Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading ls -l output line by line awk the user name and su user to run commands Post 302873577 by zubairom on Tuesday 12th of November 2013 11:39:17 AM
Old 11-12-2013
IBM

Smilie Thanks Made in Germany and Carlos for your input... Now I understand what Carlos meant... Yes echoing the $line works ... That was confusing me as why the why loop goes into the awk subshell...you guys cleared that.

For this script I will use variables as suggested by Don as that is a simpler approach.

regarding the additional checks that you proposed </dev/null work fine but I run into some issues using -f option for su and the 'ticks'... With -f option for su it looks like I can't use -R for chmod(my original script did not have -R for chmod but now I added it) and I get

Code:
-R: 0403-010 A specified flag is not valid for this command.

With the 'ticks' looks like it can't resolve the variable(which is what i thought)

Code:
chmod: /saswork/sastemp/$sas_work_dir: A file or directory in the path name does not exist.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 11-12-2013 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Switch ICODE tags to CODE tags and remove extraneous spaces.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading ps command's output line by line

hi; as a pseudo; while read psLine do myFunc $psLine done < ps i don't want to redirect ps command's to a file. in fact, my problem is "how can i read stdout line by line in bash, sed, awk or any?" thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: s. murat
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How a normal user run a script including root privileaged commands

Dear all Ihave written a script in Hpux9.0, the ecript is working fine if I run it from root command prompt But when I am running it thru /etc/profile or /user/.profile and login as a normal user, the owner of the process running the script is the normal user & hence cant run a root privileaged... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: initin
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a file inside awk and processing line by line

Hi Sorry to multipost. I am opening the new thread because the earlier threads head was misleading to my current doubt. and i am stuck. list=`cat /u/Test/programs`; psg "ServTest" | awk -v listawk=$list '{ cmd_name=($5 ~ /^/)? $9:$8 for(pgmname in listawk) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anteus
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to take input from the user from the command line and execute commands basedon that?

Hi, I am using solaris 10 and bash shell.Script execution follows below.Initially it will check whether a directory exists or not if does not exist it will create it.(This I have completed) Second step:I have four users say user1,user2,user3,user4.Script should prompt for the user id and... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run a command line with another user without prompts for password

Hi, I'm writing a script, in the script I need to use tcpdump to capture some packets however it needs root priviledge my computer is configured by school and I have no real root priviledge so I can't use sudo on my computer,like Code: sudo tcpdump ...... I have to use a limited... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esolve
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run commands as root user

Hello I have a script which is working fine so far to generate HTML file. Now i am wondering how do i include a syntax where it can change itself to root user and execute a specific commands as root user. Please help, Thanks in advance. -Siddhesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
2 Replies

8. AIX

List of AIX commands that can be run by ROOT user ONLY

Hello, I am testing sudo and I want to test it. Can anyone please let me know few commands (of course other than shutdown, reboot etc. as I can't reboot the box) on AIX that can be run by ROOT only. Thanks ---------- Post updated at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 PM... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

How capture all user command line output?

Hi I want to know how capture all user command line output and save this commands and outputs to text files? if you have script for this subject please give me.:o please help me thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amvhd
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get an output of lines in pattern 1st line then 10th line then 11th line then 20th line and so on.

Input file: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sagar Singh
6 Replies
Text::DHCPLeases::Object::Iterator(3pm) 		User Contributed Perl Documentation		   Text::DHCPLeases::Object::Iterator(3pm)

NAME
Text::DHCPLeases::Object::Iterator - Lease object iterator class SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
AUTHOR
Carlos Vicente, <cvicente@cpan.org> LICENCE AND COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007-2010, Carlos Vicente <cvicente@cpan.org>. All rights reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See perlartistic. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY
BECAUSE THIS SOFTWARE IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE SOFTWARE, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE SOFTWARE "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE SOFTWARE PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR, OR CORRECTION. IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MODIFY AND/OR REDISTRIBUTE THE SOFTWARE AS PERMITTED BY THE ABOVE LICENCE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE SOFTWARE TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER SOFTWARE), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. perl v5.10.0 2009-08-12 Text::DHCPLeases::Object::Iterator(3pm)