Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep to remove non-ASCII characters Post 302872709 by owwow14 on Saturday 9th of November 2013 01:18:17 PM
Old 11-09-2013
Grep to remove non-ASCII characters

I have been having an encoding problem that I need to solve.
I have an 4-column tab-separated file: I need to remove all of the lines that contain the string 'vis-à-vis'

Code:
achiever-n    vis-à-vis+ns-j+vp    oppose-v    1
achiever-n    vis-à-vis+ns-the+vg    assess-v    1
administrator-n    vis-à-vis+n-the+n    position-n    1
adobe-n    vis-à-vis+n-a-j+n-a-j    ad-n    1

In this way, if my file contains 4 lines that contain 'vis-à-vis' they will all be filterd.
How can I do this with a one liner grep?

---------- Post updated at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:09 PM ----------

or I need something that removes all non-ascii characters..

or that does the opposite of this grep

Code:
grep --color='auto' -P -n '[^\x00-\x7F]' file

I have tried
Code:
grep --color='auto' -P -n '![^\x00-\x7F]' file

with no success

Last edited by owwow14; 11-09-2013 at 02:23 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

stupid question about ascii characters

i know it's out there, but I cannot remember how to check if a given ascii character string contains all digits or not ... any ideas? ie...function("123") --> OK function("NOT_A_NUMBER") --> returns error thanks!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters in a string using their ascii value

Hi All, In the HP Unix that i'm using when i initialise a string as Stalled="'30¬G'" Stalled=$Stalled" '30¬C'", it is taking the character ¬ as a comma. I need to grep for 30¬G 30¬C in a file and take its count. But since this character ¬ is not being understood, the count returns a zero. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roops
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Hex characters of ascii file

Hi, Whats the command or how do you display the hexadecimal characters of an ascii file. thanks Bud (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: budrito
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multibyte characters to ASCII

Hello, Is there any UNIX utility/command/executable that will convert mutlibyte characters to standard single byte ASCII characters in a given file? and Is there any UNIX utility/command/executable that will recognize multibyte characters in a given file name? The typical multibyte... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

New line characters in Ascii file

I am having a file(1234.txt) downloaded from windows server (in Ascii format).However when i ftp this file to Unix server and try to work with it..i am unable to do anything.When i try to open the file using vi editor the file opens in the following format ... @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: appu2176
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep or sed. How to remove certain characters

Here is my problem. I have a list of phone numbers that I want to use only the last 4 digits as PINs for something I am working on. I have all the numbers in a file but now I want to be removed all items EXCEPT the last 4 digits. I have seen sed commands and some grep commands but I am... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sucio
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing these non-ASCII characters from a file

Hi, I have many text files which contain some non-ASCII characters. I attach the screenshots of one of the files for people to have a look at. The issue is even after issuing the non-ASCII removal commands one of the characters does not go away. The character that goes away is the black one with a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep to remove and add specified characters

I have the following type of 2 column file: motility - role - supplementation - age b ancestry b purity b recommendation b serenity b unease b carving f expansion f I would like to print only certain sections of the file depending on the value of the second column. For instance,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Lower ASCII characters.

Hi, I'm writing a BBS telnet program. I'm having issues with it not displaying lower ASCII characters. For example, instead of displaying the "smiley face" character (Ctrl-B), it displays ^B. Is this because i'm using Ncurses? If so, is there any way around this? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignatius
3 Replies
GLXCREATEGLXPIXMAP()													      GLXCREATEGLXPIXMAP()

NAME
glXCreateGLXPixmap - create an off-screen GLX rendering area C SPECIFICATION
GLXPixmap glXCreateGLXPixmap( Display *dpy, XVisualInfo *vis, Pixmap pixmap ) delim $$ PARAMETERS
dpy Specifies the connection to the X server. vis Specifies the visual that defines the structure of the rendering area. It is a pointer to an XVisualInfo structure, not a visual ID or a pointer to a Visual. pixmap Specifies the X pixmap that will be used as the front left color buffer of the off-screen rendering area. DESCRIPTION
glXCreateGLXPixmap creates an off-screen rendering area and returns its XID. Any GLX rendering context that was created with respect to vis can be used to render into this off-screen area. Use glXMakeCurrent to associate the rendering area with a GLX rendering context. The X pixmap identified by pixmap is used as the front left buffer of the resulting off-screen rendering area. All other buffers specified by vis, including color buffers other than the front left buffer, are created without externally visible names. GLX pixmaps with double- buffering are supported. However, glXSwapBuffers is ignored by these pixmaps. Some implementations may not support GLX pixmaps with direct rendering contexts. NOTES
XVisualInfo is defined in Xutil.h. It is a structure that includes visual, visualID, screen, and depth elements. ERRORS
BadMatch is generated if the depth of pixmap does not match the depth value reported by core X11 for vis, or if pixmap was not created with respect to the same screen as vis. BadValue is generated if vis is not a valid XVisualInfo pointer (for example, if a particular GLX implementation does not support this vis- ual). BadPixmap is generated if pixmap is not a valid pixmap. BadAlloc is generated if the server cannot allocate the GLX pixmap. SEE ALSO
glXCreateContext, glXIsDirect, glXMakeCurrent GLXCREATEGLXPIXMAP()