Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Read input and match string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read input and match string Post 302872099 by Don Cragun on Thursday 7th of November 2013 04:18:40 PM
Old 11-07-2013
You didn't answer my question about which version of the Korn shell you're using. If you have a 1993 or later ksh there is an easy way to do this with arrays. If you have a 1988 vintage ksh, using arrays would be more trouble that it would help. I'll be happy to write one of them for you, but I don't want to take the time to do both this afternoon.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How i can read a long integer from standar input and a string with as many characters as specified..

how i can read a long integer from standar input and a string with as many characters as specified in the number? i thing that i must use the read command ofcourse.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aintour
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regex to match when input is not a certain string (can't use grep -v)

Hey everyone, Basically, all I'm looking for is a way to regex for not a certain string. The regex I'm looking to avoid matching is: D222 i.e. an equivalent of: awk '!/D222/' The problem is that I use this in the following command in a Bash script: ls ${source_directory} | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdelok
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

exact string match ; search and print match

I am trying to match a pattern exactly in a shell script. I have tried two methods awk '/\<mpath${CURR_MP}\>/{print $1 $2}' multipath perl -ne '/\bmpath${CURR_MP}\b/ and print' /var/tmp/multipath Both these methods require that I use the escape character. I am guessing that is why... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take input from read and place it a string in another file

Hi, This is most likely a dumb question but I could not find answer to it elsewhere. I'm building a simple menu with case /esac and want to read user's input: Please enter XYZ ; read XYZ How do I take the value of XYZ and insert it as a variable $XYZ in file file.txt ? I may need to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: svetoslav_sj
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match string from two file input

Hello all, I have file like this: file 1: aa bb cc dd ee file2: 111 111 111 111 111 111 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash piped while-read and a read user input at the same time

Hi I am new to writing script and want to use a Bash Piped while-read and read from user input. if something happens on server.log then do while loop or if something happend on user input then do while loop. Pseudocode something like: tail -n 3 -f server.log | while read serverline || read... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyMorris
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input files and merge them in given order and write them to input one param or one file

Dear Friends, I am looking for a shell script to merge input files into one file .. here is my idea: 1st paramter would be outfile file (all input files content) read all input files and merge them to input param 1 ex: if I pass 6 file names to the script then 1st file name as output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyd1234
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search String, Out matched text and input text for no match.

I need to search a string for some specific text which is no big deal using grep. My problem is when the search fails to find the text. I need to add text like "na" when my search does not match. I have tried this command but it does not work when I put the command in a loop in a bash script: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojojmac5
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input from Keyboard, do not proceed if no input

Hi, I am working on a script, which requests users to enter input. Ex: read -p "Please enter your email id:" email I don't want users skipping this entry, this has to be mandatory.I dont want to proceed without input. I can do a check if variable $email is empty and proceed if not.But, i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindadla
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use while loop to read file and use ${file} for both filename input into awk and as string to print

I have files named with different prefixes. From each I want to extract the first line containing a specific string, and then print that line along with the prefix. I've tried to do this with a while loop, but instead of printing the prefix I print the first line of the file twice. Files:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies
XZGREP(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZGREP(1)

NAME
xzgrep - search compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
xzgrep [grep_options] [-e] pattern file... xzegrep ... xzfgrep ... lzgrep ... lzegrep ... lzfgrep ... DESCRIPTION
xzgrep invokes grep(1) on files which may be either uncompressed or compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), or bzip2(1). All options specified are passed directly to grep(1). If no file is specified, then standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep(1). When reading from standard input, gzip(1) and bzip2(1) compressed files are not supported. If xzgrep is invoked as xzegrep or xzfgrep then egrep(1) or fgrep(1) is used instead of grep(1). The same applies to names lzgrep, lze- grep, and lzfgrep, which are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. ENVIRONMENT
GREP If the GREP environment variable is set, xzgrep uses it instead of grep(1), egrep(1), or fgrep(1). SEE ALSO
grep(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), zgrep(1) Tukaani 2010-09-27 XZGREP(1)