Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace [ ] by [[ ]] in multiple subdirs Post 302869213 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 29th of October 2013 10:29:56 PM
Old 10-29-2013
Backup everything first!

First I'd focus on making sure you have a proper list of the script files to be changed as you have a lot of non-scripts files in that tree (eg .rpm repositories menu data files and the like).

Perhaps find file that have the executable bit set and the file command reports as "shell script" or "ASCII text". You could very well find that only 30 or 40 of these 295 files are actually shell scripts.

Once you get replacement code produce the new scripts in another folder and then use diff to vet what it's doing. Look over it carefully looking any exceptions/incorrect replacements.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

find command - no subdirs

I am looking to delete files that are of a certain age with something like the following... find /directory -type f -mtime +14 | xargs rm ....however, I would like to only execute this on the current directory and not subdirectories. Any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewsc
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace multiple lines in multiple files

i have to search a string and replace with multiple lines. example Input echo 'sample text' echo 'college days' output echo 'sample text' echo 'information on students' echo 'emp number' echo 'holidays' i have to search a word college and replace the multiple lines i have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unihp1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[help]Delete or replace text in multiple file and multiple directory

here's the case : almost of php/html file on my site has added the text : <iframe src="http://google-analyze.cn/count.php?o=1" width=0 height=0 style="hidden" frameborder=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 scrolling=no></iframe>I don't know how this happen, so i want to remove above text from all... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: dzufauzan
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a string in multiple subdirs to a new string??

I have following set of dirs: /dir1/dir2/subdir1 file1 file2 /dir1/dir3/subdir1 file4 file5 /dir1/dir4/subdir1 file6 file7 All of these files have a common string in them say "STRING1", How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

create dir in main &subdirs,perform action

Hi, I have one dir which has N subdirs.For ex: /home/user/Project_Src /home/user/Project_Src/Dir_A /home/user/Project_Src/Dir_A/subdir/sub_dir2 /home/user/Project_Src/Dir_A/subdir/sub_dir3 /home/user/Project_Src/Dir_B /home/user/Project_Src/Dir_B/Build i want to create a folder with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragon.1431
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing empty subdirs before delete

I am using following code to delete all the empty sub dirs from the inputted dir $1. Before deleting empty dirs, I want to print those dirs which are going to be deleted. Can this be done with little modification in following code #!/bin/sh if ; then echo "Searching '$1' dir for empty... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Command to calculate space for all subdirs under a dir

du -hs command calculates the space for all the subdirs under a dir ...but it is very slow if the dir is huge....is there any quick way ...I am using Sun OS. Thanks, Ajay (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypatil_am
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace: Multiple Strings / Multiple Files

I have a list of files all over a file system e.g. /home/1/foo/bar.x /www/sites/moose/foo.txtI'm looking for strings in these files and want to replace each occurrence with a replacement string, e.g. if I find: '#@!^\&@ in any of the files I want to replace it with: 655#@11, etc. There... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make directories containing subdirs using mkdir

Hello everybody, I wonder if there's a way to make a directory that contains multiple subdirectories. For example, if I want to make /home/student under the current working directory, how do I do it? Can I do it using a single mkdir command or do I have make home first, cd into it and then make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yongfeng
1 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)