Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Variable definition
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Variable definition Post 302876162 by woodensnotty on Friday 22nd of November 2013 04:49:01 AM
Old 11-22-2013
This may help define a variable, in computer programmingSmilie I have read that it is a storage location and an associated symbolic name, an identifier which contains some known or unknown quantity or information, a value.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Definition of Concurrent Users

Can someone guide me in telling me what is a good definition of concurrent users. Is there a website I can go to to get this definition? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpshaw
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

What wrong with the variable definition

i am using the below script and trying to move files in that directory in that pattern to archive. But it doesn;t seem to take the metacharacters. Please sugggest. Code Debug output: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

daemons definition

hi there, can somebody give me a definition for daemons, or example what are they !! and what the use for? i've done some research and all what i found is /etc/... or /usr/bin/... and i haven't quietly got the concept. any ideas !! Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2Linux
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Definition of $-

Could someone please direct me to a link that gives the definitions for each of the letters from the results of the $- environment variable? It would be nice to know what shell options each of the letters represents, but I am specifically looking for the shell option for 'c' (lowercase c). Thank... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sszd
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

macro definition in FTP

Hi, I am trying to create a macro in FTP to rename multiple files.Below given is the codewhich i tried. I wanted to pass the files from the file "$FTPTXRENAMESUCLIST`" to the renfiles macro. Your help will be really appreciated. ftp -i -v -n << endftp > $FTPTXLOG 2> $FTPER open... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinivt
0 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Definition of Bytes

A byte is the smallest unit of storage which can be accessed in a computer's memory- either in RAM or ROM.It also holds exactly 8 bits.But its old view one byte was sufficient to hold one 8 bit character.Modern days especially on .NET or international versions of Win 32, 16 bits is needed. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stoudtLion
2 Replies

8. Programming

Get struct definition

I have many headers with huge amount of structures in them, typical one looks like this: $ cat a.h struct Rec1 { int f1; int f2; }; struct Rec2 { char r1; char r2; }; struct Rec3 { int f1; float k1; float ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment variable definition

I'm a bit confused about the term ‘environment variables'. Within your shell you can set two types of variables: 1. Shell variable - affecting functionality within your shell 2. User defined variable When using the ‘export' command on a variable you make sure it's being inherited by new sub... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niels
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Variable definition inside mysql query

Hello, I am running ubuntu16.04. By means of @Rudic's help, I have below command. What I need to do is to replace video_id by value of video_id in which WHERE clause is matched: {print "INSERT INTO video_series_files (id, video_id, file_type, protocol, \ url, languages, quality, accessed... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
12 Replies
swap_lw_bytes(9r)														 swap_lw_bytes(9r)

NAME
swap_lw_bytes, swap_word_bytes, swap_words - General: Perform byte-swapping operations SYNOPSIS
unsigned int swap_lw_bytes( unsigned int buffer ); unsigned int swap_word_bytes( unsigned int buffer ); unsigned int swap_words( unsigned int buffer ); ARGUMENTS
Specifies a 32-bit (4 bytes) quantity. DESCRIPTION
The swap_lw_bytes interface performs a longword byte swap. The swap_word_bytes interface performs a short word byte swap. The swap_words interface performs a word byte swap. Many computer vendors support devices that use a big endian model of byte ordering. Because Digital devices support the little endian model of byte ordering, there is a need for these byte-swapping interfaces. In addition, some buses (for example, the VMEbus) can have specific or implied byte ordering that may require the use of these interfaces. Given that a longword is equal to 4 bytes; a short word is equal to 2 bytes; and 1 byte is equal to 8 bits, these interfaces swap bytes as follows: The swap_lw_bytes interface takes the 32-bit quantity specified by the buffer argument and swaps all 4 bytes. The swap_word_bytes interface takes the 32-bit quantity specified by the buffer argument and swaps the individual bytes that make up each word of the 32-bit quantity. The swap_words interface takes the 32-bit quantity specified by the buffer argument and swaps the two 16-bit words. The following illustration compares the byte swapping performed by these interfaces. 31 0 +---+---+---+---+ Starting value: | a | b | c | d | +---+---+---+---+ Long word byte swap (swap_lw_bytes) 31 0 +---+---+---+---+ Ending value: | d | c | b | a | +-------+---+---+ Short word byte swap (swap_word_bytes) 31 0 +---+---+---+---+ Ending value: | b | a | d | c | +---+---+---+---+ 31 0 +---+---+---+---+ Starting value: | ab | cd | +---+---+---+---+ Word byte swap (swap_words) 31 0 +---+---+---+---+ Ending value: | cd | ab | +---+---+---+---+ RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these interfaces return the swapped bytes. swap_lw_bytes(9r)