Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to insert a word into a text file? Post 302874565 by pallvi_mahajan on Friday 15th of November 2013 02:59:51 PM
Old 11-15-2013
so we can use 1 in place of print in awk or it is specified one

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert word in each line of a file

can someone tell me how can I insert a word in front of each line in a file. i tried with sed but didn't managed yet. Is there another command or this one(sed) works? 10x anyway. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: atticus
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file?

Greetings. I am struggling with a shell script to make my life simpler, with a number of practical ways in which it could be used. I want to take a standard text file, and pull the 'n'th word from each line such as the first word from a text file. I'm struggling to see how each line can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricky
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Text On file

Hi All, Can someone pls help me to insert some text on a file. my file contains something like below.. AKBULBU, BALUMIL, BATCH,BATCH BOARROB, BOTAKAT, C57896, CAKIOZE, CHECMER, CICOFRA, CISZPAW,2194485 I want output as USER_ID, LOGIN_ID (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert Text on lines having the string word

I need help on how I can accomplish my task. I hope someone can help me since I've researching and trying to accomplish this for hours now. Basically, I need to comment-out (or insert a # sign in the beginning of the line) a line when the line has the specific word I am searching. Example I have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orbix
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script find word from one file and insert in another file

Hi, I am new to shell scripting. I need a bash shell scripts which search and grep a parameter value from input.txt file and insert it in between two semicolon of second line of output.txt file. For example The shell script search an IP address as parameter value from input.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilkumarsinha
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text into empty file

I have an awk script to extract data from several files and create output in the following format as a csv file: xxxx 01/04/12 0001 0 When data is present, I have a file. When no data is available in the input files, I would still like to create a file that looks like this: xxxx... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: banjo25
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert value to db from text file

Hi, I have a single value in insertval file. I want to load that value to database with the current date. I tried the below code but it is inserting <NULL> to database and echo $c is also null. cat insertval | awk -F ' ' '{print $1}' > c echo c=$c data=`sqlplus -s user/pwd@hostname <<EOF ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neethu
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text within a file?

Hi, I am trying to check for missing dates in a file and would want to insert the missing date into the file. Currently the script is as below #!/bin/ksh dates="dates" cat ${dates} | grep -v "^#" curr_month=`date '+%m` curr_day=`date '+%d` curr_year=`date '+%Y` #curr_month=02... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies
STRSPLIT(3pub)						       C Programmer's Manual						    STRSPLIT(3pub)

NAME
strsplit - split string into words SYNOPSIS
#include <publib.h> int strsplit(char *src, char **words, int maxw, const char *sep); DESCRIPTION
strsplit splits the src string into words separated by one or more of the characters in sep (or by whitespace characters, as specified by isspace(3), if sep is the empty string). Pointers to the words are stored in successive elements in the array pointed to by words. No more than maxw pointers are stored. The input string is modifed by replacing the separator character following a word with ''. However, if there are more than maxw words, only maxw-1 words will be returned, and the maxwth pointer in the array will point to the rest of the string. If maxw is 0, no modification is done. This can be used for counting how many words there are, e.g., so that space for the word pointer table can be allocated dynamically. strsplit splits the src string into words separated by one or more of the characters in sep (or by whitespace characters, as defined by isspace(3), if sep is the empty string). The src string is modified by replacing the separator character after each word with ''. A pointer to each word is stored into successive elements of the array words. If there are more than maxw words, a '' is stored after the first maxw-1 words only, and the words[maxw-1] will contain a pointer to the rest of the string after the word in words[maxw-2]. RETURN VALUE
strsplit returns the total number of words in the input string. EXAMPLE
Assuming that words are separated by white space, to count the number of words on a line, one might say the following. n = strsplit(line, NULL, 0, ""); To print out the fields of a colon-separated list (such as PATH, or a line from /etc/passwd or /etc/group), one might do the following. char *fields[15]; int i, n; n = strsplit(list, fields, 15, ":"); if (n > 15) n = 15; for (i = 0; i < n; ++i) printf("field %d: %s ", i, fields[i]); In real life, one would of course prefer to not restrict the number of fields, so one might either allocated the pointer table dynamically (first counting the number of words using something like the first example), or realize that since it is the original string that is being modified, one can do the following: char *fields[15]; int i, n; do { n = strsplit(list, fields, 15, ":"); if (n > 15) n = 15; for (i = 0; i < n; ++i) printf("field %d: %s ", i, fields[i]); list = field[n-1] + strlen(field[n-1]); } while (n == 15); SEE ALSO
publib(3), strtok(3) AUTHOR
The idea for this function came from C-News source code by Henry Spencer and Geoff Collyer. Their function is very similar, but this implementation is by Lars Wirzenius (lars.wirzenius@helsinki.fi) Publib C Programmer's Manual STRSPLIT(3pub)