Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search substring in a column of file Post 302876091 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 21st of November 2013 03:55:12 PM
Old 11-21-2013
Or this string trick
Code:
awk '
NR == FNR {
        id[";"$1";"]
        next
}
{      x = ";"$5";"
        for (i in id)
                if (index(x,i))
                        print i, $0
}' idfile masterfile

Would be interesting if this is faster than Don's one. Or if index(x,i) is faster than x ~ i...
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search name and display column from a file

Hi I have search everywhere for this but I haven't got any result. so here is my question? I am trying to ask user to enter a name and then searching that name from a file and from a specific column. If user enter something, it should only displaying that name from that specific column and If the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sillyha
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for string and return substring

Hi, I have a file with the following contents: I need to create a script or search command that will search for this string 'ENDC' in the file. This string is unique and only occurs in one record. Once it finds the string, I would like it to return positions 101-109 ( this is the date of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lenora2009
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for a word in a particular column of a file

How to search for a word like "computer" in a column (eg: 4th field) of a '***' delimited file and add a column at the end of the record which denotes 'Y' if present and 'N' if not. After this, we need to again check for words like 'Dell' but not 'DellXPS' in 5th field and again add another column... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jassz
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File 1 Column 1 value search in File 2 records, then loop?

Summary: I planned on using Awk to grab a value from File 1 and search all records/fields in file 2. If there is a match in File 2, print the first column value of the record of the match of File2. Continue this search until the end of file 2. Once at the end of file 2, grab the next value in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Incog
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Substring search

Hi I have a table like this I want to know how many times the string in 2nd column appears in the first column as substring. For example the first string of 2nd column "cgt" occurs 3 times in the 1st column and "acg" one time. So my desired output is THank you very much in advance:) (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: polsum
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Search for a pattern and substring text in a file

I have the following data in a text file. "A",1,"MyTextfile.CSV","200","This is ,line one" "B","EFG",23,"MyTextfile1.csv","5621",562,"This is ,line two" I want to extract the fileNames MyTextfile.CSV and MyTextfile1.csv. The problem is not all the lines are delimited with "," There are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshTrak
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print rows with substring in column

Hi I want to print all rows where there is the alphabet N in the 6th column as a substring. Here is what i tried and not working.Please help ! awk ' { if ( $6 == *"N"* ) print $0} ' awk ' { if ( "${6}" == *N* ) print $0} ' awk ' { if( grep -q N <<<$6) print $0} ' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie83
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and add the column in the file

Hi All, I have the Overview.csv file like below format Message ID Sendout Group Name Email Subject Name Type Rcpts Responses Response Rate Open Rate Click Rate 2000009723 01-22-2014 16:14 Test_GroupPQA2013 000123@yahoo.com INFO RISQUE D'INONDATION... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: armsaran
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match substring from a column of the second file

I want to merge the lines by matching substring of the first file with first column of the second file. file1: S00739A_ACAGTG_L001_R1.fq.gz S00739A_ACAGTG_L001_R2.fq.gz S00739B_GCCAAT_L001_R1.fq.gz S00739B_GCCAAT_L001_R2.fq.gz S00739D_GTGAAA_L001_R1.fq.gz S00739D_GTGAAA_L001_R2.fq.gz... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed question for substring search

i have this data where i am looking for a two digit number 01,03,05 or 07. if not found i should detect that . this sed command gives me the matching rows . I want the opposite , i want the rows if the match is NOT found . also the sed command is only looking for 01, can i add 03, 05, 07 to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: boncuk
7 Replies
tracker-search(1)						   User Commands						 tracker-search(1)

NAME
tracker-search - Search all content for keywords SYNOPSIS
tracker-search [OPTION...] EXPRESSION [EXPRESSION...] DESCRIPTION
tracker-search searches all indexed content for EXPRESSION. The resource in which EXPRESSION matches must exist (see --all for more infor- mation). All results are returned in ascending order. In all cases, if no EXPRESSION is given for an argument (like --folders for example) then ALL items in that category are returned instead. EXPRESSION One or more terms to search. The default operation is a logical AND. For logical OR operations, see -r. OPTIONS
-?, --help Give a short help message. -l, --limit=N Limit search to N results. The default is 512. -o, --offset=N Offset the search results by N. For example, start at item number 10 in the results. The default is 0. -r, --or-operator Use OR for search terms instead of AND (the default) -d, --detailed Show the unique URN associated with each search result. This does not apply to --music-albums and --music-artists. -a, --all Show results which might not be available. This might bebecause a removable media is not mounted for example. Without this option, resources are only shown if they exist. This option applies to all command line switches except --music-albums and --music-artists. -f, --files=EXPRESSION Search for files of any type matching EXPRESSION (optional). -e, --folders=EXPRESSION Search for folders matching EXPRESSION (optional). -m, --music=EXPRESSION Search for music files matching EXPRESSION (optional). --music-albums=ALBUM Search for music albums matching ALBUM (optional). --music-artists=ARTIST Search for music artists matching ARTIST (optional). -l, --images=EXPRESSION Search for images matching EXPRESSION (optional). -v, --videos=EXPRESSION Search for videos matching EXPRESSION (optional). -t, --documents=EXPRESSION Search for documents matching EXPRESSION (optional). -e, --emails=EXPRESSION Search for emails matching EXPRESSION (optional). Returns a list of subjects for emails found. -c, --contacts=EXPRESSION Search for contacts matching EXPRESSION (optional). Returns a list of names and email addresses found. -V, --version Print version. SEE ALSO
tracker-store(1), tracker-stats(1), tracker-tag(1), tracker-info(1). GNU
July 2009 tracker-search(1)