Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Counting specific column and add result in output Post 302869923 by owwow14 on Thursday 31st of October 2013 01:09:05 PM
Old 10-31-2013
Your are correct.
I revised the answer to reflect the change.
Human error!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting occurences of specific charachter in a file

Hi, I need to count the number of occurences of the character " in a file that contains huge number of records. What command could I use? Please specify in detail since I am new :| Thanks much. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

egrep counting every 2 lines of result as 1

Hi, Can someone help me count this line: Say I have a file (file1.txt) that contains below: 11/16 13:08:19.5436 18096 --- Generating a <reading> event 11/16 13:08:19.7784 18096 ---- Sending a <writing> event 11/16 13:08:37.4516 18096 --- Generating a <reading> event 11/16... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Orbix
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the differences based on a specific rule

Hi, I've been trying to create a perl file to run something very specific. But I'm not getting any success. I'm not very good with hashing. I have a file with two columns (tab separated) (already sorted) 99890 + 100281 + 104919 - 109672 + 113428 - 114501 + 115357 + 115598 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: labrazil
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

4 column tsv file, output 1 specific column

Hello all siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com can output results in tsv format, when opened in excel I get 4 columns. I would like to wget that file, which I can do. I would then like to pull the 2nd column and output it only. I've searched around and found a few bits and pieces but nothing I've... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: casphar
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting rows line by line from a specific column using Awk

Dear UNIX community, I would like to to count characters from a specific row and have them displayed line-by-line. I have a file called testAwk2.csv which contain the following data: rabbit penguin goat giraffe emu ostrich I would like to count in the middle row individually... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnayak
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting specific words from the log

Hi, I need a shell script which can provide details from error logs like this Aug 23 21:19:41 red mountd: authenticated mount request from bl0110.bang.m pc.local:651 for /disk1/jobs (/disk1) Aug 23 08:49:52 red dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:25:90:2b:cd:7c via eth0: unknown client Aug 24... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshp
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting non-specific occurrences within a file.

I'm pretty new to scripting and didn't see an example of this issue yet. I am trying to count and print the total number of times each value is found within a file. Here is a short example of my starting file. value 3 value 3 value 3 value 3 value 4 value 6 value 6 value 6 value 6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: funkynmr
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwrite specific column in xml file with the specific column from adjacent line

I have an xml file dumped from rrd file, that I want to "patch" so the xml file doesn't contain any blank hole in the resulting graph of the rrd file. Here is the file. <!-- 2015-10-12 14:00:00 WIB / 1444633200 --> <row><v> 4.0419731265e+07 </v><v> 4.5045912770e+06... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rk4k
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Add column and multiply its result to all elements of another column

Input file is as follows: 1 | 6 2 | 7 3 | 8 4 | 9 5 | 10 Output reuired (sum of the first column $1*$2) 1 | 6 | 90 2 | 7 | 105 3 | 8 | 120 4 |9 | 135 5 |10 | 150 Please enclose sample input, sample output, and code... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sagar Singh
5 Replies
Moose::Cookbook::Basics::Genome_OverloadingSubtypesAndCoUseroContributed Perl DMoose::Cookbook::Basics::Genome_OverloadingSubtypesAndCoercion(3pm)

NAME
Moose::Cookbook::Basics::Genome_OverloadingSubtypesAndCoercion - Operator overloading, subtypes, and coercion VERSION
version 2.0603 SYNOPSIS
package Human; use Moose; use Moose::Util::TypeConstraints; subtype 'Sex' => as 'Str' => where { $_ =~ m{^[mf]$}s }; has 'sex' => ( is => 'ro', isa => 'Sex', required => 1 ); has 'mother' => ( is => 'ro', isa => 'Human' ); has 'father' => ( is => 'ro', isa => 'Human' ); use overload '+' => &_overload_add, fallback => 1; sub _overload_add { my ( $one, $two ) = @_; die('Only male and female humans may create children') if ( $one->sex() eq $two->sex() ); my ( $mother, $father ) = ( $one->sex eq 'f' ? ( $one, $two ) : ( $two, $one ) ); my $sex = 'f'; $sex = 'm' if ( rand() >= 0.5 ); return Human->new( sex => $sex, mother => $mother, father => $father, ); } DESCRIPTION
This Moose cookbook recipe shows how operator overloading, coercion, and subtypes can be used to mimic the human reproductive system (well, the selection of genes at least). INTRODUCTION
Our "Human" class uses operator overloading to allow us to "add" two humans together and produce a child. Our implementation does require that the two objects be of opposite sex. Remember, we're talking about biological reproduction, not marriage. While this example works as-is, we can take it a lot further by adding genes into the mix. We'll add the two genes that control eye color, and use overloading to combine the genes from the parent to model the biology. What is Operator Overloading? Overloading is not a Moose-specific feature. It's a general OO concept that is implemented in Perl with the "overload" pragma. Overloading lets objects do something sane when used with Perl's built in operators, like addition ("+") or when used as a string. In this example we overload addition so we can write code like "$child = $mother + $father". GENES
There are many genes which affect eye color, but there are two which are most important, gey and bey2. We will start by making a class for each gene. Human::Gene::bey2 package Human::Gene::bey2; use Moose; use Moose::Util::TypeConstraints; type 'bey2_color' => where { $_ =~ m{^(?:brown|blue)$} }; has 'color' => ( is => 'ro', isa => 'bey2_color' ); This class is trivial. We have a type constraint for the allowed colors, and a "color" attribute. Human::Gene::gey package Human::Gene::gey; use Moose; use Moose::Util::TypeConstraints; type 'gey_color' => where { $_ =~ m{^(?:green|blue)$} }; has 'color' => ( is => 'ro', isa => 'gey_color' ); This is nearly identical to the "Humane::Gene::bey2" class, except that the gey gene allows for different colors. EYE COLOR
We could just give four attributes (two of each gene) to the "Human" class, but this is a bit messy. Instead, we'll abstract the genes into a container class, "Human::EyeColor". Then a "Human" can have a single "eye_color" attribute. package Human::EyeColor; use Moose; use Moose::Util::TypeConstraints; coerce 'Human::Gene::bey2' => from 'Str' => via { Human::Gene::bey2->new( color => $_ ) }; coerce 'Human::Gene::gey' => from 'Str' => via { Human::Gene::gey->new( color => $_ ) }; has [qw( bey2_1 bey2_2 )] => ( is => 'ro', isa => 'Human::Gene::bey2', coerce => 1 ); has [qw( gey_1 gey_2 )] => ( is => 'ro', isa => 'Human::Gene::gey', coerce => 1 ); The eye color class has two of each type of gene. We've also created a coercion for each class that coerces a string into a new object. Note that a coercion will fail if it attempts to coerce a string like "indigo", because that is not a valid color for either type of gene. As an aside, you can see that we can define several identical attributes at once by supplying an array reference of names as the first argument to "has". We also need a method to calculate the actual eye color that results from a set of genes. The bey2 brown gene is dominant over both blue and green. The gey green gene is dominant over blue. sub color { my ($self) = @_; return 'brown' if ( $self->bey2_1->color() eq 'brown' or $self->bey2_2->color() eq 'brown' ); return 'green' if ( $self->gey_1->color() eq 'green' or $self->gey_2->color() eq 'green' ); return 'blue'; } We'd like to be able to treat a "Human::EyeColor" object as a string, so we define a string overloading for the class: use overload '""' => &color, fallback => 1; Finally, we need to define overloading for addition. That way we can add together two "Human::EyeColor" objects and get a new one with a new (genetically correct) eye color. use overload '+' => &_overload_add, fallback => 1; sub _overload_add { my ( $one, $two ) = @_; my $one_bey2 = 'bey2_' . _rand2(); my $two_bey2 = 'bey2_' . _rand2(); my $one_gey = 'gey_' . _rand2(); my $two_gey = 'gey_' . _rand2(); return Human::EyeColor->new( bey2_1 => $one->$one_bey2->color(), bey2_2 => $two->$two_bey2->color(), gey_1 => $one->$one_gey->color(), gey_2 => $two->$two_gey->color(), ); } sub _rand2 { return 1 + int( rand(2) ); } When two eye color objects are added together, the "_overload_add()" method will be passed two "Human::EyeColor" objects. These are the left and right side operands for the "+" operator. This method returns a new "Human::EyeColor" object. ADDING EYE COLOR TO ";Human"s Our original "Human" class requires just a few changes to incorporate our new "Human::EyeColor" class. use List::MoreUtils qw( zip ); coerce 'Human::EyeColor' => from 'ArrayRef' => via { my @genes = qw( bey2_1 bey2_2 gey_1 gey_2 ); return Human::EyeColor->new( zip( @genes, @{$_} ) ); }; has 'eye_color' => ( is => 'ro', isa => 'Human::EyeColor', coerce => 1, required => 1, ); We also need to modify "_overload_add()" in the "Human" class to account for eye color: return Human->new( sex => $sex, eye_color => ( $one->eye_color() + $two->eye_color() ), mother => $mother, father => $father, ); CONCLUSION
The three techniques we used, overloading, subtypes, and coercion, combine to provide a powerful interface. If you'd like to learn more about overloading, please read the documentation for the overload pragma. To see all the code we created together, take a look at t/recipes/basics_recipe9.t. NEXT STEPS
Had this been a real project we'd probably want: Better Randomization with Crypt::Random Characteristic Base Class Mutating Genes More Characteristics Artificial Life LICENSE
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License. License details are at: <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/> AUTHOR
Moose is maintained by the Moose Cabal, along with the help of many contributors. See "CABAL" in Moose and "CONTRIBUTORS" in Moose for details. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2012 by Infinity Interactive, Inc.. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-28 Moose::Cookbook::Basics::Genome_OverloadingSubtypesAndCoercion(3pm)