Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script? Post 302873415 by thisissouvik on Tuesday 12th of November 2013 05:14:09 AM
Old 11-12-2013
Hello in2nix,

Your basic expect based script did the ground work for me - could login to any server passing the hostname to parameter "h", so this is how my little modified script looks now:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/expect -f
#
#

# set credentials
set u "msouvik"
set p "pass^123"

# get host name from command-line
# set h "my_desired_server"

# set the command to run
set cmd "echo Hello Souvik!  >> /export/home/msouvik/echo.out"

# spawn a connection to the host and run the given command
spawn -noecho ssh -t $u@$h $cmd

# handle the password prompt
expect "?assword:*"
send -- "$p\r"
send -- "\r"

# done
expect eof

I could not manage to pass multiple server names to this expect script, the methods I tried --

1. Called this expect script from an external "for" & "while" loop -- got an obvious error of parameter "h" not found:
Code:
for h in `cat my_server_list`
do
<Path of above written expect script>
done

2. Added a "for" loop within the above expect script:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/expect -f
#
#
for h in `cat my_server_list`
do

# set credentials
set u "msouvik"
set p "pass^123"

# get host name from command-line
# set h ""

# set the command to run
set cmd "echo Hello Souvik!  >> /export/home/msouvik/echo.out"

# spawn a connection to the host and run the given command
spawn -noecho ssh -t $u@$h $cmd

# handle the password prompt
expect "?assword:*"
send -- "$p\r"
send -- "\r"

# done
expect eof

done

That failed since it couldn't understand expect syntaxe(s) within the for loop.

Please further suggest!

-- Souvik

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script & sqlplus "plzz help"

hi friends, i m tryin to load data from one set of table to other i have sql procedure al ready for it..! i m going to load the procedure only if data in one of my table for example table "landing " have 10 records each attribute of this table is file_name status date ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kulbir
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include RETURN KEY with Background process "&" in Shell Script

Hello All, I am a newbie in Shell script programming, and maybe you can help me with my query. I need to write a shell script (mntServer.ksh) that will start a background process and also to be able to run another script. The mntServer.ksh script contains: #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: racbern
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh through "expect" in shell script

Hi, I am trying to use "Expect" in shell script to ssh and do some work in remote server but I am unable to connect. Here is the code I am using. #save as test.sh set ip "10.10.10.10" set username "uname" set password "upass" spawn ssh $username@$ip expect "Password:" send... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
8 Replies

4. Red Hat

files having Script which works behind "who" & "w" commands

Dear All, plz print the path of files which have the script of "who" & "w" commands. thnx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing username and password to a script running inside "expect" script

Hi I'm trying to run a script " abc.sh" which triggers "use.sh" . abc.sh is nothing but a "expect" script which provides username and password automatically to the use.sh script. Please find below the scripts: #abc.sh #!/usr/bin/expect -f exec /root/use.sh expect "*name*" send... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baddykam
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l"

I need a shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l -u <username>" & "cat /etc/rc.local" & "df -h" and able to create output into a file saved locally with hostname.crontab & hostname.rc.local & disk.status. I can supply a file as list of hostname or IP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaipsharma
4 Replies

7. AIX

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass password to "su account" in script?

Hi, I need to run a test script to check all test accounts, is it possible to pass the password to su in following command? I've got following error: $ echo "${password}" | su ${test_account} -c "check_account.sh" standard in must be a tty Thank you. - j (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone please show me a very simple "expect" script to change password in Solaris please?

Ladies & Gents, Can one of you gurus please show me a very simple "expect" script to change the password in Solaris in a script, please? Nothing fancy, no error checking, no nothing. Just to change the password of a new user, it's all. Many thanks in advance. U guys have honestly earned my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies
EXPECT_EXPECTL(3)							 1							 EXPECT_EXPECTL(3)

expect_expectl - Waits until the output from a process matches one of the patterns, a specified time period has passed, or anEOFis seen

SYNOPSIS
int expect_expectl (resource $expect, array $cases, [array &$match]) DESCRIPTION
Waits until the output from a process matches one of the patterns, a specified time period has passed, or an EOF is seen. If $match is provided, then it is filled with the result of search. The matched string can be found in $match[0]. The match substrings (according to the parentheses) in the original pattern can be found in $match[1], $match[2], and so on, up to $match[9] (the limitation of libexpect). PARAMETERS
o $expect - An Expect stream, previously opened with expect_popen(3). o $cases - An array of expect cases. Each expect case is an indexed array, as described in the following table: Expect Case Array +----------+--------------------------+---+---+---+ |Index Key | | | | | | | | | | | | | Value Type | | | | | | | | | | | | Description | | | | | | | | | | | | Is Mandatory | | | | | | | | | | | | Default Value | | | | | | | | | | +----------+--------------------------+---+---+---+ | 0 | | | | | | | | | | | | | string | | | | | | | | | | | | pattern, that will be | | | | | | matched against the out- | | | | | | put from the stream | | | | | | | | | | | | yes | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | T{ 1 | | | | | | | | | | | | mixed | | | | | | | | | | | | value, that will be | | | | | | returned by this func- | | | | | | tion, if the pattern | | | | | | matches | | | | | | | | | | | | yes | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | T{ 2 | | | | | | | | | | | | integer | | | | | | | | | | | | pattern type, one of: | | | | | | EXP_GLOB, EXP_EXACT or | | | | | | EXP_REGEXP | | | | | | | | | | | | no | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | EXP_GLOB | | | | | | | | | | +----------+--------------------------+---+---+---+ RETURN VALUES
Returns value associated with the pattern that was matched. On failure this function returns: EXP_EOF, EXP_TIMEOUT or EXP_FULLBUFFER CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 0.2.1 | | | | | | | Prior to version 0.2.1, in $match parameter a | | | match string was returned, not an array of match | | | substrings. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 expect_expectl(3) example <?php // Copies file from remote host: ini_set("expect.timeout", 30); $stream = fopen("expect://scp user@remotehost:/var/log/messages /home/user/messages.txt", "r"); $cases = array( // array(pattern, value to return if pattern matched) array("password:", "asked for password"), array("yes/no)?", "asked for yes/no") ); while (true) { switch (expect_expectl($stream, $cases)) { case "asked for password": fwrite($stream, "my password "); break; case "asked for yes/no": fwrite($stream, "yes "); break; case EXP_TIMEOUT: case EXP_EOF: break 2; // break both the switch statement and the while loop default: die "Error has occurred!"; } } fclose($stream); ?> SEE ALSO
expect_popen(3). PHP Documentation Group EXPECT_EXPECTL(3)