Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File grep quick query
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File grep quick query Post 302873273 by Don Cragun on Monday 11th of November 2013 03:01:28 PM
Old 11-11-2013
As I said before: "Without knowing more about what your data looks like (both pattern.cfg and trace.log) and what output you want, we can only make wild guesses about what you're trying to do." You have now shown us a sample pattern.cfg file. Please show us a sample trace.log file and the output that you want to be produced as a result of processing those two sample input files.

Note that the:
Code:
 while read string
 do
 pattern=$(grep "$string" $LOG.TMP)
 echo "pattern" >> pattern.stg
 done

in your script does not specify a file from which "string"s will be read. So this script will wait for you to type in strings (without prompts) while it is running. Did you intend to redirect input to this loop from pattern.cfg? (Once you show us a complete set of input files and your desired output, this point might not matter; but as it currently stands, we just don't know what output you are trying to produce.)
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick Grep question

Is it possible to grep for two words at once? I want to grep for the words SEVERE or FATAL. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ssmiths001
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick question on grep: grabbing lines above and below

Just a quick question on grep/egrep. I am writing a shell script that is looking for certain strings in a text file. It works well and gets exactly what I need. However, the way the program writes to the text file, it puts the timestamp in a line above the string I am looking for and the path... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecoffeeguy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query regarding grep

In what cases the following command ignores lines in input file: $ grep -c "^" inputfile (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amicon007
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep query

As part of my never-ending nagios automation project I am need to implement the following run line into a loop; -bash-3.00$ grep ${feed} /usr/local/feed/service/clients/*/bin/* | awk -F/ '{print "To restart: /"$2"/"$3"/"$4"/"$5"/"$6"/"$7"/"$8"/"$9}' Which prints to screen; To restart:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
3 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

ls grep query

Hi please can someone help me with a query? The following command is executed: $ ls abc def hij You execute the command: ls | grep f*. Which files will be displayed and why? thanks (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmn0004676
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to execute Oracle query taking input from a file to form query

Hi, I need to query Oracle database for 100 users. I have these 100 users in a file. I need a shell script which would read this User file (one user at a time) & query database. For instance: USER CITY --------- ---------- A CITY_A B CITY_B C ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevendraG
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

A quick query

Hello All, i am facing an issue and could not understand the possible reason... When the following command is executed from command line (from # prompt) the output is as desired but executing the same from a shell script, the result is an error. It is important for the command to execute in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Quick question]Problem with execl and GREP

Guys, I have the following code #include <fcntl.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> #include <sys/wait.h> #include <unistd.h> void read2(); main(int argc, char** argv) { int pid,status; pid=fork(); if ( pid == 0 ) { read2(argv,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pfpietro
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick help on grep -w please

Hello Experts, Here is my problem.. cat abc.txt 1,"nathan available" 2,"MW nathan available" 3,"HW nathan available" How can i grep for "nathan available" alone. I tried grep -w "nathan available" Problem is that the pattern is enclosed in Quotes " ". I know we can do grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
2 Replies
CG(1)																	     CG(1)

NAME
cg - Recursively grep for a pattern and store it. SYNOPSIS
cg [ -l ] | [ [ -i ] pattern [ files ] ] DESCRIPTION
cg does a search though text files (usually source code) recursively for a pattern, storing matches and displaying the output in a human- readable fashion. It is intended to give some of the functionaly of AT&T's cscope(1) tool, with the advantages of simplicity and not being language-specific. The script will colorize output if configured as such. It is typically run with a Perl regular expression to search for. The search can be made case insensitive by using the -i option. A list of files may also be specified with an additional argument after the pattern. Put the files pattern in quotes to make it be matched by Perl rather than by the shell. Running the script with no arguments will recall the results of the previous search. After the search, entries found can be edited using the vg(1) script. The -l option shows the last log made. SOME EXAMPLES
cg - alone recalls the previous search results. cg -i pattern - search the default list of files for all files matching the pattern (and case-insensitively). cg pattern '*.c' - search recursively for pattern in all *.c files. This automatically converts '*' to '.*' and '.' to '.' for you and does a Perl pattern match on all files in the tree. cg pattern *.c - search through the shell-expanded list of *.c files, so not done recursively (in other words, only the files your shell pass to the script as arguments). cg -l - show the last log made. COMMAND-LINE OPTIONS -i Do a case-insensitive search. -l Show the last log made. -p Toggle the default pager option. cg has a bulit-in pager function, which can be enabled or disabled by default (in .cgvgrc). If the default is enabled, this option disables the pager; if the default is disabled, this option enables it. -P Force the built-in pager to be disabled. FILES
${HOME}/.cglast Log file of the last search. ${HOME}/.cgvgrc Per-user configuration file (if the defaults are not desireable). ${HOME}/.cgvg/* Log files in $HOSTNAME.shell_pid form with the log of the last search. SEE ALSO
vg(1), perl(1), find(1), grep(1), cscope(1) AUTHOR
cg was written by Joshua Uziel <uzi@uzix.org>. 13 Mar 2002 CG(1)