Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String increment in UNIX
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String increment in UNIX Post 302874051 by fpmurphy on Thursday 14th of November 2013 01:47:33 AM
Old 11-14-2013
Code:
#!/bin/ksh93

function incstring
{
   src=$1

typeset -i len=${#src}
   max=$(( len - 1))

new=""
   typeset -i dec 
   carry=0

while ((len--))
   do
      last=${src:$len:1}
      dec=$(printf "%u" "'$last")
      (( dec != 32 )) && {
         (( len == max )) && (( dec++ ))
         (( carry == 1 )) && { (( dec++ )); carry=0; } 
         carry=0
         (( dec > 90 )) && { dec=65; carry=1; } 
      } 
      ascii=$(printf \\$(($dec/64*100+$dec%64/8*10+$dec%8)))
      new=${ascii}${new}
   done

echo $new
}

read str?"Source: "
read cnt?"Count: " 

for ((i=0; i < cnt; i++)) {
    str=$(incstring "$str")
    echo $str
}

This User Gave Thanks to fpmurphy For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i increment characters in unix.. ?

hi.. i am having some 3 files : ka, kb, kc i want to use these set of files in my script... how can i do that ? like first it should process "ka" .. then "kb".. then "kc" ... thanks, Krips. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

increment numbers in several parts of a string

I know how to do produce this: string01 string02 string03 several different ways. But how do I do produce this (without getting lost in recursion): string01morestring100yetmore10 string02morestring101yetmore20 string03morestring102yetmore30 ...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

increment operators in unix

increment operators in unix (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratima.kumari
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script: Str(007) to int(7),increment it(8) & convert back to string(008)

Hi, I have the following requirement. There will be following text/line in a file (eg: search-build.txt) PRODUCT_VERSION="V:01.002.007.Build1234" I need to update the incremental build number (eg here 007) every time I give a build through script. I am able to search the string and get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drwatson_droid
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment a variable in unix bash

Hello There, I have been trying to increment the value of variable to 1, 2, 3 etc. but, it displays 1 1+1 1+1+1 ..... :wall: Could anyone help out with this? for i in *.* do s=`expr $s+1` echo $s j=$i$j mv $i $j done Any help is appreciated? (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: amrutha0303
24 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut the particular string and increment the rows?

Hi am using unix aix I have tried using awk but am getting only output = x ,its not incrementing next output set -A var1 vv qa za ct=0 i=3 while do var1=`echo ${var1}` count=`awk ' NR==$i++ {print;exit}' ${.txt} | cut -c5 ` echo $count let ct=ct+1 done (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to increment a string variable?

Hi All, I am new to this forum and a novice at shell script. I am trying to write a script to determine each of the NIC configured on a linux system and its speed and Duplex. I came up with the following piece of code: echo `ifconfig -a | grep eth > /home/a/nic.txt` i=`awk -F, '{print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pravin883
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and increment at each occurence of string (loop)

I created script (sh shell) to generate vlc playlist based on some data files. All works fine so far except one string I do not know how to handle with. VLCSTART='<vlc:id>' VLCV=0 VLCEND='</vlc:id>' echo -e $'\n'$'\t'$'\t'$'\t'$'\t'\$VLCSTART$VLCV$VLCENDOutput file contains several occurences... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiedCone
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and increment value in string of hex

I have a long string of hex (from ASN.1 data) where I need to find and change a particular hex value only and increment it. The hex pairs either side (84 and a7) of the value to increment will remain constant. i.e. "84 <length> <value_to_increment> a7" starting with 00. So end result: ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: securegooner
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search partial string in a file and replace the string - UNIX

I have the below string which i need to compare with a file and replace this string in the file which matches closely. Can anyone help me on this. string(Scenario 1)- user::r--,user::ourfrd:r-- String(Scenario 2)- user::r-- File **** # file: /local/Desktop/myfile # owner: me # group:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
6 Replies
XmScrollBarGetValues(library call)										XmScrollBarGetValues(library call)

NAME
XmScrollBarGetValues -- A ScrollBar function that returns the ScrollBar's increment values SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/ScrollBar.h> void XmScrollBarGetValues (widget, value_return, slider_size_return, increment_return, page_increment_return) Widget widget; int * value_return; int * slider_size_return; int * increment_return; int * page_increment_return; (void) DESCRIPTION
XmScrollBarGetValues returns the the ScrollBar's increment values. The scroll region is overlaid with a slider bar that is adjusted in size and position using the main ScrollBar or set slider function attributes. widget Specifies the ScrollBar widget ID. value_return Returns the ScrollBar's slider position between the XmNminimum and XmNmaximum resources. Specify NULL to prevent the return of a particular value. slider_size_return Returns the size of the slider as a value between 0 (zero) and the absolute value of XmNmaximum minus XmNminimum. The size of the slider varies, depending on how much of the slider scroll area it represents. increment_return Returns the amount of increment and decrement. page_increment_return Returns the amount of page increment and decrement. For a complete definition of ScrollBar and its associated resources, see XmScrollBar(3). RETURN
Returns the ScrollBar's increment values. RELATED
XmScrollBar(3). XmScrollBarGetValues(library call)