Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Running two commands in background Post 302871555 by learnbash on Wednesday 6th of November 2013 11:23:21 AM
Old 11-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Try command1 & command2 &
Is there any way i just run the both commands in such a way that it will go in background not gives me a single output. Just keep running in background, I don't want whether it finish or not, just wants to put in background. if i follow above way, it is waiting for ouput.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

running in background

i have a script called server.sh. how to run this script in backgroung using nohup command (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running the Script in Background.

Gurus, Pls. help on this to run the script in background. I have a script to run the informatica workflows using PMCMD in script. Say the script name is test.sh & Parameters to the script is Y Y Y Y The no of parameters to the bove script is 4. all are going to be a flags. Each flag will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhutkl
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commands in background in a script

Hi, I was writing a script for backup,however i stumbled upon this.( As i mentioned in my earlier posts iam a beginner in shell scripting). Here is a piece of code case $DB_STAT in OFFLINE) echo "Service $SID currently $DB_STAT" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Running script in background

When I run the following snippet in background #!/bin/ksh while do echo "$i" sleep 10 i=`expr $i + 1` done My job got stopped and it says like + Stopped (SIGTTOU) ex1 & I did "stty tostop" as suggested in many of the post but still not working... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahnazurs
3 Replies

5. Solaris

About running processes in background

Hi, I need to establish a procedure that will start an application in background each time my remote Solaris server is (re)started. This would be a kind of daemon. I am no sysadmin expert, so I am looking for pointers. How should I proceed? What are the main steps? Thanks, JVerstry (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JVerstry
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running in background

Hello, I was trying to make some processes to run at background and went to a problem. First I tried just to loop in one line something like this: for i in {1..10}; do echo 'hello world' &; done; but it pops a syntax error, so I tried several ways to fix it but wasn't able to understand... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rash
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Where can I read about what happens when running commands in background

I want to know what happens when you run a shell builtin or an external script, vs an external binary. For example: ls uses stat() etc... with details that are as simple as possible, I am not a programmer, I am a sys admin. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
3 Replies

8. Solaris

running command in background

hi all i am running following command ufsdump 0ubf 512 /dev/rmt/0cbn /database/backup2/rman_backup/level1 >> /database/backup2/backup_tape/level1_rman_03aug12 2>&1; i want to run it in background how can i do it in this i am generating logs for backup. the problem occurs when i am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running script in background

Hi, I wrote a KSH script and running it on HP-UX machine I am running one script in background. My script is at location $HOME/myScript/test/background_sh When I view my script in background with psu commend > psu | grep background_sh I see following output UID PID PPID C ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhav
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Running process in the background

Hi, I have this simple c program that creates duplicate process with fork(): #include <sys/types.h> main() { if (fork() == 0) while(1); else while(1); } I tried running it in the background gcc -o test first.c test & And I got this list of running process: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uniran
4 Replies
pnmcrop(1)                                                    General Commands Manual                                                   pnmcrop(1)

NAME
pnmcrop - crop a portable anymap SYNOPSIS
pnmcrop [-white|-black|-sides] [-left] [-right] [-top] [-bottom] [pnmfile] All options may be abbreviated to their shortest unique prefix or specified with double hyphens. DESCRIPTION
Reads a PBM, PGM, or PPM image as input. Removes borders that are the background color, and produces the same type of image as output. If you don't specify otherwise, pnmcrop assumes the background color is whatever color the top left and right corners of the image are and if they are different colors, something midway between them. You can specify that the background is white or black with the -white and -black options or make pnmcrop base its guess on all four corners instead of just two with -sides. By default, pnmcrop chops off any stripe of background color it finds, on all four sides. You can tell pnmcrop to remove only specific borders with the -left, -right, -top, and -bottom options. If you want to chop a specific amount off the side of an image, use pnmcut. If you want to add different borders after removing the existing ones, use pnmcat or pnmcomp. OPTIONS
-white Take white to be the background color. pnmcrop removes borders which are white. -black Take black to be the background color. pnmcrop removes borders which are black. -sides Determine the background color from the colors of the four corners of the input image. pnmcrop removes borders which are of the background color. If at least three of the four corners are the same color, pnmcrop takes that as the background color. If not, pnmcrop looks for two corners of the same color in the following order, taking the first found as the background color: top, left, right, bottom. If all four corners are different colors, pnmcrop assumes an average of the four colors as the background color. The -sides option slows pnmcrop down, as it reads the entire image to determine the background color in addition to the up to three times that it would read it without -sides. -left Remove any left border. -right Remove any right border. -top Remove any top border. -bottom Remove any bottom border. -verbose Print on Standard Error information about the processing, including exactly how much is being cropped off of which sides. SEE ALSO
pnmcut(1), pnmfile(1), pnm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 18 March 2001 pnmcrop(1)