Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to define a variable in a BASH script by using a JSON file online? Post 302869177 by nbsparks on Tuesday 29th of October 2013 05:47:52 PM
Old 10-29-2013
How to define a variable in a BASH script by using a JSON file online?

Hello,

I would like to modify an existing script of mine that uses a manually defined "MCVERSION" variable and make it define that variable instead based on this JSON file stored online:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.D.../versions.json

Within that JSON, I 'm looking for this information:
Code:
{
  "latest": {
    "snapshot": "1.7.2",
    "release": "1.7.2"
  },

I want $MCVERSION to equal the "latest/release" value above (in this case, MCVERSION=1.7.2). I'm perfectly OK with pulling the JSON file down locally first via "wget" command. In fact, I'd prefer that so I can reference it if needed if my script fails (in case they change their JSON file format).

Here is my script (not that it matters too much for this example, I doubt).
Code:
#!/bin/bash

#### Define the current version of Minecraft
MCVERSION=1.7.2

#### Remove any current versions and create new folder for the JAR file
cd /home/mcmaps/.minecraft/versions
rm * -rf
mkdir $MCVERSION
cd /home/mcmaps/.minecraft/versions/$MCVERSION/

#### Download fresh copy of Minecraft JAR file for use of textures
wget https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/versions/$MCVERSION/$MCVERSION.jar -P ~/.minecraft/versions/$MCVERSION/

Currently, the script results in creating this file:
/home/mcmaps/.minecraft/versions/1.7.2/1.7.2.jar

The goal is to do that without ever having to manually modify the MCVERSION variable in this script.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - define a variable

Hello, I would like to define a variable based on another variable: a=5 b$a=100 This does not work. What is the right way to do it? Thanks ---------- Post updated at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:33 PM ---------- Found my answer with the search function (did not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about define variable.

Hi, Unix Gurus, In our existing file, there is a script like #!/bin/sh step=${1:-0} cur_step=10 if ... My question is what's "${1:-0}" mean? I know it defines a variable but I don't know what's (1:-0) mean? :wall: Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Define variable from file.

HI I have file A.txt _1A _2A _3A _4A I want define all as different variable. $1A=_1A $2B=_2A $3C=_3A $4D=_4A Now i can use any variable in my script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - cygwin (powershell?) pull from GitHub API Parse JSON

All, Have a weird issue where i need to generate a report from GitHub monthly detailing user accounts and the last time they logged in. I'm using a windows box to do this (work issued) and would like to know if anyone has any experience scripting for GitAPI using windows / cygwin / powershell?... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChocoTaco
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define two digits variable in shell script?

Dear Shell script Experts, I am working on shell script which is defined here, qsub_seq.csh . The purpose of this script is to read few input files (with defined starting index and last index) and make processing faster over server. For some task, I had 1064 of input files, so I wrote another... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing and Editing a json file with bash script

I am trying to automate editing of a json file using bash script. The file I initially receive is { "appMap": { "URL1": { "name": "a" }, "URL2": { "name": "b" }, "URL3": { "name": "c" }, } WHat I would like to do is replace... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

JSON structure to table form in awk, bash

Hello guys, I want to parse a JSON file in order to get the data in a table form. My JSON file is like this: { "document":{ "page": }, { "column": } ] }, { ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gescad
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Building JSON command with bash script

Hello. I'm new to bash script and I'm learning the basics by writing some scripts. Recently a friend of mine asked me if I could try to write a script to him to automate a couple of processes that uses JSON RPCs. I'll try to explain in few words the workflow just to contextualize the problem.... (48 Replies)
Discussion started by: psysc0rpi0n
48 Replies
JIGDO-LITE(1)															     JIGDO-LITE(1)

NAME
jigdo-lite - Download jigdo files using wget SYNOPSIS
jigdo-lite [ URL ] DESCRIPTION
See jigdo-file(1) for an introduction to Jigsaw Download. Given the URL of a `.jigdo' file, jigdo-lite downloads the large file (e.g. a CD image) that has been made available through that URL. wget(1) is used to download the necessary pieces of administrative data (contained in the `.jigdo' file and a corresponding `.template' file) as well as the many pieces that the large file is made from. The jigdo-file(1) utility is used to reconstruct the large file from the pieces. `.jigdo' files that contain references to Debian mirrors are treated specially: When such a file is recognized, you are asked to select one mirror out of a list of all Debian mirrors. If URL is not given on the command line, the script prompts for a location to download the `.jigdo' file from. The following command line options are recognized: -h --help Output short summary of command syntax. -v --version Output version number. --scan FILES Do not ask for "Files to scan", use this path. --noask Do not ask any questions, instead behave as if the user had pressed Return at all prompts. This can be useful when running jigdo- lite from cron jobs or in other non-interactive environments. SEE ALSO
jigdo-file(1), jigdo-mirror(1), wget(1) (or `info wget') CD images for Debian Linux can be downloaded with jigdo <URL:http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/>. AUTHOR
Jigsaw Download <URL:http://atterer.net/jigdo/> was written by Richard Atterer <jigdo atterer.net>, to make downloading of CD ROM images for the Debian Linux distribution more convenient. 19 May 2006 JIGDO-LITE(1)