Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script? Post 302873695 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 12th of November 2013 07:06:15 PM
Old 11-12-2013
I haven't found file I/O to be flaky in expect, but I must admit I only really use expect to test solutions posted in the forum. I find it a bit of a hacking tool and would prefer to use passwordless ssh for my own work.

The below script should open the server_list file, connect to each server run the configured command ("multibos -S" in this case) and log the output to a file name config_details with a "hostname:" prefix.

Also note: I'm using telnet in this script and you may want ssh or some other command.

Uncomment the log_user 0 line to suppress output once you have finished debugging.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/expect -f
set timeout 2
set u "souvikm"
set p "passw0rd"
set command "multibos -S"

set hosts [open server_list r]
set config [open config_details w]

#log_user 0

while {[gets $hosts host] >= 0} {
    spawn -noecho telnet $host
    expect "*User_ID*"
    send -- "$u\r"
    expect "?assword*"
    send -- "$p\r"
    send "PS1='PROMPT# '\r"
    expect -re "PROMPT# '(.*)PROMPT# "
    send "$command\r"
    expect -re "\r\n(.*)\r\n(.*)PROMPT# "
    set output $expect_out(1,string)
    puts $config "$host: $output\r"
    send "exit\r"
    expect eof
}
close $hosts
close $config

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 02-25-2017 at 02:26 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script & sqlplus "plzz help"

hi friends, i m tryin to load data from one set of table to other i have sql procedure al ready for it..! i m going to load the procedure only if data in one of my table for example table "landing " have 10 records each attribute of this table is file_name status date ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kulbir
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include RETURN KEY with Background process "&" in Shell Script

Hello All, I am a newbie in Shell script programming, and maybe you can help me with my query. I need to write a shell script (mntServer.ksh) that will start a background process and also to be able to run another script. The mntServer.ksh script contains: #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: racbern
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh through "expect" in shell script

Hi, I am trying to use "Expect" in shell script to ssh and do some work in remote server but I am unable to connect. Here is the code I am using. #save as test.sh set ip "10.10.10.10" set username "uname" set password "upass" spawn ssh $username@$ip expect "Password:" send... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
8 Replies

4. Red Hat

files having Script which works behind "who" & "w" commands

Dear All, plz print the path of files which have the script of "who" & "w" commands. thnx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing username and password to a script running inside "expect" script

Hi I'm trying to run a script " abc.sh" which triggers "use.sh" . abc.sh is nothing but a "expect" script which provides username and password automatically to the use.sh script. Please find below the scripts: #abc.sh #!/usr/bin/expect -f exec /root/use.sh expect "*name*" send... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baddykam
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l"

I need a shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l -u <username>" & "cat /etc/rc.local" & "df -h" and able to create output into a file saved locally with hostname.crontab & hostname.rc.local & disk.status. I can supply a file as list of hostname or IP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaipsharma
4 Replies

7. AIX

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass password to "su account" in script?

Hi, I need to run a test script to check all test accounts, is it possible to pass the password to su in following command? I've got following error: $ echo "${password}" | su ${test_account} -c "check_account.sh" standard in must be a tty Thank you. - j (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone please show me a very simple "expect" script to change password in Solaris please?

Ladies & Gents, Can one of you gurus please show me a very simple "expect" script to change the password in Solaris in a script, please? Nothing fancy, no error checking, no nothing. Just to change the password of a new user, it's all. Many thanks in advance. U guys have honestly earned my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies
SEND-UUCP(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SEND-UUCP(8)

NAME
send-nntp, send-ihave - send Usenet articles to remote site SYNOPSIS
send-nntp [ -d ] sitename:hostname | sitename [ sitename:hostname | sitename .. ] send-ihave [ -d ] sitename:hostname | sitename [ sitename:hostname | sitename .. ] DESCRIPTION
The send-* utilities are scripts that process the batch files written by innd(8) to send Usenet articles to a remote NNTP site. The sites to be fed may be specified by giving sitename hostname pairs on the command line. The sitename is the label the site has in the newsfeeds file, the hostname is the real hostname of the remote site, a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name). Normally, the sitename and the hostname are the same, and as such don't have to be specified as sitename:hostname pairs but just as a sitename. send-nntp starts an innxmit to send the articles to the remote site. send-ihave encapsulates the articles in an ihave control message and uses inews to send the articles to a to.sitename pseudo-group. Using send-ihave is discouraged, nobody uses it anymore and even the author of this manpage is unsure as to how it actually works or used to work. send-* expect that the batchfile for a site is named <pathoutgoing in inn.conf>/sitename. To prevent batchfile corruption, shlock(1) is used to ``lock'' these files. OPTIONS
-d The ``-d'' flag causes nntpsend to send output to stdout rather than the log file <pathlog in inn.conf>/<program-name>.log. NOTES
You should probably not use send-nntp, but innfeed, or if that is not possible, nntpsend. The usual flags for a batch file for send-nntp are ``Tf,Wfm''. SEE ALSO
newsfeeds(5), nntpsend(8) SEND-UUCP(8)