Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cygwin bash script to unmount and mount an XP partition Post 302876257 by Corona688 on Friday 22nd of November 2013 01:01:22 PM
Old 11-22-2013
fdisk just looks in /dev/ in UNIX, I don't know if cygwin has a real equivalent for that, it'd be real hard to emulate. cygwin is not UNIX after all, it still has to deal with Windows limits.

How was the partition unmounted? Windows usually tries to automount anything and everything it can.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Cannot unmount mount points??

When taking a snap, I have a script that stops any active snap. When running the script, I'm getting a message that u02 and u04 are already mounted. How can I find out what process(es) is/are latching on the these mount points? Thank you for your time. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: genzbeat
1 Replies

3. Gentoo

automating chroot and mount/unmount

Hello, I am trying to automate a task that I believe is easy. It is documented for manual system administrative purposes here: Gentoo Linux -- Installing the Gentoo Base System - chapter 6 I am attempting to do the following in a script: # cd $TOP_OF_ROOT_FS # mount -t proc none... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duderonomy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to make and mount a Partition

Hi, I need to mount a new partition in a series of Pc that have a single hard drive of 20 GB; the used and partioned space amounts to 10 GB, between root, boot and swap; the script is to make the mounting process automatic These are the contents of my script: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HernandJ2
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

/usr out of disk space need to unmount/ expand volume /mount

Greetings, I am running HP-UX 10.2 and /usr is out of disk space already. I installed IE 5.0 for UNIX on my machine under /usr and browsed the Internet for a while and presto no more disk space. I have plenty of hard disk space on my computer so would like to expand the size of the volume. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dirk_
5 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Can't Mount Disk / Image after bad unmount

I have had a little issue with one of my disks, the usb cacble was pulled out and one of the external drives on it would no longer mount. I used First Aid and it verified and repaired both OK / nothing to do). After lots of messing around and not being able to mount I used Drive Genius 2 and that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cranie
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unmount the partition

Dear all, I have a two hard drive.On the second (/dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2) hard drive i have two partitions. The /dev/sdb2 has been mounted on the /home2 directory.I want to unmount that /dev/sdb2.I have no idea to how to do it.Can anybody give me the details about that?. Regards, Prakashkumar.S (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakashkumar41
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to unmount and mount by UUID

Hi, Need a bit of help on this one as I am a scripting noob. I have a linux based NAS that mounts USB hard drives in an inconsistent location and to make matters worse, seems to lose the mount for an unknown reason and doesn't remount automatically unless the drive is removed and re-inserted.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gtr33m
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script (tar + md) on Cygwin

Hi everybody, First, I'm sorry for my bad english! I have the following situation: I have a Windows 2012 R2 with Cygwin installed. The Windows Server is used as a backup Server with Dell AppAssure installed. At the moment, AppAssure saves Backup Targets to a repository on his D. The... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fibra3000
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

AIX - SAN Mount and Unmount on LPAR

We have 2 LPAR. LPAR #1 have a Application, Database Server process (ctree Server) and SAN+Physical Table. LPAR#2 has only Application. Both Application process are connected to Database via C-tree Server Process (Running on LPAR #1.. We want to keep one Active C-tree Server and one Backup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gabhanes
1 Replies
CFDISK(8)							 GNU fdisk Manual							 CFDISK(8)

NAME
GNU fdisk, lfdisk, gfdisk - manipulate partition tables on a hard drive SYNOPSIS
fdisk [options] [device] DESCRIPTION
fdisk is a disk partition manipulation program, which allows you to create, destroy, resize, move and copy partitions on a hard drive using a menu-driven interface. It is useful for organising the disk space on a new drive, reorganising an old drive, creating space for new oper- ating systems, and copying data to new hard disks. For a list of the supported partition types, see the --list-partition-types option below. It comes in two variants, gfdisk and lfdisk. Lfdisk aims to resemble Linux fdisk 2.12, while gfdisk supports more advanced disk operations, like resizing the filesystem, moving and copying partitions. When starting fdisk, the default is to run gfdisk. OPTIONS
-h, --help displays a help message. -v, --version displays the program's version. -L, --linux-fdisk turns on Linux fdisk compatibility mode. This is the same as running lfdisk. -G, --gnu-fdisk turns off Linux fdisk compatibility mode. -i, --interactive where necessary, prompts for user intervention. -p, --script never prompts for user intervention. -l, --list lists the partition table on the specified device and exits. If there is no device specified, lists the partition tables on all detected devices. -r, --raw-list displays a hex dump of the partition table of the disk, similar to the way Linux fdisk displays the raw data in the partition table. -u, --sector-units use sectors, instead of cylinders for a default unit. -s, --size=DEVICE prints the size of the partition on DEVICE is printed on the standard output. -t, --list-partition-types displays a list of supported partition types and features. The following options are available only to lfdisk. -b, --sector-size=SIZE Specify the sector size of the disk. Valid values are 512, 1024 and 2048. Should be used only on older kernels, which don't guess the correct sector size. -C, --cylinders=CYLINDERS Specify the number of cylinders of the disk. Currently does nothing, it is left for Linux fdisk compatibility. -H, --heads=HEADS Specify the number of heads of the disk. Reasonable values are 255 or 16. -S, --sectors=SECTORS Specify the number of sectors per track. A reasonable value is 63. BUGS
Before editing a BSD disklabel, the partition with the disklabel should already exist on the disk and be detected by the OS. If you have created a BSD-type partition, you need to write the changes to the disk. If fdisk fails to notify the OS about the changes in partition ta- ble, you need to restart your computer. As fdisk tries to guess the device holding the BSD disklabel, it might fail to edit it at all, even if the OS has detected it. In this case you are adviced to simply open the device with fdisk directly. It is possible that it doesn't work on some operating systems. Getting the size of a partition with -s might fail, if fdisk fails to guess the disk device, for the same reasons as with the previous bug. SEE ALSO
mkfs(8), cfdisk(8), parted(8) The fdisk program is fully documented in the info(1) format GNU fdisk User Manual manual. fdisk 18 August, 2006 CFDISK(8)