannot destroy 'newpool/ldom2/zdisk4@bootimg': snapshot has dependent clones use '-R' to destroy the following... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with file editing while keeping file format intact

Hi, I am having a file which is fix length and comma seperated. And I want to replace values for one column. I am reading file line by line in variable $LINE and then replacing the string. Problem is after changing value and writing new file temp5.txt, formating of original file is getting... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mruda
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort by keeping the headings intact?

Hi all, I have a file with 3 columns separated by space. Each column has a heading. I want to sort according to the values in the 2nd column (ascending order). Ex. Name rank direction goory 0.05 --+ laby 0.0006 --- namy 0.31 -+- ....etc. Output should be Name rank direction laby... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keeping the number intact

Currently I have the following to separate the numeric values. However the decimal point get separated. ls -lrt *smp*.cmd | awk '{print $NF}' | sed 's/^.*\///' | sed 's/\(*\)/ & /g' As an example on the files n02-z30-dsr65-terr0.50-dc0.05-4x3smp.cmd... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last few characters in a file but keeping Header and trailer intact

Hi All, I am trying write a simple command using AWK and SED to this but without any success. Here is what I am using: head -1 test1.txt>test2.txt|sed '1d;$d' test1.txt|awk '{print substr($0,0,(length($0)-2))}' >>test2.txt|tail -1 test1.txt>>test2.txt Input: Header 1234567 abcdefgh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvuradi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicates

I have a file with the following format: fields seperated by "|" title1|something class|long...content1|keys title2|somhing class|log...content1|kes title1|sothing class|lon...content1|kes title3|shing cls|log...content1|ks I want to remove all duplicates with the same "title field"(the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtdt
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicates

Hi I have a below file structure. 200,1245,E1,1,E1,,7611068,KWH,30, ,,,,,,,, 200,1245,E1,1,E1,,7611070,KWH,30, ,,,,,,,, 300,20140223,0.001,0.001,0.001,0.001,0.001 300,20140224,0.001,0.001,0.001,0.001,0.001 300,20140225,0.001,0.001,0.001,0.001,0.001 300,20140226,0.001,0.001,0.001,0.001,0.001... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tejashavele
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove duplicates in a dataframe (table) keeping all the different cells of just one of the columns

Hello all, I need to filter a dataframe composed of several columns of data to remove the duplicates according to one of the columns. I did it with pandas. In the main time, I need that the last column that contains all different data ( not redundant) is conserved in the output like this: A ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pedro88
5 Replies
MSGUNIQ(1)								GNU								MSGUNIQ(1)

NAME
msguniq - unify duplicate translations in message catalog SYNOPSIS
msguniq [OPTION] [INPUTFILE] DESCRIPTION
Unifies duplicate translations in a translation catalog. Finds duplicate translations of the same message ID. Such duplicates are invalid input for other programs like msgfmt, msgmerge or msgcat. By default, duplicates are merged together. When using the --repeated option, only duplicates are output, and all other messages are discarded. Comments and extracted comments will be cumulated, except that if --use-first is specified, they will be taken from the first translation. File positions will be cumulated. When using the --unique option, duplicates are discarded. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. Input file location: INPUTFILE input PO file -D, --directory=DIRECTORY add DIRECTORY to list for input files search If no input file is given or if it is -, standard input is read. Output file location: -o, --output-file=FILE write output to specified file The results are written to standard output if no output file is specified or if it is -. Message selection: -d, --repeated print only duplicates -u, --unique print only unique messages, discard duplicates Output details: -t, --to-code=NAME encoding for output --use-first use first available translation for each message, don't merge several translations -e, --no-escape do not use C escapes in output (default) -E, --escape use C escapes in output, no extended chars --force-po write PO file even if empty -i, --indent write the .po file using indented style --no-location do not write '#: filename:line' lines -n, --add-location generate '#: filename:line' lines (default) --strict write out strict Uniforum conforming .po file -w, --width=NUMBER set output page width --no-wrap do not break long message lines, longer than the output page width, into several lines -s, --sort-output generate sorted output -F, --sort-by-file sort output by file location Informative output: -h, --help display this help and exit -V, --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by Bruno Haible. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-gettext@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001-2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for msguniq is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and msguniq programs are properly installed at your site, the command info msguniq should give you access to the complete manual. GNU gettext 0.11.4 July 2002 MSGUNIQ(1)