Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tailing logs from different files into one single file Post 302871839 by nisav on Thursday 7th of November 2013 04:58:01 AM
Old 11-07-2013
Tailing logs from different files into one single file

Hi

Please help me in finding a solution for tailing multiple log files and writing all of them into one common file.

I have 4 log files with same name in 4 different folders.
Whenever I post a Request - any one of these 4 log files gets updated with some log detail in the below format :

blah|blah|blah|blah|blah

ex:
Code:
/Top/Folder1/logfile.log
/Top/Folder2/logfile.log
/Top/Folder3/logfile.log
/Top/Folder4/logfile.log

Logging can happen in any of the above 4 logfile.log instances each time a request is sent to the Server.

I check if logging happens or not by tailing all the above 4 instances in 4 different windows which is very ineffective.

I want to make this simple by writing some script that will look up if any of the log files get updated whenever a request is sent & then write that line into one common file.

ex :
Code:
tail -f /Top/Folder1/logfile.log >> file.log
tail -f /Top/Folder2/logfile.log >> file.log
tail -f /Top/Folder3/logfile.log >> file.log
tail -f /Top/Folder4/logfile.log >> file.log

I want to tail only that common file each time to capture my Logs.

Thanks
S

Last edited by vbe; 11-07-2013 at 09:58 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tailing logs

Hi I'd like to achieve the ff functionality; tail -f log | grep keyword ...... and then perform a function. That is, I like to tail a log and when a certain keyword appears I then want my script to play an audio file for example. Any ideas?? Cheers M (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: squeakywheel
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tailing 2 or more log files simultaneously PERL

Hi, I am having issue where I have to tail 3 log files continuously (forever) and while I am reading the files , parse them and shove the data into DB. I can do this with one file totally fine but how can I read 3 files at the same time? I am not really looking for code (but would be nice) but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put multiple logs in single line?

Hi, I have a script which generates a log file on demand by redirecting the output to a log file. But the requirement is : echo A echo B echo C should print A B C not like A B C and this has to be handled in script only..not in the shell level (while running the script only) .... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tailing new log file & echo the string on console

Guys, I do have a script that runs to take the server out from network, after running the script it is writing the new log file{outFile} in to directory . Now what i need is my script should tail the last modified file{outFile} & search the string {Server Status} ans should echo the same at the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tailing last modified part of log file

I have a log file which contains data like this This log file is updated twice a day at 7am and 6pm, I want a script(which i will make run at 7:10am and 6:10pm) which should fetch only the last appended lines since last update.. I mean.. if i execute the script at 7.10am 3/3/2010 it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: user__user3110
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tailing a file which contains Control chracters

Hi. I have a log file which gets updated by a java process and it uses ASCII STX and ETX characters (i.e CTRL-B and CTRL-C characters) to demarcate each XML message logged. so the format of the file is something like STX XML_MESSAGE1 .. .. ETX STX XML_MESSAGE2 .. .. ETX each XML... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregoryp
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect all logs files contents into a single log file

Hi , I have a Data cleansing process which creates different log file for each step , when the process runs it creates following log files in below order: p1_tranfrmr_log.txt p1_tranfrmr_stats.txt p2_globrtr_log.txt p2_globrtr_stats.txt p3_cusparse_log.txt p3_cusparse_stats.txt ' '... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu_pal
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating 3 files into a single file

I have 3 files File1 C1 C2 c3 File 2 C1 c2 c3 File 3 C1 c2 c3 Now i want to have File1 as C1 c2 c3 I File2 as C1 c2 c3 O File3 as c1 c2 c3 D and these 3 files should be concatenated into a single file how can it be done in unix script? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste 2 single column files to a single file

Hi, I have 2 csv/txt files with single columns. I am trying to merge them using paste, but its not working.. output3.csv: flowerbomb everlon-jewelry sofft steve-madden dolce-gabbana-watchoutput2.csv: http://www1.abc.com/cms/slp/2/Flowerbomb http://www1.abc.com/cms/slp/2/Everlon-Jewelry... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Output file name and file contents of multiple files to a single file

I am trying to consolidate multiple information files (<hostname>.Linux.nfslist) into one file so that I can import it into Excel. I can get the file contents with cat *Linux.nfslist >> nfslist.txt. I need each line prefaced with the hostname. I am unsure how to do this. --- Post updated at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kentlee65
5 Replies
LOGSAVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							LOGSAVE(8)

NAME
logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile SYNOPSIS
logsave [ -asv ] logfile cmd_prog [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
The logsave program will execute cmd_prog with the specified argument(s), and save a copy of its output to logfile. If the containing directory for logfile does not exist, logsave will accumulate the output in memory until it can be written out. A copy of the output will also be written to standard output. If cmd_prog is a single hyphen ('-'), then instead of executing a program, logsave will take its input from standard input and save it in logfile logsave is useful for saving the output of initial boot scripts until the /var partition is mounted, so the output can be written to /var/log. OPTIONS
-a This option will cause the output to be appended to logfile, instead of replacing its current contents. -s This option will cause logsave to skip writing to the log file text which is bracketed with a control-A (ASCII 001 or Start of Header) and control-B (ASCII 002 or Start of Text). This allows progress bar information to be visible to the user on the console, while not being written to the log file. -v This option will make logsave to be more verbose in its output to the user. AUTHOR
Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) SEE ALSO
fsck(8) E2fsprogs version 1.44.1 March 2018 LOGSAVE(8)