Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX upgrade fails
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support AIX upgrade fails Post 302875997 by bakunin on Thursday 21st of November 2013 10:53:16 AM
Old 11-21-2013
I suggest you do an "alt-disk-install" - which would be a fresh install of the new version of the OS - or an "alt-disk-migration", which means:

- breaking the mirror of a mirrored rootvg
- update the OS on the broken-off mirror
- restart the system (from the newly updated disk)
- resynchronize by remirroring using the disk with the old OS version

alt-disk-installation is quite similar, just instead of an update a fresh install is done.

Fortunately all this is done by the procedure itself, you do not do (manually) any of these steps. I just wrote it so you can picture what goes on during the procedure.

Put the disk back in, establish the mirror again and then start over doing an alt-disk-migration. For a procedure for performing an alternate disk migration read the IBM infocenter page.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

HELP for AIX 4.3 upgrade to 5.3

Hi guys I have joined a new department and one of my tasks is to investigate the feasibility of upgrading our current AIX v 4.3 to V5.3. I do not know anything about AIX and any actual work will be done by an outside consultant until such time as I have built up my own knowledge. The system we... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JDM
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX ML upgrade

Hello everyone, I have to do a ML upgrade on AIX 5.2 from 01 to 09 this is the first time iam going to do it. are there any command i have to keep in mind?? thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX Upgrade

Does anyone know any gotcha's on upgrading AIX from 5.1 to 5.3? Any interim steps on needs to do or ??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: capeme
3 Replies

4. AIX

POLL function fails under AIX v5.3

I am having a strange problem with the poll() routine. I compiled a module under AIX 5.2 using the poll routine, it worked fine. When the OS was upgraded to AIX 5.3 the poll routine return an error code. Here is a summary of the code: #define MAX_EVENTS 300 long eventCount;... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TahirNazir
0 Replies

5. AIX

AIX: chpath command fails

Hi Guys, i'm having trouble changing the path-priority. Now both priorities are 1 as you can see in the lspath-output. Any ideas why the chpath command fails? # chpath -l hdisk3 -p fscsi1 -a priority=10 Method error (/etc/methods/chgdisk): 0514-080 Invalid routine argument... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raba
4 Replies

6. AIX

tcpdump fails at AIX 5.2

While executing tcpdump , i am getting following error. tcpdump: BIOCSETIF: en0: Do not specify an existing file. I checked with truss , and i able to see kioctl system is failed with "EEXIST" ============================================== Message from truss output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekarsamy
2 Replies

7. AIX

Upgrade from AIX 5.3 to 6.1

Hello Folks, i am facing some weired issues. case is like this :- initially i was on AIX 5.3 i have installed filesets related to my application and those were in APPLY state.(COMMIT is set as NO) Then i have taken lslpp -l| grep -i <apps name> in that i confirmed whether the filesets are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harsh_mulay
1 Replies

8. AIX

How to upgrade AIX Firmware & TL Maintenance Level in AIX

Steps to upgrade AIX TL ( technology Level ) / Maintenance Level in AIX ( including Firmware HMC VIOS ) This article or post covers upgrades for - Hardware Management Console ( HMC ) - Firmware ( also known as microcode ) - VIO ( Virtual I/O Server = PowerVM ) - AIX Version, Technology... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Sun Live Upgrade - lucreate fails

Hi, I currently have one BE and would like to create an ABE. # lustatus BE_name Complete Active ActiveOnReboot CopyStatus ------------------------------------------------------------------------ coolthreads yes yes yes - But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgarousi
3 Replies

10. AIX

AIX upgrade

i upgrade aix ml 5.3.2.1 to 5.3.2.2 but when running commnd #oslevel -r shows out put, again 5.3.2.1-- where should i chek??? 2-can any one tell me when mknfs command run which files get updated?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nayyer
2 Replies
installboot(1M) 														   installboot(1M)

NAME
installboot - install bootblocks in a disk partition SYNOPSIS
installboot bootblk raw-disk-device The boot(1M) program, ufsboot, is loaded from disk by the bootblock program which resides in the boot area of a disk partition. The ufs boot objects are platform-dependent, and reside in the /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory. The platform name can be found using the -i option of uname(1). The installboot utility is a SPARC only program. It is not supported on the architecture. users should use installgrub(1M) instead. bootblk The name of the bootblock code. raw-disk-device The name of the disk device onto which the bootblock code is to be installed; it must be a character device which is read- able and writable. Naming conventions for a SCSI or IPI drive are c?t?d?s? and c?d?s? for an IDE drive. Example 1: Installing UFS Boot Block To install a ufs boot block on slice 0 of target 0 on controller 1 of the platform where the command is being run, use: example# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory where ufs boot objects reside. /platform/platform-name/ufsboot second level program to boot from a disk or CD See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ od(1), uname(1), boot(1M), init(1M), kadb(1M), kernel(1M), monitor(1M), reboot(1M), rpc.bootparamd(1M), init.d(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
The installboot utility fails if the bootblk or openfirmware files do not exist or if the raw disk device is not a character device. 11 Apr 2005 installboot(1M)