Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Commenting out "expr" creates weird behavior Post 302873143 by CarloM on Monday 11th of November 2013 08:33:47 AM
Old 11-11-2013
If you want to disable substitution in a heredoc then you need to quote the tag string:
Code:
<<'EOF'
echo "Sum is: `expr $1 + $2`"
EOF

This User Gave Thanks to CarloM For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird problem with output from "date '+3600*%H+60*%M+%S' "

Hi, I came across a script a few months ago that allowed you to use the following script to include the current time into your prompt (useful from auditting purposes): # Set Prompt typeset -RZ2 _x1 _x2 _x3 let SECONDS=$(date '+3600*%H+60*%M+%S')... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: m223464
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

why "expr "${REPLY}" : '\([1-9][[:digit:]]*\)" can figure out whether it is a digit?

I found below script to check whether the variable is a digit in ksh. ############################ #!/bin/ksh REPLY="3f" if ]*\)'` != ${REPLY} && "${REPLY}" != "0" ]] then print "is digit\n" else print "not digit\n" fi ############################ Although it works fine, but... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sleepy_11
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

HowTo: reg expr doing grep "timestamp>$DesiredTime" logfile ?

I know I asked a similar question but I want to know if there is a regular expression existing that with a korn shell cmd, finds any timestamp data records in a file where it is greater then a timestamp in a shell variable ? something like : grep all records where it has a timestamp >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert a=(b/100)*a into a "expr" expression

Hi Guys, THis is the first time am using the expr expression. I like to know how to write the expression a=(b\100)*a. THis works fine if it gives without a bracket. the bracket should be present as i wanted to define the order of execution. Help me out. Thanks for your help in advance.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Odd" behavior exiting shell script

Is it normal behavior for a shell script that terminates to terminate its parent shell when executed with the "." option? For example, if I have the example script (we'll name it ex.sh): #!/bin/sh if then echo "Bye." exit 2 fi And I execute it like this: >./ex.sh It... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

"╭─ " Character combo in $PATH causes strange autocompletion behavior in zsh

I've posted about this before, but only recently narrowed the problem down to a specific cause. Ok, first of all, the behavior: It occurs when autocompletion brings up its list (not when there is only a single option). Basically, if I were to type, say, cd ~/<TAB> I would get something... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshaul
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Weird "sort" behavior

Hi, I'm trying to sort a text file "test": S12 S_S12 S_S1_12 S15 S_N15 S_N1_15 By "sort test", I get: S12 S15 S_N1_15 S_N15 S_S1_12 S_S12 It seems weird: Comparing Line 2 and Line 3, it must be that '-' is bigger than '1'; however, comparing Line 3 and Line 4, it seems that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: intermilan
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to lclear "expr: syntax error" eventhough everything looks fine?

Hi All, As per my knowledge in unix, my code looks fine. But still I am getting error (expr:syntax error). Please help me to resolve this error. Script : PRE_LBNO=0 PRE_DATE=0 TOT_PAY=0 TOT_REM=0 TOTAL=1 for Record_Type in `cut -c 1 Inputt.dat` do if ; then CURR_LBNO=` cut -c... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathanandhini
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird behavior of command "local"

Hi there, I'm running into a very weird situation. Let's forget about the purpose of my initial script please. I noticed the bug whatever I'm trying to do. I'm on an old server running bash 3.1.17. Say we have the following script : foo:~# cat /tmp/test #!/bin/bash f1() { local... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
9 Replies
let(1)								   User Commands							    let(1)

NAME
let - shell built-in function to evaluate one or more arithmetic expressions SYNOPSIS
ksh let arg... ksh93 let [expr...] DESCRIPTION
ksh Each arg is a separate arithmetic expression to be evaluated. ksh93 let evaluates each expr in the current shell environment as an arithmetic expression using ANSI C syntax. Variables names are shell vari- ables and they are recursively evaluated as arithmetic expressions to get numerical values. let has been made obsolete by the ((...)) syn- tax of ksh93(1) which does not require quoting of the operators to pass them as command arguments. EXIT STATUS
ksh ksh returns the following exit values: 0 The value of the last expression is non-zero. 1 The value of the last expression is zero. ksh93 ksh93 returns the following exit values: 0 The last expr evaluates to a non-zero value. >0 The last expr evaluates to 0 or an error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), ksh93(1), set(1), typeset(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 2 Nov 2007 let(1)