Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Loop breaks through ssh in script Post 302875015 by bakunin on Monday 18th of November 2013 09:40:00 AM
Old 11-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by omonoiatis9
i use the backticks because this way i tell the script if the command inside the backticks executes successfully then proceed. else if the command fails it doesnt get into the if statement.
No, no and again: no.

First, the "if"-statement:

The if-statement is defined as:
Code:
if command ; then commandA ; else commandB ; fi

command can be any command, simple or complex. In either way its return code is used to determine if the then-branch or the else-branch is executed. If the return code ("$?") is 0 (zero), the then-branch is executed, otherwise the else-branch.

The probably most often-used command in this position is /usr/bin/test or its counterpart /usr/bin/[. Both work the same way (the difference being that "[" requires "]" as the last argument): if the tests specified as arguments add up to a boolean TRUE it returns 0, for a boolean FALSE it returns 1.

Still, the same way as you use test you can use any other command. For instance:

Code:
if grep -q EXPR /some/file ; then

will execute the then-branch if EXPR is found in /some/file and the else-branch if not, because grep will return 0 if it finds what is searched for and 1 if it doesn't.

Second: the backticks.

Even if you need process substitution (which isn't the case, see above), you should NOT use backticks - not the last 20 years or so. Even ksh88 already had "$(...)" instead of "`...`", which is not only nestable, but also the POSIX-compatible way to enclose a process. Backticks are supported only for one reason: backwards compatibility. There is absolutely no reason to use them any more, because they offer absolutely no advantage over "$(...)", only drawbacks.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP Script that sends mail - Postfix breaks it

I have a PHP Script that works perfectly on a server that uses Sendmail. However I tried to port it to a new server that has the Postfix to Sendmail compatibility interface, and it doesn't work properly. The php.ini file has the path for sendmail on both servers set to: /usr/sbin/sendmail -t... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopfm523
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using ssh with a for loop

How do you do an ssh on a for statement. I have done ssh on individula lines of code before with no problems. #!/usr/bin/ksh cat server_list.txt | while read line do ssh $line "for i in `lslpp -l |grep tsm` do lslpp -Lc $i |grep -v State |tr ':' ',' |awk -F, '{print $2, "," ,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: din
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh and for loop

Hi all, I am facing an issue while trying to access a for loop variable inside ssh. Can anyone please help me with what this issue is, the following is the code that I have -> IMPL_LOG_FOLDERS=(transaction_logs invalid_transaction_logs) sshg3 ftp_id@boxname << EOS for log_folder in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anindyabecs
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh breaks loop

Here is the smallest extract to demonstrate the problem that I experience. #!/bin/bash r=$1 while read ip do if ] ;then x=`ssh $ip echo "$ip"` else x=`echo "$ip"` fi echo $x done << EOF 192.168.8.241 192.168.8.241 EOF # Any IP with public key set (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivolvo
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on ssh usage in a loop of shell script

I need help on how to connect remote systems through ssh command in while loop of shell script. I was able to connect one remote system using ssh from shell script. Please find sample code snippet as given below….. ssh "root@148.147.179.100" ARG1=$rpmFileName 'bash -s' <<'ENDSSH' ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh.tulluri
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line breaks in csv file using shell script

Hi All, I've a csv file in which the record is getting break into 1 line or more than one line. I want to combine those splits into one line and remove the unwanted character existing in the record i.e. double quote symbol ("). The line gets break only when the record contains double... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajak.net
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop breaks on yes/no user input

I have a shell script, and its pretty much done, I decided to add a loop that ends or continues depending on user input. like "would you like to continue?" and if I hit y or yes it will run the loop again until I hit n or no and breaks out of the loop. To be hones I didn't think I needed to add... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Demon_Jester
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh while read loop breaks after one record - AIX

#!/bin/ksh for SRV in imawasp01 \ imawasp02 \ imawasp03 \ imawasp04 \ imawasp05 \ imawasp06 \ imawasp07 \ imawasp08 \ imawasp09 do print "${SRV}" while read PASSLINE do SRVNAME=`echo ${PASSLINE} | awk -F\: '{print $1}'` LASTLOGIN=`ssh ${SRV} lsuser ${SRVNAME} | tr '... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: port43
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Page breaks and line breaks

Hi All, Need an urgent solution to an issue . We have created a ksh file or shell script which generates 1 DAT file. the DAT file contains extract of a select statement . Now the issue is , when we are executing the ksh file , the output is coimng with page breaks and line breaks . We have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ayaskant
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop is causing ssh command to exit from script after first iteration.

I am trying to check multiple server's "uptime" in a loop over "ssh". When I execute multiple ssh commands with hard coded servernames script is executing fine. But when I pass server names using while loop, script is exiting after checking first server's status, why? # serverList... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
8 Replies
STG-PUBLISH(1)							   StGit Manual 						    STG-PUBLISH(1)

NAME
stg-publish - Push the stack changes to a merge-friendly branch SYNOPSIS
stg publish [options] [branch] DESCRIPTION
This command commits a set of changes on a separate (called public) branch based on the modifications of the given or current stack. The history of the public branch is not re-written, making it merge-friendly and feasible for publishing. The heads of the stack and public branch may be different but the corresponding tree objects are always the same. If the trees of the stack and public branch are different (otherwise the command has no effect), StGit first checks for a rebase of the stack since the last publishing. If a rebase is detected, StGit creates a commit on the public branch corresponding to a merge between the new stack base and the latest public head. If no rebasing was detected, StGit checks for new patches that may have been created on top of the stack since the last publishing. If new patches are found and are not empty, they are checked into the public branch keeping the same commit information (e.g. log message, author, committer, date). If the above tests fail (e.g. patches modified or removed), StGit creates a new commit on the public branch having the same tree as the stack but the public head as its parent. The editor will be invoked if no "--message" option is given. It is recommended that stack modifications falling in different categories as described above are separated by a publish command in order to keep the public branch history cleaner (otherwise StGit would generate a big commit including several stack modifications). The public branch name can be set via the branch.<branch>.public configuration variable (defaulting to "<branch>.public"). OPTIONS
-b BRANCH, --branch BRANCH Use BRANCH instead of the default branch. --author "NAME <EMAIL>" Set the author details. --authname NAME Set the author name. --authemail EMAIL Set the author email. --authdate DATE Set the author date. -m MESSAGE, --message MESSAGE Use MESSAGE instead of invoking the editor. -f FILE, --file FILE Use the contents of FILE instead of invoking the editor. (If FILE is "-", write to stdout.) --sign Add a "Signed-off-by:" to the end of the patch. --ack Add an "Acked-by:" line to the end of the patch. STGIT
Part of the StGit suite - see linkman:stg[1] StGit 03/13/2012 STG-PUBLISH(1)