Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH- Need help pulling data from .emlx Post 302875923 by neutronscott on Wednesday 20th of November 2013 10:26:04 PM
Old 11-20-2013
small improvements. not that it's likely you'll have % in your filenames, but you should use printf properly: printf '%s\tFAIL\t\n' "$filename"

if using bash you'd also want read -r to disable backslash processing too.

examples:
Code:
mute@thedoctor:~$ read var <<< 'file\name'; echo "$var"
filename
mute@thedoctor:~$ read -r var <<< 'file\name'; echo "$var"
file\name
mute@thedoctor:~$ filename='%strange'; printf "$filename\tOK\n"
trange  OK

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to neutronscott For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pulling data and following lines from file

I saw a few posts close to what i want to do, but they didn't look like they would work exactly.. or I need to think out of the box on this. I have a file that I keep server stats in for my own performance analysis. this file has the output from many commands in it (uptime, vmstats, ps, swap... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP to server, pulling data and removing the data

Hi all, I have the following script, but are not too sure about the syntax to complete the script. In essence, the script must connect to a SFTP server at a client site with username and password located in a file on my server. Then change to the appropriate directory. Pull the data to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: codenjanod
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script pulling variable from query_string

I have a variable embedded in a long string called "commands" coming in on a query_string. I need to copy the string to a file with the variable $loop1 converted before it writes. Right now, it writes the varible itself instead of what it should be. QUERY_STRING... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with pulling / filtering data from a .csv

Good day Gurus, I have a csv file that contains an inventory of active servers. This csv file contains a well over a hundred systems (IBM, SUN, HP). It also contains those systems details. See below for an example hostA,invver,1.02,20100430 hostA,date,08/30/2010,06:18 hostA,use,"Unknown... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LuffyDMonkey
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic bash -- pulling files from an FTP server

Hi guys. Very new to this so apologies if this is ridiculously obvious, but I am not sure why this isn't working. I want to pull a file off an FTP server. I currently do it through windows, which is no problem, but I want to move everything to a Linux box I just installed. wget won't work as the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormajormajor
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pulling data from xml

Hi there, Please could anyone help with this. I have an xml file that contains repeating values eg <Rule name> AAAAA <Action> BBBBB </Action> <Data> CCCCC </Data> <Type> DDDDD </Type> </Rule name> <Rule name> A1A1A1A1 <Action> B1B1B1B1 </Action> <Data> C1C1C1C </Data> <Type>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssideel
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pulling Data, Then Moving to the Next File

I'm scanning a list of emails- I need to pull 2 pieces of data, then move to the next file: Sender's Email Address Email Date I need these to be outputted into a single column- separated by a ",". Like this: Email1's Address, Email1's Date Stamp Email2's Address, Email2's Date Stamp... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudo
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pulling information from a data file by date

awk -v now="$(date +%s)" -v tDiff="${USERMINUTES}" ' BEGIN { FS="=" if (!now) now=systime() if (!tDiff) tDiff=60*60 p=1 } /{/ {rec=$0;p=1;next} /}/ && rec && p {print rec ORS $0;next} $1=="entry_time" { if (now-$2>tDiff)p=0 } {rec=rec ORS $0}'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Pulling first and last character in string

I am writing a bash script that will find all references to the “Well_List” in the “Comp_File”. I am filtering a Well_List that contains the following: TEST_WELL_01 TEST_WELL_02 TEST_WELL_11 TEST_WELL_22 GOV_WELL_1 GOV_WELL_201 PUB_WELL_57 PUB_WELL_82 . . Comparison... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: petfyp
5 Replies
PRINTF(1)								FSF								 PRINTF(1)

NAME
printf - format and print data SYNOPSIS
printf FORMAT [ARGUMENT]... printf OPTION DESCRIPTION
NOTE: your shell may have its own version of printf which will supercede the version described here. Please refer to your shell's documen- tation for details about the options it supports. Print ARGUMENT(s) according to FORMAT. --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit FORMAT controls the output as in C printf. Interpreted sequences are: " double quote NNN character with octal value NNN (0 to 3 digits) \ backslash a alert (BEL)  backspace c produce no further output f form feed new line carriage return horizontal tab v vertical tab xNNN byte with hexadecimal value NNN (1 to 3 digits) uNNNN character with hexadecimal value NNNN (4 digits) UNNNNNNNN character with hexadecimal value NNNNNNNN (8 digits) %% a single % %b ARGUMENT as a string with `' escapes interpreted and all C format specifications ending with one of diouxXfeEgGcs, with ARGUMENTs converted to proper type first. Variable widths are han- dled. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for printf is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and printf programs are properly installed at your site, the command info printf should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 4.5.3 February 2003 PRINTF(1)