Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SAN DISK raid level in AIX
Operating Systems AIX SAN DISK raid level in AIX Post 302873765 by bakunin on Wednesday 13th of November 2013 05:03:31 AM
Old 11-13-2013
I am not sure if i understand you correctly. If you mean that you want to see the underlying RAIDs from within the system the LUN is attached to: no, you can't. You can't because these are different logical levels of abstraction.

For the system where the LUN is attached to a "disk" is a disk, regardless from what hardware it is constructed. Virtually, the Clariion exports a (vSCSI) disk simply not telling the target system from what it is made of. The target system connects to this disk using a (virtualized) SCSI protocol. Basically, the traget system treats the disk like it would be a locally connected SCSI drive, not caring for what is "underneath" this abstraction.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

RAID level of array = false?

I created a RAID 5 array and when I list out the attributes of the "hdisk" it reports back raid_level = 5 but the RAID level of the array = false. What does this actually indicate about my array? I've never paid much attention to this until now since I have a disk reporting failure I want to make... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottsl
0 Replies

2. AIX

AIX disk less with SAN

Hi All, I have mirrored SAN volume on my B80 rootvg. Can I just remove the mirror and "Remove a P V from a V G" and it will be a diskless AIX? Is that going to boot on SAN rootvg volume? Thanks in advance, itik (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
3 Replies

3. AIX

AIX 5.2/5.3 - rootvg on SAN disk - pros and cons

We are considering a DR strategy of booting AIX 5.3 and 5.3 logical partitions from EMC Symmetrix SAN disks, so that we can replicate via SRDF to a recovery site. Has anyone tried configuring AIX 5.x systems to boot from SAN disk? If so, can you provide any information on the pros and cons of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjgarrot
6 Replies

4. AIX

IBM FastT600 SAN - RAID 5 Storage Manager Client v08.33.G5.03 - Recovery?

To summarize the problem: The "IBM FastT Storage Manager Client v8" shows that our Disk Farm is arranged into 6 logical drives each in a RAID 5 configuration. This software also shows that 5 of the 6 logical drives (from Disk Farm) are in a error state: "Failed Logical Drive - Drive Failure".... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aix-olympics
1 Replies

5. AIX

How to upgrade AIX Firmware & TL Maintenance Level in AIX

Steps to upgrade AIX TL ( technology Level ) / Maintenance Level in AIX ( including Firmware HMC VIOS ) This article or post covers upgrades for - Hardware Management Console ( HMC ) - Firmware ( also known as microcode ) - VIO ( Virtual I/O Server = PowerVM ) - AIX Version, Technology... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies

6. Solaris

I/O Error on SAN Disk

Hi, I have a production solaris 10 SPARC system (portal). Yesterday legato/Networker gave an I/O Error on one of the files on its SAN mounted disk. I went to that particular file on the system, did an ls and it showed the file. However, ls -l did not work and it said IO error. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
6 Replies

7. AIX

SCSI PCI - X RAID Controller card RAID 5 AIX Disks disappeared

Hello, I have a scsi pci x raid controller card on which I had created a disk array of 3 disks when I type lspv ; I used to see 3 physical disks ( two local disks and one raid 5 disk ) suddenly the raid 5 disk array disappeared ; so the hardware engineer thought the problem was with SCSI... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

8. AIX

raid level

Hi Admins, What is the command to check the RAID level in aix 5.3 I have a vg with 5 disks.I want to check the raid level. Regards newaix (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newaix
1 Replies

9. AIX

SAN Disk Appearing double in AIX

Hello Folks, I have directly connected my IBM Pseries AIX machine to SAN Storage I have a dual port Fibre Channel Adapter Connected both fiber ports to SAN Box IBM DS4500 Controller A & Controller B Using IBM DS storage manager client 10 -- created one logical disk and assigned to a... (18 Replies)
18 Replies

10. AIX

San disk appearing double in old AIX

Hi guys, :) I'm a studient in IT field (AIX) I'm trying to map a LUN from a SAN (DS3400) to an AIX server (5300-04-00) I know there is no MPIO on this version of AIX, and i see double my LUN from the SAN root@localhost # lscfg | grep hdisk + hdisk7 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tharsan
13 Replies
SCSI(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   SCSI(4)

Name
       SCSI - Small Computer System Interconnect

Description
       The  ULTRIX  system interfaces to disk and tape devices through the Small Computer System Interconnect (SCSI).  Initial ULTRIX SCSI support
       is limited to the Digital-supplied mass storage devices.  The following devices are fully supported on the ULTRIX system:

o    Winchester disks: RZ22, RZ23, RZ23L, RZ24, RZ55, RZ56, RZ57, RX23, RX26, RX33

o    Magnetic tapes: TZ30, TZK50, TLZ04, TSZ05, TKZ08, TZK10

o    Optical disks: RRD40, RRD42

Under the ULTRIX operating system, a SCSI device is referred to by its logical name.  Logical names take the following form:
       nn#
       The nn argument is the two-character name; the number sign (#) represents the unit number.  The two character names for SCSI devices are:

rz  -  RZ22, RZ23, RZ23L, RZ24, RZ55, RZ56, RZ57, RX23, RX26, RX33, RRD40, RRD42 disks

tz  -  TZ30, TZK50, TLZ04, TSZ05, TKZ08, and TZK10 tapes

The unit number is a combination of the SCSI bus number, either 0, 1, ... and the device's target ID number.   The  unit  number  is  eight
       times  the  bus	number plus the target ID.  For example, an RZ23 disk at target ID 3 on bus 0 would be referred to as rz3; a TZK50 tape at
       target ID 5 on the second SCSI bus would be referred to as 13.

The SCSI bus has eight possible target device IDs.  By default, one is allocated to the system.	This allows for a maximum of seven  target
       devices connected to a SCSI bus.

Restrictions
       The ULTRIX SCSI device driver does not operate with optical disks, other than the Digital-supplied devices.

The SCSI driver attempts to support on a best effort basis, non-Digital-supplied winchester disks and magnetic tapes.

The following notes apply to the driver's handling of non-Digital-supplied disks:

o   These disks are assigned a device type of RZxx, instead of RZ22, RZ23, RZ23L, RZ55, RZ56, RZ57, RX23, RX26, or RX33.  The RZxx disks
	      follow the same logical device naming scheme as the Digital-supplied disks.

o   During the autoconfigure phase of the system startup, the driver prints the contents of the SCSI vendor  ID,  product  ID,  and  the
	      revision level fields of the inquiry data return by the SCSI device.

o   RZxx  disks  are	assigned a default partition table. The default table can be modified by editing the sz_rzxx_sizes[8] entry in the
	      file The utility can also be used to modify the partition table on a RZxx disk.

o   The only logical unit number (LUN) supported for each target ID is 0.

See Also
       rz(4), tz(4), chpt(8)

SCSI(4)