Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading ls -l output line by line awk the user name and su user to run commands Post 302872581 by zubairom on Friday 8th of November 2013 05:37:05 PM
Old 11-08-2013
Actually the script I showed was only a part of a big script. In the main script I have another egrep filter to keep only the directories that match the pattern of SAS work directories, in the ls -l output. This is why I know that there won't be any directories with blanks in their name, in the ls -l output I am going to use in do while loop.

I did not show the complete script because I did not want to lose focus from my issue which was how to extract each owner id and su to the user to change permisions, which was solved by your script.

I agree with you that creating files/directories in UNIX with blanks is a very bad idea.... but from time ot time we do see users who do that.

Thanks again Smilie

Last edited by zubairom; 11-08-2013 at 06:42 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading ps command's output line by line

hi; as a pseudo; while read psLine do myFunc $psLine done < ps i don't want to redirect ps command's to a file. in fact, my problem is "how can i read stdout line by line in bash, sed, awk or any?" thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: s. murat
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How a normal user run a script including root privileaged commands

Dear all Ihave written a script in Hpux9.0, the ecript is working fine if I run it from root command prompt But when I am running it thru /etc/profile or /user/.profile and login as a normal user, the owner of the process running the script is the normal user & hence cant run a root privileaged... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: initin
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a file inside awk and processing line by line

Hi Sorry to multipost. I am opening the new thread because the earlier threads head was misleading to my current doubt. and i am stuck. list=`cat /u/Test/programs`; psg "ServTest" | awk -v listawk=$list '{ cmd_name=($5 ~ /^/)? $9:$8 for(pgmname in listawk) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anteus
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to take input from the user from the command line and execute commands basedon that?

Hi, I am using solaris 10 and bash shell.Script execution follows below.Initially it will check whether a directory exists or not if does not exist it will create it.(This I have completed) Second step:I have four users say user1,user2,user3,user4.Script should prompt for the user id and... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run a command line with another user without prompts for password

Hi, I'm writing a script, in the script I need to use tcpdump to capture some packets however it needs root priviledge my computer is configured by school and I have no real root priviledge so I can't use sudo on my computer,like Code: sudo tcpdump ...... I have to use a limited... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esolve
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run commands as root user

Hello I have a script which is working fine so far to generate HTML file. Now i am wondering how do i include a syntax where it can change itself to root user and execute a specific commands as root user. Please help, Thanks in advance. -Siddhesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
2 Replies

8. AIX

List of AIX commands that can be run by ROOT user ONLY

Hello, I am testing sudo and I want to test it. Can anyone please let me know few commands (of course other than shutdown, reboot etc. as I can't reboot the box) on AIX that can be run by ROOT only. Thanks ---------- Post updated at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 PM... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
5 Replies

9. HP-UX

How capture all user command line output?

Hi I want to know how capture all user command line output and save this commands and outputs to text files? if you have script for this subject please give me.:o please help me thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amvhd
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get an output of lines in pattern 1st line then 10th line then 11th line then 20th line and so on.

Input file: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sagar Singh
6 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specifed in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. JOIN(1)