Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Account lockout
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Account lockout Post 302873675 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 12th of November 2013 03:30:38 PM
Old 11-12-2013
I have seen that with a non-RedHat sshd.
Try onerr=success.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lockout Users

I am using AIx 4.3.3 and was wondering what the command was to keep users from logging in. I want to be able to do maintenance and keep the users out. Can anyone help? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgillett
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root lockout

Hi, I am extremely new to UNIX and was recently promoted to administer the system for a small company. Anyhow, the time came for passwords to change, and I made the huge mistake of entering in the command (as root) passwd -l After logging out (oblivious to what would happen next), the root... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbieadmin
4 Replies

3. AIX

user lockout...

Hi, We are using 4.3.3.0 and I would like to make a global change to the "number of failed logins before user account is locked" Any ideas, other than using SMIT one user at a time.... ??? Thanks... Craig. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stumpy
2 Replies

4. AIX

lockout su for 1 user

I want to know if there is any easy way of stopping 1 user from using su? perferabily any su but I can make do with not allow him to su to root but allow other user to su to root. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Account lockout policy

Hi all; I m using Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.1 (Tikanga) and I'm trying to setup password lockout policy so that a user account locks out after 3 failed attempts. Here are the entires of my /etc/pam.d/system-auth #%PAM-1.0 # This file is auto-generated. # User changes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
1 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Account lockout using Openldap

What is the best way to implement account lockout in openldap? I have an openldap server with Ubuntu desktop client connecting to it for authentication. I want he accounts to locked out after say 5 failed authentication attempts I have enabled ppolicy layout in slapd.conf. overlay ppolicy... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin09
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Account Lockout on Redhat

On a redhat linux 4 server, how to find if there is an account lockout duration is set. Is it configured under pam or /etc/shadow? what entries I need to find out? Is it pam_time.so module? I desperately need an answer because on one of the servers, no one was able to login through any account... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Secman lockout

Greetings, I work with a Solaris Sun Server V240 system (GCCS) and have run into a problem where I can't seem to unlock my SECMAN account at the NON-GLOBAL level. I have access to all global accounts to include sysadmin and secman. I have access to the non-global sysadmin account and root... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TLAMGUY
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

RHEL4.8 no notification on PAM lockout

Good day. I have setup hardening the password (test system so far) prior to doing any work on production. Here is what I have set. Snippet from /etc/pam.d/system-auth auth required /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so auth required /lib/security/$ISA/pam_tally.so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smurphy_it
3 Replies
PAM_LISTFILE(8) 						 Linux-PAM Manual						   PAM_LISTFILE(8)

NAME
pam_listfile - deny or allow services based on an arbitrary file SYNOPSIS
pam_listfile.so item=[tty|user|rhost|ruser|group|shell] sense=[allow|deny] file=/path/filename onerr=[succeed|fail] [apply=[user|@group]] [quiet] DESCRIPTION
pam_listfile is a PAM module which provides a way to deny or allow services based on an arbitrary file. The module gets the item of the type specified -- user specifies the username, PAM_USER; tty specifies the name of the terminal over which the request has been made, PAM_TTY; rhost specifies the name of the remote host (if any) from which the request was made, PAM_RHOST; and ruser specifies the name of the remote user (if available) who made the request, PAM_RUSER -- and looks for an instance of that item in the file=filename. filename contains one line per item listed. If the item is found, then if sense=allow, PAM_SUCCESS is returned, causing the authorization request to succeed; else if sense=deny, PAM_AUTH_ERR is returned, causing the authorization request to fail. If an error is encountered (for instance, if filename does not exist, or a poorly-constructed argument is encountered), then if onerr=succeed, PAM_SUCCESS is returned, otherwise if onerr=fail, PAM_AUTH_ERR or PAM_SERVICE_ERR (as appropriate) will be returned. An additional argument, apply=, can be used to restrict the application of the above to a specific user (apply=username) or a given group (apply=@groupname). This added restriction is only meaningful when used with the tty, rhost and shell items. Besides this last one, all arguments should be specified; do not count on any default behavior. No credentials are awarded by this module. OPTIONS
item=[tty|user|rhost|ruser|group|shell] What is listed in the file and should be checked for. sense=[allow|deny] Action to take if found in file, if the item is NOT found in the file, then the opposite action is requested. file=/path/filename File containing one item per line. The file needs to be a plain file and not world writable. onerr=[succeed|fail] What to do if something weird happens like being unable to open the file. apply=[user|@group] Restrict the user class for which the restriction apply. Note that with item=[user|ruser|group] this does not make sense, but for item=[tty|rhost|shell] it have a meaning. quiet Do not treat service refusals or missing list files as errors that need to be logged. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
All module types (auth, account, password and session) are provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_AUTH_ERR Authentication failure. PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_IGNORE The rule does not apply to the apply option. PAM_SERVICE_ERR Error in service module. PAM_SUCCESS Success. EXAMPLES
Classic 'ftpusers' authentication can be implemented with this entry in /etc/pam.d/ftpd: # # deny ftp-access to users listed in the /etc/ftpusers file # auth required pam_listfile.so onerr=succeed item=user sense=deny file=/etc/ftpusers Note, users listed in /etc/ftpusers file are (counterintuitively) not allowed access to the ftp service. To allow login access only for certain users, you can use a /etc/pam.d/login entry like this: # # permit login to users listed in /etc/loginusers # auth required pam_listfile.so onerr=fail item=user sense=allow file=/etc/loginusers For this example to work, all users who are allowed to use the login service should be listed in the file /etc/loginusers. Unless you are explicitly trying to lock out root, make sure that when you do this, you leave a way for root to log in, either by listing root in /etc/loginusers, or by listing a user who is able to su to the root account. SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8) AUTHOR
pam_listfile was written by Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@redhat.com> and Elliot Lee <sopwith@cuc.edu>. Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 PAM_LISTFILE(8)