Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Total HDD size and count on Linux machine Post 302874157 by Corona688 on Thursday 14th of November 2013 10:30:12 AM
Old 11-14-2013
You need to be root to run fdisk, there's safer ways in modern Linux. You can run this as a normal user:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

BLOCKS=0

# The special /sys/ folder contains device information, not actual files.
for DEV in /sys/class/block/sd*
do
        [[ -f "$DEV/start" ]] && continue       # Skip partitions
        read B < $DEV/size                      # Read num of blocks
        read MODEL < $DEV/device/model          # Read model

printf "%-40s%15d blocks %5d GB\n" "$MODEL" "$B" $((B/(1024*1024*2) ))
        ((BLOCKS+=B))   # Add to total
done

printf "%-40s%15d blocks %5d GB\n" "total" "$BLOCKS" $((BLOCKS/(1024*1024*2)))

This also helps avoid picking up unintended things like software RAID devices.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bogus Total count

I have a shell script that I am pulling different zip file packages and totaling how many of each type of package is in the directory. I get a bogus total count of one in the middle of my output file (highlighted in RED) and not sure why, also would like to get a grand total of all files but not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freddie999
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

total size

I have a directory that contains files like aaa-2010-05-30.txt ddd-2010-05-30.txt www-2010-05-30.txt i have total 2000 files, i need to calculate total size of files for *2010-05-30.txt like aaa-2010-05-30.txt 200MB ddd-2010-05-30.txt 10GB www-2010-05-30.txt 4GB Total 14.2 GB... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total Count using AWK

Hi Everybody, I have the following example file... 199|TST-GURGAON|GURGAON|1 199|TST-GURGAON|GURGAON|1 199|TST-GURGAON|GURGAON|1 199|TST-GURGAON|GURGAON|1 199|TST-GURGAON|GURGAON|1 199|TST-GURGAON|GURGAON|1 199|TST-GURGAON|GURGAON|1 199|TST-GURGAON|GURGAON|1 199|TST-GURGAON|GURGAON|1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sraj142
8 Replies

5. Linux

Istallation Of PCLinuxOS 2009 Onto A HDD-less Machine...

I have no idea if this has been done before but I have an Acer Aspire One - NG5, 512MB RAM, netbook where the SSD failed and is now FIXED DISKLESS and unable to boot until now... ;o) It ran PCLinuxOS 2009 as its OS until the SDD failure... The method is a little long winded and does require a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

USB HDD not showing valid partition on one Solaris machine

Hi All, We have got a USB HDD with important data in it. The data has been copied to the disk(formatted ext3) via a LINUX system. The data was supposed to be copied to a second LINUX machine. Surprisingly, it doesn't show up any valid partitions in the new box. dmesg: usb1-3:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bikash Mishra
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to count total HDD size of disk?

Hi, I am trying to fetch total HDD size through command line on solaris machine: bash-3.2# iostat -E sd0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0 Vendor: VMware Product: Virtual disk Revision: 1.0 Serial No: Size: 42.95GB <42949672448 bytes> Media Error: 0 Device... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls directory size reporting byte size instead of file count

I have been searching both on Unix.com and Google and have not been able to find the answer to my question. I think it is partly because I can't come up with the right search terms. Recently, my virtual server switched storage devices and I think the problem may be related to that change.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count total duplicates

Hi all, I have found another post threads talking about count duplicate lines, but I am interested in obtain the total number of duplicates. For example: #file.txt a1 a2 a1 a3 a1 a2 a4 a5 #out 3 (lines are duplicates) Thank you! (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikloz
12 Replies
SYSINFO(2)                                                   Linux Programmer's Manual                                                  SYSINFO(2)

NAME
sysinfo - return system information SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/sysinfo.h> int sysinfo(struct sysinfo *info); DESCRIPTION
sysinfo() returns certain statistics on memory and swap usage, as well as the load average. Until Linux 2.3.16, sysinfo() returned information in the following structure: struct sysinfo { long uptime; /* Seconds since boot */ unsigned long loads[3]; /* 1, 5, and 15 minute load averages */ unsigned long totalram; /* Total usable main memory size */ unsigned long freeram; /* Available memory size */ unsigned long sharedram; /* Amount of shared memory */ unsigned long bufferram; /* Memory used by buffers */ unsigned long totalswap; /* Total swap space size */ unsigned long freeswap; /* Swap space still available */ unsigned short procs; /* Number of current processes */ char _f[22]; /* Pads structure to 64 bytes */ }; In the above structure, the sizes of the memory and swap fields are given in bytes. Since Linux 2.3.23 (i386) and Linux 2.3.48 (all architectures) the structure is: struct sysinfo { long uptime; /* Seconds since boot */ unsigned long loads[3]; /* 1, 5, and 15 minute load averages */ unsigned long totalram; /* Total usable main memory size */ unsigned long freeram; /* Available memory size */ unsigned long sharedram; /* Amount of shared memory */ unsigned long bufferram; /* Memory used by buffers */ unsigned long totalswap; /* Total swap space size */ unsigned long freeswap; /* Swap space still available */ unsigned short procs; /* Number of current processes */ unsigned long totalhigh; /* Total high memory size */ unsigned long freehigh; /* Available high memory size */ unsigned int mem_unit; /* Memory unit size in bytes */ char _f[20-2*sizeof(long)-sizeof(int)]; /* Padding to 64 bytes */ }; In the above structure, sizes of the memory and swap fields are given as multiples of mem_unit bytes. RETURN VALUE
On success, sysinfo() returns zero. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set to indicate the cause of the error. ERRORS
EFAULT info is not a valid address. VERSIONS
sysinfo() first appeared in Linux 0.98.pl6. CONFORMING TO
This function is Linux-specific, and should not be used in programs intended to be portable. NOTES
All of the information provided by this system call is also available via /proc/meminfo and /proc/loadavg. SEE ALSO
proc(5) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 SYSINFO(2)