Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Value Too Great for Base Error, Explanation and Workout needed Post 302875465 by RudiC on Tuesday 19th of November 2013 02:52:08 PM
Old 11-19-2013
bash takes numerical input with leading zeroes to be octal values, hence 8 & 9 are too great. You can either strip the zeroes or indicate the base by e.g. a leading 10# . man bash:
Quote:
Constants with a leading 0 are interpreted as octal numbers. A leading 0x or 0X denotes hexadecimal. Otherwise, numbers take the
form [base#]n, where the optional base is a decimal number between 2 and 64 representing the arithmetic base, and n is a number in
that base. If base# is omitted, then base 10 is used. The digits greater than 9 are represented by the lowercase letters, the
uppercase letters, @, and _, in that order. If base is less than or equal to 36, lowercase and uppercase letters may be used inter‐
changeably to represent numbers between 10 and 35.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command explanation needed

Hi, Could you please explain me the below statement -- phrase wise. sed -e :a -e '$q;N;'$cnt',$D;ba' abc.txt > xyz.txt if suppose $cnt contains value: 10 it copies last 9 lines of abc.txt to xyz.txt why it is copying last 9 rather than 10. and also what is ba and $D over there in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbukns
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Windows driver needed for 1000 base tx card (HP)

First of all, excuse my ignorance in my questions, but truth is, I know nothing about Unix. I have recently purchased some A7012A's (dual port, 1000 base T/X) gigabit cards and need to use them in a windows environment. I am trying to see if it is possible to have drivers written for the card... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: poaking
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exec explanation needed

Hello! I want to read a file line by line and have each line in a variable. I have found the following code. #!/bin/bash exec 3< data while read <&3 do echo "The number is $REPLY" a.out "$REPLY" done exec 3>&- I don't understand the use of exec and its arguments, though having read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: myle
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Which Base Level Filesets needed by a specific program?

hello... thats a great forum btw :) my problem is that I need a list of the Base Level Filesets (BLF) which are needed by a specific program. Is there any command/tool which shows me that? during the installation I can choose "Preview only" so that I can see what BLF´s are missing etc but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cypher82
4 Replies

5. Solaris

showrev output explanation needed

hi this is the output of showrev command from my sun blade 150 machine. bash-3.00# showrev Hostname: u15_9 Hostid: 83685284 Release: 5.10 Kernel architecture: sun4u Application architecture: sparc Hardware provider: Sun_Microsystems Domain: sun.com Kernel version: SunOS 5.10... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingston
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explanation Needed

Hi all, I'm very new to UNIX. I have got a coding, where i dont understand the below part. Could someone please explain it in detail? awk 'NR > 1; NR == 1 { S = $0 } END { print S }' $textfile.bak > $textfile could someone explain what awk 'NR > 1; NR == 1 { S = $0 } END { print S }' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghulshekar
1 Replies

7. Programming

Python 3.1 TypeError explanation needed

Could someone explain why Python 3.1 errors out below? Do I need an additional module that's not required in 3.2 perhaps? I need to use 3.1 as it's the version available on a server I am using. Python 3.2.1rc1 (default, May 18 2011, 11:01:17) on linux2 Type "help", "copyright", "credits"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grep - Explanation needed.

grep -E '^(++){5}5000' <file_name> this command searches value 5000 in only 6th column from provided file where pipe ( | )is delimiter which separate columns... can some one plz explain me what '^(++){5}5000' actually does..? :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Killer420
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little explanation needed on array

I had gone through..google search.....and unix user post.......where I found so many ways of accessing files..... suppose if I am having 4 files, each file is having 3 columns, and I want to use each field of each column, then how can I use it.. how can I create array for each file's each column,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dona Clara
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Explanation for Scripts Inner Workings Needed

#!/bin/bash n=$l; typeset -a v x=$(< input.dat) check(){ if; then sed 's/Test/Proc/g' file.sh >fl.sh else exit 13 fi } check $n while ; do x=`expr $x -l` v=$x done less fi.sh l>/dev/null&& echo yes || exit 1 echo v= ${v } exit 0 I have file.sh and input.dat in the current... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bananasprite
3 Replies
strtoimax(3C)															     strtoimax(3C)

NAME
strtoimax(), strtoumax() - convert string to integer SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
or converts the character string pointed to by str to or representation, respectively. The string is scanned up to the first character inconsistent with the base. Leading ``white-space'' characters (as defined by in ctype(3C)) are ignored. If no conversion can take place, zero is returned. If base is greater than or equal to 2 and less than or equal to 36, it is used as the base for conversion. After an optional leading sign, leading zeros are ignored, and or is ignored if base is 16. If base is zero, the string itself determines the base as follows: after an optional leading sign, a leading zero indicates octal conver- sion; a leading or indicates hexadecimal conversion. Otherwise, decimal conversion is used. If the value of ptr is not a pointer to the character terminating the scan is returned in the location pointed to by ptr. If no integer can be formed, the location pointed to by ptr is set to str, and zero is returned. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, all functions return the converted value, if any. If the correct value would cause overflow: returns or (according to the sign of the value), and sets to returns and sets to For all other errors, zero is returned and is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
and fail and is set, if any of the following conditions are encountered: The value of base is not supported. The value to be returned would have caused overflow. AUTHOR
and were developed by HP. SEE ALSO
ctype(3C), strtod(3C), strtol(3C), scanf(3S), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
strtoimax(3C)