Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh PS4 variable assign to `date` output Post 302868939 by aoussenko on Tuesday 29th of October 2013 10:09:44 AM
Old 10-29-2013
ksh PS4 variable assign to `date` output

Hi guys,
Is there a way to assign curent time to PS4 variable in ksh. My goal is to have each line produced by 'set -x' command to have a time stamp.
Here is my code:

Code:
$cat test
#!/usr/bin/ksh
export PS4="`date` [${LINENO}]"
set -x
echo "TRACE LINE ONE"
echo "I WILL SLEEP FOR 10 SEC"
sleep 10
echo "TRACE LINE TWO"
exit 0
$

and this is an output:

Code:
$./test
Tue Oct 29 10:05:53 EDT 2013 [2]echo TRACE LINE ONE
TRACE LINE ONE
Tue Oct 29 10:05:53 EDT 2013 [2]echo I WILL SLEEP FOR 10 SEC
I WILL SLEEP FOR 10 SEC
Tue Oct 29 10:05:53 EDT 2013 [2]sleep 10
Tue Oct 29 10:05:53 EDT 2013 [2]echo TRACE LINE TWO
TRACE LINE TWO
Tue Oct 29 10:05:53 EDT 2013 [2]exit 0
$

Note: the time stamp remains the same although 'sleep 10' should have change it.
May be someone know how to make the time to change dynamically
I am in ksh88.
Thanks a lot for any advice.....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to assign an output to a variable

Hi, I am giving a grep command, and i am getting the output. i want to store it in a variable for eg a = grep '12345' /dir/1/2/log.txt ( the output is number) b= grep 'basic' /dir/1/2/log1.txt (in this case the output is character) so how to assign the output of grep to a variable ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

hot to assign output to a variable

I want to assign a comment to a veriable for example my program head -1 myfile I want to assıgn output to a variable (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walnut
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign command (with pipe) output to a variable

Hi , I would like to assign command (with pipe) output to a variable. The code is as follows. The goal of the code is to get the last folder folder with a particular name pattern. myDate=`ls | grep 2009 | tail -1` echo "myDate=" $myDate However, in the presence of the pipe, the code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeff_cen
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk output to bash variable

greetings all, I am have a heck of a time trying to accomplish a very simple thing. I have an array of "shortname<spaces>id" created from a dscl output. I want to assign shortname=word1 and id=word2. I have tried shortname=$(${textArray} | awk '{print $1}') - and get 'awk : cannot open... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macnetdaemon
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign dscl output to variable as an array

Greetings folks, I am trying to assign the output of a dscl command (contains name<spaces>id) to a variable as an array. Currently I am piping the output into a tmp file, then reading the tmp file into an array, then parsing the array. I would like to bypass creating the tmp file portion of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: macnetdaemon
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign perl output to ksh shell variable

Hello, I am writing a ksh script on an AIX system. I need to get the date and time from a file into a variable. I found the following perl script from another post on this site and modified it slightly to output the format I need: perl -e '@d=localtime ((stat(shift)));... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swimp
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign field value in a .csv file to a variable using ksh

Hi, I'm new to the scripting world... I want to know that how can I assign the the field value(that has multiple lines) of a .csv file to a variable??? Model of my .csv file : 1 Poppy 5 2 red 6 3 black 5 4 white 8 and so on,the list... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srim
4 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

assign yesterday's date to variable

Hi, i am trying to assign yesterday's date to a variable on below system - Machine hardware: sun4u OS version: 5.9 Processor type: sparc usr> setenv dt `date +"%Y%m%d"` usr> echo $dt 20100820 i am able to assign today's date but similarly i want to assign yesterday's... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulbahulekar
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign date to a variable

hi, i've just started learning a bit of shell scripting and i wanted to know how to assign the value of the day of the month (i think the command for that is date +%d) to a variable say 'd' so that i can display 'st', 'nd', 'rd' and 'th' depending upon the value of that variable. i'd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xXWiLdAcEXx
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign output to dynamic variable

Hi Folks, I am trying to assign a value from the command to a dynamic variable. But I am not getting the desired output.. I am sure something is wrong so i need experts advise. There will be multiple files like /var/tmp/server_1, /var/tmp/server_2, /var/tmp/server_3, having different server... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
6 Replies
shift(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)