Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Help in adding a string at the end of each line and append files vertically Post 302869233 by senkerth on Wednesday 30th of October 2013 12:05:36 AM
Old 10-30-2013
Help in adding a string at the end of each line and append files vertically

hi,

i need a help in the script , need to append a string at the end of each line of a files , and append the files into a single file vertically.

eg

file1 has the following columns
Code:
abc,def,aaa
aaa,aa,aaa

files 2 has the following rows and columns
Code:
abc,def,aaa
aaa,aa,aaa

i want append unix at the end of each files , which will be like the following
Code:
file1 
abc,def,aaa,unix
aaa,aa,aaa,unix
file2
abc,def,aaa,unix
aaa,aa,aaa,unix

later i want to concat file1 and file2 into a single file
Code:
abc,def,aaa,unix
aaa,aa,aaa,unix
abc,def,aaa,unix
aaa,aa,aaa,unix

i want to do this in a script.. help me on this

thanks
senthil

Last edited by Scott; 10-30-2013 at 01:46 AM.. Reason: Another reminder to use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HOWTO Append String to End of Line

I have a comma delimited text file and need to appened ",000000" to the end of every line. For example: Before: "D700000","2006" ,"5000","Open Year" ,"Conversion" ,"Wk64","Productive Payroll $" ,1103.45 After: "D700000","2006" ,"5000","Open Year" ,"Conversion" ,"Wk64","Productive Payroll... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bggibson
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

search directory-find files-append at end of line

Hi, I have a command "get_data" with some parameters in few *.text files of a directory. I want to first find those files that contain this command and then append the following parameter to the end of the command. example of an entry in the file :- get_data -x -m50 /etc/web/getid this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PrasannaKS
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I append a string at the end of a line in a file

Hi, guys. I have one question: I have a file called "group", the contents of it is below: ******************************** ... test:x:203: sales:x:204: repair:x:205: research:x:206:brownj ... *********** Now I want to add string ",sherrys" at the end of "research:x:206:brownj", so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append a string at the end of every line in a file

Hi Friends, I have a file with many lines as shown below. /START SAMPLE LINE/ M:\mmarimut_v6.4.0_pit_01\java\build.xml@@\main\v6.4.0_pit_a M:\mmarimut_v6.4.0_pit_01\port\Post.java@@\main\v6.4.0_pit_a M:\mmarimut_v6.4.0_pit_01\switchview\View.java@@\main\v6.4.0_pit_a /END SAMPLE LINE/ I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmattam
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append the end of each line in a file with a given string

Hi friends, I have a file containing many lines as follows. M:\mmarimut_v6.4.0_pit_01\java\build.xml@@\main\v6.4.0_pit_a M:\mmarimut_v6.4.0_pit_01\ADBasicView.java@@\main\v6.4.0_pit_a I would like to append the string "\0" at the end of each line in the file. The output should look... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmattam
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a certain line and append text to the end of the line

After I create printer queues in AIX, I have to append a filter file location within that printers custom file. within lets say test_queue.txt I need to find the row that starts with :699 and then I need to append on the end the string /usr/local/bin/k_portrait.sh. Now I've gotten the sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peachclift
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string, then append character to end of that line only

I have 2 files that I am working with $ cat file1 server1 server3 server5 server6 server8 $ cat file2 server1;Solaris; server2; SLES; server3;Linux; server4; Solaris; server5;SLES; server6;SLES; server7;Solaris; server8;Linux; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snoman1
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding info to end of line if two columns match from files with different separators

I have two files (csv and vcf) which look exactly like this S1.csv func,gene,start,info "exonic","AL","2309","het" "exonic","NEF","6912","hom"S1.vcf ##fileinfo #CHROM POS ID INFO chr1 4567 rs323211 1/1:84,104,99 chr4 2309 rs346742 1/1:27,213,90 chr6 5834 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sarah_19
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Find a String and append a text end of the Line

Hi, I have a File, which have multiple rows. Like below 123456 Test1 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY 123457 Test2 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Super XXXXXX. YYYY 123458 Test3 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY I want to search a line which contains PB MO Approver and append... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: java2006
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append this string to end of each line

Platform: Solaris 10 I have a file like below $ cat languages.txt Spanish Norwegian English Persian German Portugese Chinese Korean Hindi Malayalam Bengali Italian Greek Arabic I want to append the string " is a great language" at end of each line in this file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
3 Replies
STRING(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 STRING(3)

NAME
strcat, strncat, strcmp, strncmp, strcasecmp, strncasecmp, strcpy, strncpy, strlen, index, rindex - string operations SYNOPSIS
#include <strings.h> char *strcat(s, append) char *s, *append; char *strncat(s, append, count) char *s, *append; int count; strcmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; strcasecmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncasecmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; char *strcpy(to, from) char *to, *from; char *strncpy(to, from, count) char *to, *from; int count; strlen(s) char *s; char *index(s, c) char *s, c; char *rindex(s, c) char *s, c; DESCRIPTION
These functions operate on null-terminated strings. They do not check for overflow of any receiving string. Strcat appends a copy of string append to the end of string s. Strncat copies at most count characters. Both return a pointer to the null- terminated result. Strcmp compares its arguments and returns an integer greater than, equal to, or less than 0, according as s1 is lexicographically greater than, equal to, or less than s2. Strncmp makes the same comparison but looks at at most count characters. Strcasecmp and strncasecmp are identical in function, but are case insensitive. The returned lexicographic difference reflects a conversion to lower-case. Strcpy copies string from to to, stopping after the null character has been moved. Strncpy copies exactly count characters, appending nulls if from is less than count characters in length; the target may not be null-terminated if the length of from is count or more. Both return to. Strlen returns the number of non-null characters in s. Index (rindex) returns a pointer to the first (last) occurrence of character c in string s or zero if c does not occur in the string. Set- ting c to NULL works. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1987 STRING(3)