Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script? Post 302873145 by thisissouvik on Monday 11th of November 2013 08:35:36 AM
Old 11-11-2013
How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends,

Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script:

> For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details <

I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple shell script, but unfortunately I'm not able to get one to work as required. Below is what I could manage to write without expected results:

Code:
cat server_list  
server1 
server2 
server3 

Code:
cat for_loop.sh  
for i in `cat server_list` 
do 
multibos -S 
done

Code:
cat expect_script.sh  

spawn /$HOME/for_loop.sh  
expect "*User_ID*" 
send "souvikm\r" 
expect "*Password*" 
send "passw0rd\r" 
expect eof

Code:
$> ./expect_script.sh

Running the above written expect script doesn't solve my purpose - it does nothing Smilie Could someone help me rectify this script or help me with a better idea?

-- Souvik

Last edited by thisissouvik; 11-11-2013 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: Reorganizing!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script & sqlplus "plzz help"

hi friends, i m tryin to load data from one set of table to other i have sql procedure al ready for it..! i m going to load the procedure only if data in one of my table for example table "landing " have 10 records each attribute of this table is file_name status date ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kulbir
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include RETURN KEY with Background process "&" in Shell Script

Hello All, I am a newbie in Shell script programming, and maybe you can help me with my query. I need to write a shell script (mntServer.ksh) that will start a background process and also to be able to run another script. The mntServer.ksh script contains: #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: racbern
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh through "expect" in shell script

Hi, I am trying to use "Expect" in shell script to ssh and do some work in remote server but I am unable to connect. Here is the code I am using. #save as test.sh set ip "10.10.10.10" set username "uname" set password "upass" spawn ssh $username@$ip expect "Password:" send... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
8 Replies

4. Red Hat

files having Script which works behind "who" & "w" commands

Dear All, plz print the path of files which have the script of "who" & "w" commands. thnx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing username and password to a script running inside "expect" script

Hi I'm trying to run a script " abc.sh" which triggers "use.sh" . abc.sh is nothing but a "expect" script which provides username and password automatically to the use.sh script. Please find below the scripts: #abc.sh #!/usr/bin/expect -f exec /root/use.sh expect "*name*" send... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baddykam
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l"

I need a shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l -u <username>" & "cat /etc/rc.local" & "df -h" and able to create output into a file saved locally with hostname.crontab & hostname.rc.local & disk.status. I can supply a file as list of hostname or IP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaipsharma
4 Replies

7. AIX

How to use 'expect' to pass UID & Password to a "for loop" in shell script?

Friends, Need someone's help in helping me with the below requirement for a script: > For a list of servers(over 100+), I need to login into each of them(cannot configure password-less ssh) & grab few configuration details < I know, this is possible through expect programming in a simple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass password to "su account" in script?

Hi, I need to run a test script to check all test accounts, is it possible to pass the password to su in following command? I've got following error: $ echo "${password}" | su ${test_account} -c "check_account.sh" standard in must be a tty Thank you. - j (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone please show me a very simple "expect" script to change password in Solaris please?

Ladies & Gents, Can one of you gurus please show me a very simple "expect" script to change the password in Solaris in a script, please? Nothing fancy, no error checking, no nothing. Just to change the password of a new user, it's all. Many thanks in advance. U guys have honestly earned my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies
CHSH(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)