Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract lines with min value, using two field separators. Post 302872767 by pathunkathunk on Saturday 9th of November 2013 11:33:23 PM
Old 11-10-2013
This works for the example I gave, but would not work if the counts were 10, 11, 12, or 13. How could I specify minimum 4 rather than 4-9?

---------- Post updated at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:21 PM ----------

I just realized I used a bad input example--all lines had a value in the numerator of at least 4. I have changed it now so that the input and output are correct. Sorry to waste your time.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Multiple Field Separators

Hi Guys, I'm tying to split a line similar to this:YO6-2000-30.htm: (3 properties found).......into separate columns, so effectively I need to check for a -, ., :, a tab and a space in the statement. Any help would be appreciated Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tonka52
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need help counting the fields and field separators using Nawk

I need help counting the fields and field separators using Nawk. I have a file that has multiple lines on it and I need to read the file 1 at a time and then count the fields and field separators and then store those numbers in variables. I then need to delete the first 5 fields and the blank... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrappycc
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple input field Separators in awk.

I saw a couple of posts here referencing how to handle more than one input field separator in awk. I figured I would share how I (just!) figured out how to turn this line in a logfile: 90000000000000000000010001 name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinksville
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with changing field separators in a file

I have a file with content as shown below. cat t2 : 100,100,"X",1234,"12A",,,"ab,c" Comma is the field seperator, however string fields will be within double quotes and comma within double quotes should not be treated as field seperator. I am trying to replace this field seperator to a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk1216
7 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

awk Varing Field Separators

Hi Guys, I have small dilemma which I could do with a little help solving . I currently have text HDD S.M.A.R.T report which I have pasted below: smartctl 5.39 2008-10-24 22:33 (openSUSE RPM) Copyright (C) 2002-8 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net Device: COMPAQ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikerben
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can one use 2 field separators in awk?

I have files such as n02-z30-dsr65-terr0.25-dc0.008-16x12drw-run1.cmd I am wondering if it is possible to define two field separators "-" and "." for these strings so that $7 is run1. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract lines whose third field is 0

Hi, I have a file with colon separated values like below. How can i get those lines whose third field is 0 (zero). In the below example, lines starting with stapler and tempo has its third field as 0 $ cat list.txt galaxy:b:5:world stapler:a:0:hello abc:a:4:stomper kepler:uic:5:jam... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple long field separators

How do I use multiple field separators in awk? I know that if I use awk -F"", both a and b will be field separators. But what if I need two field separators that both are longer than one letter? If I want the field separators to be "ab" and "cd", I will not be able to use awk -F"". The ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing out data with multiple field separators

I have a large file that I need to print certain sections out of. file.txt /alpha/beta/delta/gamma/425/590/USC00015420.blah.lt.0.01.str:USC00015420Y2017M10BLALT.01 12 13 14 -9 1 -9 -9 -9 -9 -9 1 2 3 4 5 -9 -9 I need to print the "USC00015420" and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extract lines if string found from last 30 min only

Hi guys, Appreciate your help as I am stuck with searching the logs for last 30 minutes from the current time. Current time is time when you execute the script and it will search for <string> through the logs for last 30 minutes only and if <string> found then print those lines only. The... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockstar
18 Replies
SPLIT(1)							   User Commands							  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [OPTION]... [INPUT [PREFIX]] DESCRIPTION
Output fixed-size pieces of INPUT to PREFIXaa, PREFIXab, ...; default size is 1000 lines, and default PREFIX is 'x'. With no INPUT, or when INPUT is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a, --suffix-length=N generate suffixes of length N (default 2) --additional-suffix=SUFFIX append an additional SUFFIX to file names -b, --bytes=SIZE put SIZE bytes per output file -C, --line-bytes=SIZE put at most SIZE bytes of lines per output file -d, --numeric-suffixes[=FROM] use numeric suffixes instead of alphabetic; FROM changes the start value (default 0) -e, --elide-empty-files do not generate empty output files with '-n' --filter=COMMAND write to shell COMMAND; file name is $FILE -l, --lines=NUMBER put NUMBER lines per output file -n, --number=CHUNKS generate CHUNKS output files; see explanation below -u, --unbuffered immediately copy input to output with '-n r/...' --verbose print a diagnostic just before each output file is opened --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE is an integer and optional unit (example: 10M is 10*1024*1024). Units are K, M, G, T, P, E, Z, Y (powers of 1024) or KB, MB, ... (powers of 1000). CHUNKS may be: N split into N files based on size of input K/N output Kth of N to stdout l/N split into N files without splitting lines l/K/N output Kth of N to stdout without splitting lines r/N like 'l' but use round robin distribution r/K/N like- wise but only output Kth of N to stdout GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report split translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by Torbjorn Granlund and Richard M. Stallman. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for split is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and split programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'split invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 SPLIT(1)