Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace a field with line number in file Post 302869931 by Melah Gindi on Thursday 31st of October 2013 01:57:17 PM
Old 10-31-2013
Tools Replace a field with line number in file

I am working on a script to convert bank data to a csv file. I have the format done - columns etc. The final piece of the puzzle is to change the second field (after the R) of every line to reflect its' line number in the file. I am stumped. I can use awk on each line but need help looping through the file.

Sample file below:

Code:

"R","","t0000123","","10/29/2013","10/29/2013","","","","100.00"

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

fourth field is number in a line

hi i hav a file like 121212 asdd d 7 dfsdffdffsdfsdfsdfdf rrretrtrtre 121212 asdd d 5 dfsdffdffsdfsdfsdfdf rrretrtrtre 121212 asdd d 5 dfsdffdffsdfsdfsdfdf rrretrtrtre 121212 asdd d 4 dfsdffdffsdfsdfsdfdf rrretrtrtre 121212 asdd d 6 dfsdffdffsdfsdfsdfdf rrretrtrtre i need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To trim Certain field in a line of a file and replace the new string in that position

To trim 3rd field in for all the lines of a file and replace the modified string in that particular field. For example i have a file called Temp.txt having content Temp.txt ----------------- 100,234,M1234 400,234,K1734 300,345,T3456 ---------------- So the modified file output should... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpadhi
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace 2nd column for each line in a csv file with fixed string+random number

Hi experts, My csv file looks like this U;cake;michael;temp;;;; U;bread;john;temp;;;; U;cocktails;sarah;temp;;;; I'd like to change the value fo 2nd column to cf+random number , which will look maybe something like this U;cf20187;michael;temp;;;; U;cf8926;john;temp;;;;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace a field from a line with another field

i have something like this, cat filename.txt hui this si s"dfgdfg" omeone ipaddress="10.19.123.104" wel hope this works i want to replace only 10.19.123.104 with different ip say 10.19.123.103 i tried this sed -i "s/'ipaddress'/'ipaddress=10.19.123.103'/g" filename.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first number of each line in a file with another number

Hi, I have a set of files in a directory that I have to read and replace the first occurrence of a number with another dummy number. This is what I have so far but it does not seem to work. The files have lot of other data in each row and each data element is separated by ,@, for file in... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpioraghu
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first field of a line with previous filed of the line

Hi Everyone, I have a file as below: IM2345638,sherfvf,usha,30 IM384940374,deiufbd,usha,30 IM323763822,cdejdkdnbds,theju,15 0,dhejdncbfd,us,20 IM398202038,dhekjdkdld,tj,30 0,foifsjd,u2,40 The output i need is as below IM2345638,sherfvf,usha,30... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find number in a field then print the line and the number

Hi I want to use awk to match where field 3 contains a number within string - then print the line and just the number as a new field. The source file is pipe delimited and looks something like 1|net|ABC Letr1|1530||| 1|net|EXP_1040 ABC|1121||| 1|net|EXP_TG1224|1122||| 1|net|R_North|1123|||... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a number in the last line of a delimited file.

Hi all, I am fairly new to UNIX and I was wondering if you could provide me with some help! Lets say i have a file as below : Line 1 Line 2 Line 3 ABC|12|4|2 Now the number 4 in bold, this number will represent the number of row there is in the file excluding the header and footer... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stinza
10 Replies
PROCESSCSV.PY(1)					      Virtualization Support						  PROCESSCSV.PY(1)

NAME
processcsv.py - process virt-top CSV files SUMMARY
virt-top --csv data.csv processcsv.py < data.csv DESCRIPTION
virt-top is a top(1)-like utility for showing stats of virtualized domains. processcsv.py is a simple Python script that post-processes the output of "virt-top --csv". It is used like this: virt-top --csv data.csv processcsv.py < data.csv The second command will overwrite the following files in the current directory: "global.csv" This contains the global (host) statistics columns from the CSV file. "domainNN.csv" (multiple files) For each libvirt domain ID NN, a file is created containing the per-domain statistics from the CSV file. SEE ALSO
virt-top(1) AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones <rjones @ redhat . com> COPYRIGHT
(C) Copyright 2007-2012 Red Hat Inc., Richard W.M. Jones http://libvirt.org/ This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA. virt-top-1.0.8 2013-12-29 PROCESSCSV.PY(1)