Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: New line in Echo command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers New line in Echo command Post 302870067 by scott_cog on Friday 1st of November 2013 04:34:14 AM
Old 11-01-2013
Wow !! that works like Charm !!! thanks alot.

Now, in the same script, am using the same variable Var_name in an sed function to be parsed to replace a value with the variable value.
Original code :
Code:
sed 's/oldvalue/'"${Var_name}"'/g'

and its failing to get replaced,
Sed: Function s/oldvalue/##This is First Line. <br> cannot be parsed.

Is there any other options which we can do to get sorted.

Thanks in advance.
P

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to echo the file contents LINE BY LINE

hello, i have a listing (let say ABC) consists of the below: : public database link public synonym role rollback segment : when i run the below for loop, for i in `more ABC` do echo "$i" done it gives me, : public database (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie168
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of both the echo statement in one line

I have script like echo -n FINISHED FEXP: ${TABLE2EXP} echo $STATUS I want the output of both the echo statement in one line How can i do this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorp_rahul23
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

echo and new line

hi I want to display: The students are: a b c What I get from echo "The students are:" "$list" is The students are: a b c any idea? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

new line in echo

Hi i would like disply the new line in echo command. i have input like: echo " X1 02:12:13 X2 03:02:12 " out put: X1 02:12:13 X2 03:02:12 can you tell how can use new line option in echo command. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a Command To display "echo command value in loop" in single line.

Hi I want to display "echo command value in loop" in single line. My requirement is to show the input file (test_1.txt) like the output file (test_2.txt) given below. Input file :test_1.txt a1|b1|4|5 a1|b1|42|9 a2|b2|32|25 a1|b1|2|5 a3|b3|4|8 a2|b2|14|6 Output file:test_2.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo and a command's output on the same line

Hello, I'm writing some bash scripts and I'm trying to get an echo command and the output of another command to display on the same line. For example: I want to run echo "Operating System: " unameand have it displayed as Operating System: Darwin Thanks for your help! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: codyhazelwood
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo two command output in the same line

Hi, I try to write script and echo two command at the same line . echo "A" echo "B" How can I pipe above two command at the same line in text file . So, in the output text file , you can see below ??? A B not A B Any sugggestion ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read in a part of an echo line?

Hello, I have a very basic script #!/usr/bin/ksh while print ' ' print ' 1. View Command History ' print ' 2. List files in current Directory ' read opt'?Enter Option> ' ;do if ;then fc -l fi # if ;then ls -la I want to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to echo command successful if command is executed successfully

Hello, I have written a command n shell script : srvctl relocate service -d t1 -s s1 -i i1 -t t1 -f If the above command executes successfully without error I need to echo "Service relocated successfully and If it errors out I need to trap the errors in a file and also need to make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo printing a line in 2 lines; expected to print in one line

Dear All, fileName: therm.txt nc3h7o2h 7/27/98 thermc 3h 8o 2 0g 300.000 5000.000 1390.000 41 1.47017550e+01 1.71731699e-02-5.91205329e-06 9.21842570e-10-5.36438880e-14 2 -2.99988556e+04-4.93387892e+01 2.34710908e+00 4.34517484e-02-2.65357553e-05 3 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
7 Replies
GIT-UPDATE-REF(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-UPDATE-REF(1)

NAME
git-update-ref - Update the object name stored in a ref safely SYNOPSIS
git update-ref [-m <reason>] (-d <ref> [<oldvalue>] | [--no-deref] [--create-reflog] <ref> <newvalue> [<oldvalue>] | --stdin [-z]) DESCRIPTION
Given two arguments, stores the <newvalue> in the <ref>, possibly dereferencing the symbolic refs. E.g. git update-ref HEAD <newvalue> updates the current branch head to the new object. Given three arguments, stores the <newvalue> in the <ref>, possibly dereferencing the symbolic refs, after verifying that the current value of the <ref> matches <oldvalue>. E.g. git update-ref refs/heads/master <newvalue> <oldvalue> updates the master branch head to <newvalue> only if its current value is <oldvalue>. You can specify 40 "0" or an empty string as <oldvalue> to make sure that the ref you are creating does not exist. It also allows a "ref" file to be a symbolic pointer to another ref file by starting with the four-byte header sequence of "ref:". More importantly, it allows the update of a ref file to follow these symbolic pointers, whether they are symlinks or these "regular file symbolic refs". It follows real symlinks only if they start with "refs/": otherwise it will just try to read them and update them as a regular file (i.e. it will allow the filesystem to follow them, but will overwrite such a symlink to somewhere else with a regular filename). If --no-deref is given, <ref> itself is overwritten, rather than the result of following the symbolic pointers. In general, using git update-ref HEAD "$head" should be a lot safer than doing echo "$head" > "$GIT_DIR/HEAD" both from a symlink following standpoint and an error checking standpoint. The "refs/" rule for symlinks means that symlinks that point to "outside" the tree are safe: they'll be followed for reading but not for writing (so we'll never write through a ref symlink to some other tree, if you have copied a whole archive by creating a symlink tree). With -d flag, it deletes the named <ref> after verifying it still contains <oldvalue>. With --stdin, update-ref reads instructions from standard input and performs all modifications together. Specify commands of the form: update SP <ref> SP <newvalue> [SP <oldvalue>] LF create SP <ref> SP <newvalue> LF delete SP <ref> [SP <oldvalue>] LF verify SP <ref> [SP <oldvalue>] LF option SP <opt> LF With --create-reflog, update-ref will create a reflog for each ref even if one would not ordinarily be created. Quote fields containing whitespace as if they were strings in C source code; i.e., surrounded by double-quotes and with backslash escapes. Use 40 "0" characters or the empty string to specify a zero value. To specify a missing value, omit the value and its preceding SP entirely. Alternatively, use -z to specify in NUL-terminated format, without quoting: update SP <ref> NUL <newvalue> NUL [<oldvalue>] NUL create SP <ref> NUL <newvalue> NUL delete SP <ref> NUL [<oldvalue>] NUL verify SP <ref> NUL [<oldvalue>] NUL option SP <opt> NUL In this format, use 40 "0" to specify a zero value, and use the empty string to specify a missing value. In either format, values can be specified in any form that Git recognizes as an object name. Commands in any other format or a repeated <ref> produce an error. Command meanings are: update Set <ref> to <newvalue> after verifying <oldvalue>, if given. Specify a zero <newvalue> to ensure the ref does not exist after the update and/or a zero <oldvalue> to make sure the ref does not exist before the update. create Create <ref> with <newvalue> after verifying it does not exist. The given <newvalue> may not be zero. delete Delete <ref> after verifying it exists with <oldvalue>, if given. If given, <oldvalue> may not be zero. verify Verify <ref> against <oldvalue> but do not change it. If <oldvalue> zero or missing, the ref must not exist. option Modify behavior of the next command naming a <ref>. The only valid option is no-deref to avoid dereferencing a symbolic ref. If all <ref>s can be locked with matching <oldvalue>s simultaneously, all modifications are performed. Otherwise, no modifications are performed. Note that while each individual <ref> is updated or deleted atomically, a concurrent reader may still see a subset of the modifications. LOGGING UPDATES
If config parameter "core.logAllRefUpdates" is true and the ref is one under "refs/heads/", "refs/remotes/", "refs/notes/", or the symbolic ref HEAD; or the file "$GIT_DIR/logs/<ref>" exists then git update-ref will append a line to the log file "$GIT_DIR/logs/<ref>" (dereferencing all symbolic refs before creating the log name) describing the change in ref value. Log lines are formatted as: 1. oldsha1 SP newsha1 SP committer LF Where "oldsha1" is the 40 character hexadecimal value previously stored in <ref>, "newsha1" is the 40 character hexadecimal value of <newvalue> and "committer" is the committer's name, email address and date in the standard Git committer ident format. Optionally with -m: 1. oldsha1 SP newsha1 SP committer TAB message LF Where all fields are as described above and "message" is the value supplied to the -m option. An update will fail (without changing <ref>) if the current user is unable to create a new log file, append to the existing log file or does not have committer information available. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-UPDATE-REF(1)