Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE /proc/mdstat and cciss not available, how to know your disk is raid Post 302874837 by invinzin21 on Sunday 17th of November 2013 12:11:09 PM
Old 11-17-2013
/proc/mdstat and cciss not available, how to know your disk is raid

Im issuing a cat /proc/mdstat, dmraid -r, and finding a cciss, to know if my server is software raid and hardware raid. But all of them are missing.

What is the other way to know, your disk are raid, your disks is sync, your disk are out of sync, your disk is failed, ASIDE LOOKING AT THEM physically.

My server is old IBM blade hs21, under linux suse 10.3
and the other one is linux suse 11.5

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/proc is eating my disk man

hi I have an sun ultra 5 running a firewall which has logging enabled (essential). The disk is sliced up with /proc on / (c0t0d0s0). / is sliced at 3 gig. My problem is this, one afternoon, a manager asked me to retrieve some firewall logs, so i went into the relevant directory (also on the /... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Creating a Mirror RAID With Existing Disk

Hi there, I'm not sure if this is possible, but here is what I'd like to do.. I have an existing 160GB drive in my Redhat 9.0 server that I would like to add an additional 160GB drive to and create a mirrored RAID of the first disk to the new disk. I would like to do this without having to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysera
2 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Problem replace disk with RAID-5 volumes

Good morning, I have a problem replacing a disk with raid-5 volumes. An hardware error was occurred from a disk c9t3 so all slices were in maintenace. Every slice is part of a raid-5 volume. Any replica is present. Following Volume manager manual for replacing a disk, I have: - phisically... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonovox
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Upgrade disk in RAID 1

I need to upgrade 2 x 73 GB disk and replace with 2 x 146 GB disk in sun v240. These disks contain boot and swap files These are mirrored disks with RAID 1 I am trining to create the correct procedure. So far the procedure I have is as follows: # metastat State: Okay ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: photon
5 Replies

5. Solaris

EFI Disk labels on 3510 raid array

Hi Peeps, Can anyone help me an EFI lablel on a 3510 raid array that I cannot get rid of, format -e and label just asks you if you want to label it. Want an SMI label writing to it. Anyone got any ideas on how to remove the EFI label? Thanks in advance Martin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Configuring RAID using single disk

Hi All, I have a SUN ENTERPRISE 3500 server with solaris 10 on it. I have already mirrored root partition.Now i need to mirror two more partitions with 25GB space. But i have only one disk having 70GB space.Total i have 7 disks but each one is of 18 GB only except one. Please find the output of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Ubunutu 8.04.4 RAID 1 mirror replace disk

Hi, I have an Ubuntu system which I have an faulted mirror. I trying to replace the disk, but I'm stuck on that it boots and only showing GRUB GRUB ## ## End Default Options ## title Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS, kernel 2.6.24-26-server root (hd0,0) kernel ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jld
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Identify failed disk in Linux RAID

Good Evening, 2 years ago, I set up an Ubuntu file-server for a friend, who is a photograph amateur. Basically, the server offers a software RAID-5 that can be accessed remotely from a MAC. Unfortunately, I didn't labeled the hard drives (i.e. which physical drive corresponds to the /dev/sdX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Loic Domaigne
2 Replies

9. AIX

SAN DISK raid level in AIX

Hello All, Our servers having emc clarion for the data disks. Is that possible to see those san disks raid level from AIX ? Am having AIX 6.1 and EMC clarion 5.5. Regards, Gowtham.G (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Patching on Raid 0 Disk

Dear All , We need to do patching on one Solaris Server , where we have raid 0 configured. What is the process to patch a Server if RAID 0 (Concat/Stripe) is there. Below is the sample output. # metadb flags first blk block count a m pc luo 16 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
1 Replies
SYNC(2) 						      BSD System Calls Manual							   SYNC(2)

NAME
sync -- synchronize disk block in-core status with that on disk LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> void sync(void); DESCRIPTION
The sync() function forces a write of dirty (modified) buffers in the block buffer cache out to disk. The kernel keeps this information in core to reduce the number of disk I/O transfers required by the system. As information in the cache is lost after a system crash, kernel thread ioflush ensures that dirty buffers are synced to disk eventually. By default, a dirty buffer is synced after 30 seconds, but some filesystems exploit ioflush features to sync directory data and metadata faster (after 15 and 10 seconds, respectively). The function fsync(2) may be used to synchronize individual file descriptor attributes. CAUTIONS
Many modern disks contain write-back caches. In theory sync() flushes these. In practice there are many possible ways for this mechanism to go astray. It is prudent (where possible) to allow a few seconds after syncing for everything to settle before e.g. turning off the power. It may also be desirable to use dkctl(8) or scsictl(8) to disable the write-back cache entirely. SEE ALSO
fsync(2), dkctl(8), scsictl(8), sync(8) HISTORY
A sync() function call appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. Historically, sync() would schedule buffers for writing but not actually wait for the writes to finish. It was necessary to issue a second or sometimes a third call to ensure that all buffers had in fact been written out. In NetBSD, sync() does not return until all buffers have been written. BSD
March 25, 2009 BSD