Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Split XML file based on tags
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split XML file based on tags Post 302875741 by Pratik4891 on Wednesday 20th of November 2013 09:20:41 AM
Old 11-20-2013
Thanks Akash ,

However I am getting the below error

awk: A print or getline function must have a file name.
The input line number is 1. The file is HSBC_new.xml.
The source line number is 1.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to split XML file

Hi, I'm experiencing difficulty in loading an XML file to an Oracle destination table.I keep running into a memory problem due to the large size of the file. I want to split the XML file into several smaller files based on the keyword(s)/tags : '' and '' and would like to use a Unix shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bayflash27
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract a specific number from an XML file based on the start and end tags

Hello People, I have the following contents in an XML file ........... ........... .......... ........... <Details = "Sample Details"> <Name>Bob</Name> <Age>34</Age> <Address>CA</Address> <ContactNumber>1234</ContactNumber> </Details> ........... ............. .............. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushant172
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to split a xml file in proper format

Hi, I have a file which has xml data but all in single line Ex - <?xml version="1.0"?><User><Name>Robert</Name><Location>California</Location><Occupation>Programmer</Occupation></User> I want to split the data in proper xml format Ex- <?xml version="1.0"?> <User> <Name>Robert</Name>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avishek007
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

split XML file into multiple files based on pattern

Hello, I am using awk to split a file into multiple files using command: nawk '{ if ( $1 == "<process" ) { n=split($2, arr, "\""); file=arr } print > file }' processes.xml <process name="Process1.process"> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split xml file into many

Hi, I had a scenario need a help as I am new to this. I have a xml file employee.xml with the below content. <Organisation><employee>xxx</employee><employee>yyy</employee><employee>zzz</employee></Organisation> I want to split the file into multiple file as below. Is there a specifice way... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mankuar
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split XML file

Hi Experts, Can you please help me to split following XML file based on new Order ? Actual file is very big. I have taken few lines of it. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?> <Orders xmlns='http://www.URL.com/Orders'> <Order> <ORDNo>450321</ORDNo> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetmedude
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : to split the tags from xml file

I do have an xml sheet as below where I need the perl script to filter only the hyperlink tags. <cols><col min="1" max="1" width="30.5703125" customWidth="1"/><col min="2" max="2" width="7.140625" bestFit="1" customWidth="1"/> <col min="3" max="3" width="32.28515625" bestFit="1"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Splitting a Large XML file based on size AND tags

Hi All, This is my first post here. Hoping to share and gain knowledge from this great forum !!!! I've scanned this forum before posting my problem here, but I'm afraid I couldn't find any thread that addresses this exact problem. I'm trying to split a large XML file (with multiple tag... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aviktheory11
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split xml file into multiple xml based on letterID

Hi All, We need to split a large xml into multiple valid xml with same header(2lines) and footer(last line) for N number of letterId. In the example below we have first 2 lines as header and last line as footer.(They need to be in each split xml file) Header: <?xml version="1.0"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue splitting file based on XML tags

more a-d.txt1 <a-dets> <a-serv> <aserv>mymac14,mymac15:MYAPP:mydom:/web/domain/mydom/config <NMGR>:MYAPP:/web/bea_apps/perf/NMGR/NMGR1034 <a-rep-string> 11.12.10.01=192.10.00.26 10.20.18.10=192.10.00.27 </a-rep-string> </a-serv> <w-serv>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
GETLINE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							GETLINE(3)

NAME
getline, getdelim - delimited string input SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> ssize_t getline(char **lineptr, size_t *n, FILE *stream); ssize_t getdelim(char **lineptr, size_t *n, int delim, FILE *stream); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): getline(), getdelim(): Since glibc 2.10: _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200809L || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 700 Before glibc 2.10: _GNU_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
getline() reads an entire line from stream, storing the address of the buffer containing the text into *lineptr. The buffer is null-termi- nated and includes the newline character, if one was found. If *lineptr is NULL, then getline() will allocate a buffer for storing the line, which should be freed by the user program. (In this case, the value in *n is ignored.) Alternatively, before calling getline(), *lineptr can contain a pointer to a malloc(3)-allocated buffer *n bytes in size. If the buffer is not large enough to hold the line, getline() resizes it with realloc(3), updating *lineptr and *n as necessary. In either case, on a successful call, *lineptr and *n will be updated to reflect the buffer address and allocated size respectively. getdelim() works like getline(), except that a line delimiter other than newline can be specified as the delimiter argument. As with get- line(), a delimiter character is not added if one was not present in the input before end of file was reached. RETURN VALUE
On success, getline() and getdelim() return the number of characters read, including the delimiter character, but not including the termi- nating null byte (''). This value can be used to handle embedded null bytes in the line read. Both functions return -1 on failure to read a line (including end-of-file condition). In the event of an error, errno is set to indicate the cause. ERRORS
EINVAL Bad arguments (n or lineptr is NULL, or stream is not valid). VERSIONS
These functions are available since libc 4.6.27. CONFORMING TO
Both getline() and getdelim() were originally GNU extensions. They were standardized in POSIX.1-2008. EXAMPLE
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(void) { FILE *fp; char *line = NULL; size_t len = 0; ssize_t read; fp = fopen("/etc/motd", "r"); if (fp == NULL) exit(EXIT_FAILURE); while ((read = getline(&line, &len, fp)) != -1) { printf("Retrieved line of length %zu : ", read); printf("%s", line); } free(line); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
read(2), fgets(3), fopen(3), fread(3), gets(3), scanf(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2013-04-19 GETLINE(3)