Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sort and list values from CSV Post 302871405 by RudiC on Wednesday 6th of November 2013 06:19:06 AM
Old 11-06-2013
a) your sample did not have 6 fields, so don't expect anything to be printed with above proposal.
b) SHOULD your input have 6 fields or more, and $6 being the relevant one, you should also make it the sort key: -k6,6

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to compare two csv files values and write into another csv file

Hi all, Am new to scripting. So i just need your ideas to help me out. Here goes my requirement. I have two csv files 1.csv 2.csv abc,1.24 abc,1 def,2.13 def,1 I need to compare the first column of 1.csv with 2.csv and if matches then need to compare... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinnahyd
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort the csv file

hello , the content of a csv file is looking like this... vah1 , imk4 , LDAP Secure. vah1 , fmk1 , Not able to SSH vah1 , fk1 ,Not able to SSH vah1 , imk1 , LDAP Secure. vah1 , imk3 , Un-Secured vah1 , fmk1 , LDAP Secure. vah1 , fk1 , LDAP Secure. vah1 , fmk1 , LDAP Secure. vah1 ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagendramv
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

return a list of unique values of a column from csv format file

Hi all, I have a huge csv file with the following format of data, Num SNPs, 549997 Total SNPs,555352 Num Samples, 157 SNP, SampleID, Allele1, Allele2 A001,AB1,A,A A002,AB1,A,A A003,AB1,A,A ... ... ... I would like to write out a list of unique SNP (column 1). Could you... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoeberunner
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort csv file

Hello, I am facing the following problem: I have a file in csv format. So several records where data fields are separated by comma ',' The lenght of the fields is variable, as well as the number of fields per record. But there are at least 7 fields per record. I need to sort the file based... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BSF
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

List unique values and count instances in .csv file

I need to take the second column of a .csv file and count the number of instances of each unique value in that same second column. I'd like the output to be value,count sorted by most instances. Thanks for any guidance! Data example: 317476,317756,0 816063,318861,0 313123,319091,0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: batcho
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort help: How to sort collected 'file list' by date stamp :

Hi Experts, I have a filelist collected from another server , now want to sort the output using date/time stamp filed. - Filed 6, 7,8 are showing the date/time/stamp. Here is the input: #---------------------------------------------------------------------- -rw------- 1 root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the X highest values in a list depending on the values of another list with bash/awk?

Hi everyone, This is an exemple of inpout.txt file (a "," delimited text file which can be open as csv file): ID, Code, Value, Store SP|01, AABBCDE, 15, 3 SP|01, AABBCDE, 14, 2 SP|01, AABBCDF, 13, 2 SP|01, AABBCDE, 16, 3 SP|02, AABBCED, 15, 2 SP|01, AABBCDF, 12, 3 SP|01, AABBCDD,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeremy589
1 Replies
sortbib(1)							   User Commands							sortbib(1)

NAME
sortbib - sort a bibliographic database SYNOPSIS
sortbib [-s KEYS] database... DESCRIPTION
sortbib sorts files of records containing refer key-letters by user-specified keys. Records may be separated by blank lines, or by `.[' and `.]' delimiters, but the two styles may not be mixed together. This program reads through each database and pulls out key fields, which are sorted separately. The sorted key fields contain the file pointer, byte offset, and length of corresponding records. These records are delivered using disk seeks and reads, so sortbib may not be used in a pipeline to read standard input. The most common key-letters and their meanings are given below. %A Author's name %B Book containing article referenced %C City (place of publication) %D Date of publication %E Editor of book containing article referenced %F Footnote number or label (supplied by refer) %G Government order number %H Header commentary, printed before reference %I Issuer (publisher) %J Journal containing article %K Keywords to use in locating reference %L Label field used by -k option of refer %M Bell Labs Memorandum (undefined) %N Number within volume %O Other commentary, printed at end of reference %P Page number(s) %Q Corporate or Foreign Author (unreversed) %R Report, paper, or thesis (unpublished) %S Series title %T Title of article or book %V Volume number %X Abstract -- used by roffbib, not by refer %Y,Z Ignored by refer By default, sortbib alphabetizes by the first %A and the %D fields, which contain the senior author and date. sortbib sorts on the last word on the %A line, which is assumed to be the author's last name. A word in the final position, such as `jr.' or `ed.', will be ignored if the name beforehand ends with a comma. Authors with two-word last names or unusual constructions can be sorted correctly by using the nroff convention `' in place of a blank. A %Q field is considered to be the same as %A, except sorting begins with the first, not the last, word. sortbib sorts on the last word of the %D line, usually the year. It also ignores leading articles (like `A' or `The') when sorting by titles in the %T or %J fields; it will ignore articles of any modern European language. If a sort-significant field is absent from a record, sortbib places that record before other records containing that field. No more than 16 databases may be sorted together at one time. Records longer than 4096 characters will be truncated. OPTIONS
-sKEYS Specify new KEYS. For instance, -sATD will sort by author, title, and date, while -sA+D will sort by all authors, and date. Sort keys past the fourth are not meaningful. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
addbib(1), indxbib(1), lookbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1), attributes(5) BUGS
Records with missing author fields should probably be sorted by title. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 sortbib(1)