Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers awk code does not receive input Post 302872827 by RudiC on Sunday 10th of November 2013 07:47:27 AM
Old 11-10-2013
You can have like I posted in the command line, or you can run it in the BEGIN section of the script file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - input function

hello, im a newbie. how can i input data from keyboard? thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jariya
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/input parameter

Hi, My script takes in one input parameter($1-email id) on the command line... The script contains something like this... awk '$1 == 400' abc.log >def.log mail -s subject $1 <def.log abc.log looks something like this... 300 222 330 123 445 400 098 890 727 663 How do i make the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wannalearn
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 input files for awk

Hi, i have 2 files like f1 and f2 f1: 1 Note: some times it will be cahnged to 2 and 3. f2: 1:20 2:30 4:50 6:70 8:90 3:20 1:30 1:40 output: 1:80 (sum of 1) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk user input

Using the following I'm trying to print the user's response to the prompt Y / N but I get nothing other than the contents of $1? awk '{ printf($1 " ? (Y/N)") getline myresponse < "-" system("read myresponse") if (myresponse == "Y") { print $1... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK using two input files

Hi , i have two input files one is input.gz and another is ( input.txt) text file.in gz format input file each record contains 10 fields and corresponding header value is present in the text file as a single record i.e text file contains only 10 records which is header value,so output of the awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ajoy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hard code the input of a script

Hi All, I have a script Abc . This is has only the privilege of execution. I cannot see the code. When I run the script "Abc" , It display set of name in an random order with a number 1.e 1 James 2 john 3 jack 4 neil 5 bob If my name is neil , I am expected to type 4 and press enter Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailvkjain
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse input -AWK

Input File Defined configuration: cfg: CLL_DCC_Fabric_A BTS00P21; BAU_AP00P01QC; BAU_LGSCNJP02; BAU_TS00P20; BAU_DSMSM14; BAU_HT00P02; BAU_DSMSM13; BAU_HT00P01; cfg: CX0014_list BAU_TS00P20; BAU_NYP_PRODIAD1_CJ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: greycells
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input in perl code

Hello friends . I am newbie to perl scripting but still managed to write a code but i am stuck at a place where i need help . Below is the code and can someone help me in taking user input for changing the font size for a html table .Thank you in advance #!/bin/ksh echo " Enter the Directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input and run awk using the input

I am trying to allow a user to enter in text and then store that text in a variable $gene to run in an awk command in which those values are used to run some calculations. I am getting syntax errors however, when I try. Thank you :). The awk runs great if it is a pre-defined file that is used,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Looking for C code for MQ server to sed/receive messages

I am working on C program to connect to MQ websphere server send/receive messages. Can somebody give me examples of such program? Thanks for contribution (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
0 Replies
BEGIN(7)						  PostgreSQL 9.2.7 Documentation						  BEGIN(7)

NAME
BEGIN - start a transaction block SYNOPSIS
BEGIN [ WORK | TRANSACTION ] [ transaction_mode [, ...] ] where transaction_mode is one of: ISOLATION LEVEL { SERIALIZABLE | REPEATABLE READ | READ COMMITTED | READ UNCOMMITTED } READ WRITE | READ ONLY [ NOT ] DEFERRABLE DESCRIPTION
BEGIN initiates a transaction block, that is, all statements after a BEGIN command will be executed in a single transaction until an explicit COMMIT(7) or ROLLBACK(7) is given. By default (without BEGIN), PostgreSQL executes transactions in "autocommit" mode, that is, each statement is executed in its own transaction and a commit is implicitly performed at the end of the statement (if execution was successful, otherwise a rollback is done). Statements are executed more quickly in a transaction block, because transaction start/commit requires significant CPU and disk activity. Execution of multiple statements inside a transaction is also useful to ensure consistency when making several related changes: other sessions will be unable to see the intermediate states wherein not all the related updates have been done. If the isolation level, read/write mode, or deferrable mode is specified, the new transaction has those characteristics, as if SET TRANSACTION (SET_TRANSACTION(7)) was executed. PARAMETERS
WORK, TRANSACTION Optional key words. They have no effect. Refer to SET TRANSACTION (SET_TRANSACTION(7)) for information on the meaning of the other parameters to this statement. NOTES
START TRANSACTION (START_TRANSACTION(7)) has the same functionality as BEGIN. Use COMMIT(7) or ROLLBACK(7) to terminate a transaction block. Issuing BEGIN when already inside a transaction block will provoke a warning message. The state of the transaction is not affected. To nest transactions within a transaction block, use savepoints (see SAVEPOINT(7)). For reasons of backwards compatibility, the commas between successive transaction_modes can be omitted. EXAMPLES
To begin a transaction block: BEGIN; COMPATIBILITY
BEGIN is a PostgreSQL language extension. It is equivalent to the SQL-standard command START TRANSACTION (START_TRANSACTION(7)), whose reference page contains additional compatibility information. The DEFERRABLE transaction_mode is a PostgreSQL language extension. Incidentally, the BEGIN key word is used for a different purpose in embedded SQL. You are advised to be careful about the transaction semantics when porting database applications. SEE ALSO
COMMIT(7), ROLLBACK(7), START TRANSACTION (START_TRANSACTION(7)), SAVEPOINT(7) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 2014-02-17 BEGIN(7)