Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Adding the corresponding values for every 5th consecutive numbers Post 302871051 by RudiC on Tuesday 5th of November 2013 11:31:15 AM
Old 11-05-2013
The logic you describe and the sample you give do not coincide. Anyhow, using 6 as the delta to increase your field 1 counter, try
Code:
awk     'NR==1          {printf "%s\t",$1; N=$1+6}
         $1>=N          {printf "%s\n%s\t",sum,N; N+=6; sum=0}
                        {sum+=$2}
         END            {printf "%s\n", sum}
        ' file
231    400
237    247.3
243    141.05
249    113.3

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting a range of consecutive numbers into a text file

I have a text file in the following format .... START 1,1 2,1 3,1 .. .. 9,1 10,1 END .... I want to change to the output to .... START 1,1 2,1 3,1 .. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VNR
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate consecutive field values

Hi, I have a file like this A Bob A Sam A John B David C Paul C Sandra If the consecutive field values in column one is same, then concatenate the corresponding strings. So, I need an output like this, A Bob_Sam_John B David C Paul_Sandra I usually work with excel but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: polsum
3 Replies

3. Programming

FORTRAN: Getting Consecutive DIST Values

I have this code and I want to get the first two consecutive distances (obtained by calling GET_TH(IT, 'DIST', DIST) at index IT, the result stored in DIST) for which (ITFLG(IT) .NE. 1). L_FIRST get the first DIST for which ITFLG(IT) .NE. 1. Getting a bit confused on how to achieve this. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding consecutive numbers in version names on a txt file

Hi all. I have a directory which contains files that can be versioned. All the files are named according to a pattern like this: TEXTSTRING1-001.EXTENSION TEXTSTRING2-001.EXTENSION TEXTSTRING3-001.EXTENSION ... TEXTSTRINGn-001.EXTENSION If a file is versioned, a file called ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fox1212
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print consecutive numbers in column2

Hi, I have an input file of the following style input.txt The 4000 at the end indicates the total no. of columns in that row. I would like to replace all -1s with consecutive 1 and 2 and print the whole line again. So, the output would be output.txt Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disruption of consecutive numbers

I do have a tab delimited file with the following format 200 46 201 67 204 89 205 98 206 89 208 890 210 23 .. ... 100's of rows I would like to output the missing consecutive number of the first column. The expected output will be: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to combine and insert missing consecutive numbers - awk or script?

Hi all, I have two (2) sets of files that are based on some snapshots of database that I want to merge and insert any missing sequential number. Below are example representation of these files: file1: DATE TIME COL1 COL2 COL3 COL4 ID 01/10/2013 0800 100 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sum every 3 consecutive numbers in a column

Dear All, I have a file with only one column. And I want to add every 3 consecutive numbers together and print the result. Input File: 21.1 10 10 55 11 99 10 8 4 Expected Output: 41.1 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NamS
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check/print missing number in a consecutive range and remove duplicate numbers

Hi, In an ideal scenario, I will have a listing of db transaction log that gets copied to a DR site and if I have them all, they will be numbered consecutively like below. 1_79811_01234567.arc 1_79812_01234567.arc 1_79813_01234567.arc 1_79814_01234567.arc 1_79815_01234567.arc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies
sum(1B) 					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						   sum(1B)

NAME
sum - calculate a checksum for a file SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/sum file... DESCRIPTION
sum calculates and displays a 16-bit checksum for the named file and displays the size of the file in kilobytes. It is typically used to look for bad spots, or to validate a file communicated over some transmission line. The checksum is calculated by an algorithm which may yield different results on machines with 16-bit ints and machines with 32-bit ints, so it cannot always be used to validate that a file has been transferred between machines with different-sized ints. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of sum when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sum(1), wc(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Read error is indistinguishable from EOF on most devices; check the block count. NOTES
sum and /usr/bin/sum (see sum(1)) return different checksums. This utility is obsolete. SunOS 5.11 8 Nov 1995 sum(1B)